Accident on NSHW with a malaysia car

ChaosMyth

(edited)

So just very recently I went on a trip to Msia n got into a car accident with a malaysia car. Genting to be exact. Was somewhere after Pagoh towards SG. Traffic was relatively heavy for an evening drive back. I was e one in the wrong here as I slammed into a MY Lexus. First thing was panic. Ever watched those videos on Facebook sites like Beh Chia Lor, Singapore Reckless Driver n get angry when the driver who caused the accident nvr come down immediately to check on the car that he/she rammed into? Well now I really know why.. When it happened I was overwhelmed. Shock, panic, basically overwhelmed by the feelings of doom. Getting into an accident in SG is one thing, to have it happen in MY, its my first.

So just wanted to share my experience on what happened so for those who unfortunately get into one in msia, will not panic like i did.

- Don't follow too closely to the car infront. Always look far. I know its smthing we all get complacent with at times. NSHW traffic as we all know it can be unpredictable. Fast, slow, fast, slow. Don't try to tailgate, always maintain a safe following distance. I wasnt following too closely or anything but I think I just didnt react fast enough to the sudden chain of ebrake.

- Make sure ur phone have auto-roaming. u need to be able to call out during an emergency, data to whatsapp (some tow trucks may ask u to send photos of the exact location).

- Make sure u have all the emergency numbers in ur phone. Well I didnt have. The PLUS hotline is 1800 88 0000. It is the equivalent of our EMAS. Their PLUS will only tow ur vehicle to the nearest exit. For my case they didnt and i have no idea why. They only assisted to stop traffic and tow my car and the Lexus to the road shoulder.

- Standby a reliable tow truck number. Even with a tow truck number, u need to decide if u want to repair ur car in a workshop in jb or tow it back to sg. If insurance claim I think it's definitely going to be tow back to sg. For my case tow was my only option because the front of my car was badly damaged, tyre also ruptured becuz of the impact. Settled for insurance claim.

And it is also best to prepare a few tow truck numbers to call. Some of them may not be available when u need them. Some of them may be located all the way in JB and will take more than an hour plus to come. No good to be stranded on the NSHW. Traffic is heavy, very dangerous. I paid RM100 for a random tow truck that stopped to tow my car to the nearest exit. I think he is those opportunist kind who will target accident cars and try to offer to tow ur car for a large sum of money. They know u are desperate so even if they offer u a high amount, u have no choice. But yah I only asked them to tow to the nearest exit so I can find other solution. 

Base on what I encountered, the "market rate" to tow ur car back to SG is about RM1200 to RM1400 from but also depends on ur location. This will be all the way back to ur workshop in SG. If there are cheaper towing options, please do share here for the rest of us. Never know when we may need it.

I also wished I was a member of AAS. Might be able to activate AAM towing services. But u need to be a member and I wasn't one.

- What to do upon an accident. Same thing like SG... If all parties are okay, decide on settlement. Take photos, call tow truck. Exchange particulars with the other party. Take photos of IC, driving license. If you are claiming another party, try to take photo of his identity card with his house add. We also made a police report. I dunno if that's the usual practice but the police accompanied us to the nearest exit to take our statements. n becuz I was at fault here, it means they will slap me with a traffic fine for careless driving. The fine is RM300. This fine is also necessary in order for the malaysian driver to claim me for insurance. N i think the statement is also needed in order to tow ur car back to sg.

- After all done, wait for your tow truck to get back to sg. The truck lane open only after 12am so I had to wait till then as it happened late evening and by the time everything settled, alrdy damn late..

- So in total, my car was towed by 3 different msia tow trucks. 1st was to the nearest exit, second towed my car nearer to jb and then change another tow truck to tow into sg.  :mellow:

right now the fate of my car lies in the hands of my workshop. just the luck of the msian car to get into an accident with an sg car plate. his claim against me will def take awhile. 

as for me, it is a lesson well learnt. i can blame the car way infront who caused the jam brake but to have banged into the back of a car, that is on me and my fault. no one else to blame but myself. so many trips to msia n this is the first time i gotten into this mess and i was also unprepared. to the rest who regularly travel up north, do drive safely and make sure u have sufficient cash for emergencies and the right contacts on hand in case of an emergency. even better if u have contacts to a reliable workshop in jb should ur damages not be that severe and u wanna try to get the repair done in msia.

be composed and dont panic. i am also fortunate that the driver of the lexus is understanding even in that situation. knowing i am helpless he tried his best to talk to the tow truck guy and police for me as i dont speak malay. 

the thing is i can blame myself for what happened etc, but at the end of the day, im just glad to be bk home safely n that i didnt hurt anyone. this is going to be an expensive lesson but i have to say im happy i am even ALIVE to be able to type this. okay thats all!

Edited by BabyBlade
Removed AAS Free Towing
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 45

(edited)

so total how much you pay for towing to Singapore.

RM100 from highway to the nearest exit. RM1100 for the tow back to SG.. Total is RM1200. Pretty sure it can be cheaper but I was quite desperate alrdy. Made quite a few phone calls it’s either they don’t pick up calls, don’t speak English, their location is in JB, or its way more expensive..

Edited by ChaosMyth

RM100 from highway to the nearest exit. RM1100 for the tow back to SG.. Total is RM1200. Pretty sure it can be cheaper but I was quite desperate alrdy. Made quite a few phone calls itâs either they donât pick up calls, donât speak English, their location is in JB, or its way more expensive..

Can you pm me the tow truck no for Malaysia,last time when my car broke down in Malacca the amount was about rm1500 to sin Ming as.

(edited)

Can you pm me the tow truck no for Malaysia,last time when my car broke down in Malacca the amount was about rm1500 to sin Ming as.

I think it should be okay for me to post here since there is no commercial purpose involved. Never know if anybody in need of it during an emergency and tried googling like me may need it. I tried a few numbers. The tow truck who came to my aid I dont have the number with me now but I will post it here once I find it.

Though while waiting for my tow truck to come, another malaysian tow truck came. Was a bit surprised because when I spoke on the phone with him he say he will call me back to confirm the amount. But in the end one of his guys came.. Didnt use their service though becuz alrdy waiting for another towing. But the guy is a Chinese and friendly. Helped my tow truck guy with loading of my car too.

ah teck - 019-7783757, 016-7723757. quote recommended from ah Meng. If i remember correctly this is about RM1200. Got this contact from Google and they say to mention recommended by ah Meng.

first time accident is like that .

car how badly damage also nvm.

as long as ppl no inj

Exactly.. At the end of the day i just tell myself it could have been much worst. At least I still can tell myself next time drive safely. There are many others who are not so lucky.. also can be considered a warning to my own friends that they should be prepared also.

Edited by ChaosMyth

Supersonic

There is always a first time, good to learn from the incidence and glad that no injury.

You mentioned you wished you were a member of AAS? You mean AAS provide accident support happened in malaysia?

There is always a first time, good to learn from the incidence and glad that no injury.

You mentioned you wished you were a member of AAS? You mean AAS provide accident support happened in malaysia?

I think I need to edit my post. When I was panicking and googling for towing services in Malaysia, I came across AA (Malaysia) number and I called them. But they said I have to be a member, which I believe if u are a member of AA (Singapore), u should be able to use services in AAM. Now that I checked again, it says u are able to enjoy reciprocal service in 8 other countries including Msia but only for breakdown and not accident. And also services are chargeable.

I am not exactly sure. Anybody with AAS membership here?

• Praise 1

+60 13 788 8816

this is the number of the towing I used. dunno the name.

TOTM... Good info here.

Too bad I’m the one who is being claimed here. If I’m the one claiming I’ll be able to provide more info about the claim process and success rate against a malaysian car. Just sharing my own experience. Hope I dont provide false info or inaccurate info. To be honest mcf came up many times when I tried to search for numbers on the spot but some of those info are a bit old. I could use some other helpful and useful contacts too.

(edited)

btw, if ur car is insured w ntuc....

There is a reference for ..

"Referral services for Road and Medical assistance in West Malaysia" ... 24-hour hotline at +603 7965 3865...(in e insurance doc) on top of e normal sg hotline.

Not sure other car insurance coy hav or not, but my previous didn't (oni provide sg hotline to call)

There is tis write-up on wat to do when accident w foreign vehicle at sgcarmart...

http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/writeup.php?AID=286&PN=all

Edited by zipping
  • Praise 11

btw, if ur car is insured w ntuc....

There is a reference for ..

"Referral services for Road and Medical assistance in West Malaysia" ... 24-hour hotline at +603 7965 3865...(in e insurance doc) on top of e normal sg hotline.

Not sure other car insurance coy hav or not, but my previous didn't (oni provide sg hotline to call)

Mine is with AXA. Didnt know about this. But good to know for future reference.

post-186600-0-48707900-1532532116_thumb.png

Now im reminded to put a copy of my insurance in the car for emergency situations like this.. Feel sorry for TS for the painful lesson u have to go through.

• Praise 1

Now im reminded to put a copy of my insurance in the car for emergency situations like this.. Feel sorry for TS for the painful lesson u have to go through.

all is good for now. at least back home. workshop assessed my repairs to be around 15k. surveyor yet to assess. not sure what’s coming next.

(edited)

+60 13 788 8816

this is the number of the towing I used. dunno the name.

Thanks and the towing charges you pay out of your own pocket or can claim also.My towing was covered by my insurance due to breakdown from malacca to Singapore. Edited by Kengheng450

Supersonic

I think I need to edit my post. When I was panicking and googling for towing services in Malaysia, I came across AA (Malaysia) number and I called them. But they said I have to be a member, which I believe if u are a member of AA (Singapore), u should be able to use services in AAM. Now that I checked again, it says u are able to enjoy reciprocal service in 8 other countries including Msia but only for breakdown and not accident. And also services are chargeable.

I am not exactly sure. Anybody with AAS membership here?

Maybe can call up AA singapore to check on this. If they also support towing of vehicle in case of accident in outside singapore, then it is good to become member with them.

↡ Advertisement