Long way around Malaysia road trip

Adrianli

Adrianli I thought you did the round Malaysia trip a few years ago.

You always seem to go and eat great looking food.

How do you find places to eat.

Is it just luck, word of mouth, or investigations on the internet.

↡ Advertisement

At last completed 8 days 7 nights road trip around Malaysia. What a drive!!! Total mileage, clocking about 2,000km. Good to explore new places and visit some familiar places. Until the next long road trip, thanks for reading my long posts. [:p]

Great trip! When I was in poly my friends and I thought of doing one long trip like that before graduation. The plan fell apart but seeing your pics remind me of what it could have been.
  • Praise 1

Dunno when was your poly time but now it is getting easier, with the new Lebuhraya Timur extended to Trengganu, at least one part now faster and smoother. General road conditions are also much better. If it goes back 30 years then even NSHW not completed yet. [laugh]

1998. Think got the roads liao la but no Internet or Facebook.

Awesome trip! thanks for the detailed write-up and the interesting anecdotes (unplugged hotel room phone FTW) .

I went on a breakfast drive to Kiang Kee a few months ago. I was also underwhelmed by the taste. It seemed better last time.

Penang - I've been there a few times but never took the ferry before LOL. I usually take one of the bridges, depending on my approach direction (from North or South). I was just there abt 3 weeks ago

pic 1: sisters' CKT at 185, Macalister road. Quiet place, no crowd at 9+am. I went there for breakfast on two days (10min walk fm hotel). I liked it although people now say it's overrated and standard dipped.

pic 2: left side is Green Skin, right side is Red Prawn. I preferred the RP. Honestly, I didn't like this particular GS. Rm38/kg at the roadside durian stores NW of Sunway hotel along Macalister Rd. 

pic 3: small durian shop at Telok Bahang. I enjoying chatting with the old man as I ate RP there. Rm15/kg. Also bought freshly harvested mangosteen at Rm7/bunch of abt 1kg.

post-111352-0-35988300-1533235381_thumb.jpeg

post-111352-0-98747200-1533235390_thumb.jpeg

post-111352-0-16605100-1533235400_thumb.jpeg

• Praise 2

As far as I remember, the toilet got two pricing. 30 sen maybe for buang air besar, or was it 50 sen.

I dont know. I gave the ah nei RM1 for two of us and he returned me 40sen.

Adrianli I thought you did the round Malaysia trip a few years ago.

You always seem to go and eat great looking food.

How do you find places to eat.

Is it just luck, word of mouth, or investigations on the internet.

I never travelled to Kelantan before. The other time was only halfway round, from Kuantan, use Karak Highway to KL.

I googled the places to visit and read blogs of Malaysians so roughly know where to find food. Roadside stalls, just depends on luck. See a fancy and not too rundown, then just stop and enjoy the food.

I have also read the past road trips from fellow MCF members.

Nice trip you had.  [thumbsup]  So your this trip only went to Kuantan side to penang and then back to sg ah?! How come you did not drive straight into penang but took a ferry there instead?

Nice trip you had. [thumbsup] So your this trip only went to Kuantan side to penang and then back to sg ah?! How come you did not drive straight into penang but took a ferry there instead?

No. I went all the way to Kelantan and then to Penang thru Gerik Highway.

Like i mentioned, i need a break from driving and dont want to waste time stopping for pee. So just use the ferry. It is moving while i enjoy my short break.

No. I went all the way to Kelantan and then to Penang thru Gerik Highway.

Like i mentioned, i need a break from driving and dont want to waste time stopping for pee. So just use the ferry. It is moving while i enjoy my short break.

So it means from Kelantan side, the only way to get to penang is to take ferry?

I am thinking driving from sg to penang end of this year with friends, wonder should i drive all the up or stop somewhere along the route for 1 night? I have never try driving to penang from sg before.

So it means from Kelantan side, the only way to get to penang is to take ferry?

I am thinking driving from sg to penang end of this year with friends, wonder should i drive all the up or stop somewhere along the route for 1 night? I have never try driving to penang from sg before.

No. From Kelantan, i use Gerik Highway to Butterworth, Penang. To get to Penang island, can either continue on Highway E1 and then Penang bridge or use ferry. I chose ferry.

Last year, i left SG 6.30am and reached Penang island 1pm. Can be done one shot. But my first time, i stopped over at Ipoh. You can also do that. Ipoh got many good eats too.

No. From Kelantan, i use Gerik Highway to Butterworth, Penang. To get to Penang island, can either continue on Highway E1 and then Penang bridge or use ferry. I chose ferry.

Last year, i left SG 6.30am and reached Penang island 1pm. Can be done one shot. But my first time, i stopped over at Ipoh. You can also do that. Ipoh got many good eats too.

I thinking to drive one shot, since there will be 2 drivers. Maybe come back then stop over at KL. You season NSH driver also take 6.5 hrs to reach penang!? Dont know how many hours i need to take to reach penang? Lol.

I thinking to drive one shot, since there will be 2 drivers. Maybe come back then stop over at KL. You season NSH driver also take 6.5 hrs to reach penang!? Dont know how many hours i need to take to reach penang? Lol.

6.5 hours mean include speeding liao  [rolleyes]

I was travelling at 160 to 170km/h and two rest stop, Pagoh and Sungei Perak.

Penang is about 600+ km away. So you need to do the maths.

After Ipoh, still can do 160 at the winding downhill stretch?

No need 2 drivers.

Cruise control at 130 - 140km/h is a relaxing drive.

From 2nd link to Sungai Besi toll can be done under 3 hrs non-stop.

After Ipoh, still can do 160 at the winding downhill stretch?

There, 130 to 140km/h. I dont dare go that fast there. But there are MY cars going faster than me there. I would just give way.

You drive at 160 to 170km/h still need to take 6.5 hours?  :huh:  I only drive around 120 to 130kmlh on NSH de. [:p]

No need 2 drivers.

Cruise control at 130 - 140km/h is a relaxing drive.

From 2nd link to Sungai Besi toll can be done under 3 hrs non-stop.

3 hours from 2nd link to KL in 3 hours?  [sweatdrop]  First time drive so far, thats why need 2 drivers, just in case. Furtherest i drive is Genting only from sg.

↡ Advertisement