Long way around Malaysia road trip

Adrianli

You drive at 160 to 170km/h still need to take 6.5 hours? :huh: I only drive around 120 to 130kmlh on NSH de. [:p]

3 hours from 2nd link to KL in 3 hours? [sweatdrop] First time drive so far, thats why need 2 drivers, just in case. Furtherest i drive is Genting only from sg.

Because i got two rest stop. I am on holiday, just drive at a comfortable pace. If really wana chiong, then do non-stop. 5 hours will reach.

↡ Advertisement

Good sharing.

The seafood on the east coast are really cheap, looking at the receipts, it seems pricing has not moved much since 5-10 years ago.

Looks like you are not much of a beach person.

Your stops .. Segamat/Muar (Johor durians), Betong/Raub (Pahang durians), Penang, ... if you want to try local tree-ripened Thai durians, go to Betong just immediately across the border with Perak.

I went to Betong once. Probably won't go there again unless wanna do Hatyai via Betong.

Lots of durians there but the quality is hit and miss. We had durians which seemed similar to Msia kampung durian, not the branded Thai cultivars. Pretty cheap though so can try/tikam for fun. Gotta drive out of town for the fresher durians. The piles of durians in town didn't seem fresh.

At the Betong crossing, we saw a lot of thai pickups carrying durian into Msia for sale...

bro very well written.... bring back my memory which i did with a group of friends back in 2007. We also go via Eastern Msia, Penang and KL.... 

Like your drone videos  [thumbsup]

post-20331-0-99108500-1533276991_thumb.jpg

post-20331-0-76608800-1533277027_thumb.jpg

post-20331-0-92840800-1533277162_thumb.jpg

• Praise 8

bro very well written.... bring back my memory which i did with a group of friends back in 2007. We also go via Eastern Msia, Penang and KL....

Like your drone videos [thumbsup]

You guys stayed at the various resort at the lake along Gerik Highway? Saw a few of them as i zoom past on the two bridges across the lake.

• Praise 1

Last photo vista point at Tasik Banding? [thumbsup]

yes bro.... u have sharp eyes.... haha.

Those are the days, maybe one day will go again for long drive trip.  Now usually just travel Malaca or KL via NSHW, Penang also seldom go liao.

You guys stayed at the various resort at the lake along Gerik Highway? Saw a few of them as i zoom past on the two bridges across the lake.

bro my pic was back in 2007..... at that time we only by pass that lake and do stop to have drink and take photos only.

Those are the days, maybe one day will go again for long drive trip.  Now usually just travel Malaca or KL via NSHW, Penang also seldom go liao.

Fly to penang is fast and if drive there very far, thats why many people would not want to drive there but take plane instead. For KL and malaca, distance is not far to drive, take plane troublesome, and many people would still ok to drive la.

When i tell people i want to drive to penang, all say crazy, take plane faster and easier.  [laugh]

• Praise 1

How much weight did you and your wife put on during your trip.

I eat a lot my wife not so much but looking at the size of your meals I don't think we could have finished any of them. [laugh]

• Praise 1

Those are the days, maybe one day will go again for long drive trip. Now usually just travel Malaca or KL via NSHW, Penang also seldom go liao.

bro my pic was back in 2007..... at that time we only by pass that lake and do stop to have drink and take photos only.

Me too... Used to drive as far as Penang, Tasik Kenyir, Kelantan and island hop to Perhentian, Redang, Kepas and Gem, these days, the furthest I go is KL. Even Cameron has lost its allure for me.

I still have fond memories of those traveling days but if you asked me if i will drive those crazy distance again, think not. Maybe old liow. Even my kids are not keen these days.

Fly to penang is fast and if drive there very far, thats why many people would not want to drive there but take plane instead. For KL and malaca, distance is not far to drive, take plane troublesome, and many people would still ok to drive la.

When i tell people i want to drive to penang, all say crazy, take plane faster and easier. [laugh]

It does not make sense to drive to Penang and back, it used to be a week long trip for me, with stopovers (1-2 nights each) in KL, Cameron or Ipoh. The journey is part of the destination.
  • Praise 3

How much weight did you and your wife put on during your trip.

I eat a lot my wife not so much but looking at the size of your meals I don't think we could have finished any of them. [laugh]

Not much for me, 1 to 2kg.

When i tell people i want to drive to penang, all say crazy, take plane faster and easier.  [laugh]

true, driving to penang is a bit crazy bcos of the long distance but that is the fun part of the driving.  Go fast, over take cars, look out for speed trap or cameras..... haha so much fun, esp travel at high speed 

Me too... Used to drive as far as Penang, Tasik Kenyir, Kelantan and island hop to Perhentian, Redang, Kepas and Gem, these days, the furthest I go is KL. Even Cameron has lost its allure for me.

I still have fond memories of those traveling days but if you asked me if i will drive those crazy distance again, think not. Maybe old liow. Even my kids are not keen these days.

It does not make sense to drive to Penang and back, it used to be a week long trip for me, with stopovers (1-2 nights each) in KL, Cameron or Ipoh. The journey is part of the destination.

haha i still remember my wife and me drove to KL on Fri night after work, next morning drive up to Penang and stay over at Hard Rock.  Than Sun drive all the way back to Singapore..... that time only driving Audi A1 and its a 1.4L

Overall tired since I am the one driving (dont feel safe to let wife drive in Msia road) but so much fun and bonding time with my wife....

• Praise 1

I am already back in SG. Anyway, I am not into batik, so is my wife.

Great thanks on bro on his trip.

Hope you allow convoy in your next trip round malaysia again.

I do like the drive but just no confidence for such a long ride as in my fifty already.

Great thanks on bro on his trip.

Hope you allow convoy in your next trip round malaysia again.

I do like the drive but just no confidence for such a long ride as in my fifty already.

Dont think i will doing this again in the near future. My next long road trip will be beyond Malaysia. Drive to Bangkok.

24th Jul 2018

Woke up and had breakfast in the resort. There was a huge variety of food to choose from and a very large sitting area too. We chose to sit at the open air area. The staffs here were really friendly and ready to serve you. Every one of the staff will greet you and some will ask how was your stay. Feels really like a 5 star resort. There was so much food to try that my little tummy surrendered as I am not a morning person for food.

attachicon.gifPenang 016.jpg

attachicon.gifPenang 017.jpg

attachicon.gifPenang 018.jpg

attachicon.gifPenang 019.jpg

attachicon.gifPenang 020.jpg

attachicon.gifPenang 021.jpg

attachicon.gifPenang 022.jpg

attachicon.gifPenang 023.jpg

After breakfast, we decided to walk around the resort and the beach. I decided to fly my drone and take an aerial view of the resort before those parasailing boats operate as I would pose a safety concern to them. Check out videos of my aerial shots.

attachicon.gifPenang 081.jpg

attachicon.gifPenang 082.jpg

attachicon.gifPenang 083.jpg

attachicon.gifPenang 084.jpg

https://youtu.be/2XCblfmdxtI

https://youtu.be/cAws85mNs9w

This hotel belong to Shangrila group.

Definitely high standard.

For your future visit to Penang, if you are staying in George town.

I strongly recommend Eastern Oriental for your stay. Get the studio room. Room are huge and sea facing. Breakfast is also very good.

Studio come with afternoon cocktail at 5pm with very nice snack and free flow of beer, wine etc...

• Praise 3

This thread should be the best thread of the month.

So detail trip report with same detail photo.

Mod and Admin.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2