DIY: 3M Scotchcal Black Reflective Strips

Vratenza

Ordered this 3M Scotchcal Black(yes.. Black) Reflective Strip from Amazon 2 years ago... Forgot all about it till now. Dusted it off from my storeroom and decided to use it for a little DIY project on my car. 

post-24957-0-19351700-1533524773_thumb.jpg

post-24957-0-59353300-1533524799_thumb.jpg

I have blacked out most of my car's chrome trimmings. Only eye sore left is the aluminum running board that cannot be easily blacked out. 

post-24957-0-18872600-1533524738_thumb.jpg

Will post the simple DIY tips and end result in the next post. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

This 3M Scotchcal tape comes in various width but mine is 1/4inch version.

The self adhesive tape comes in 3 layers, the adhesive backing, the tape itself and a clear protective layer.

Before embarking on the DIY, you will need to prepare a pair of scissors and a sharp Penknife, alcohol wipes/surface degrease and a pair of steady hands. 

First, unroll the tape and measure out the length required and give about an inch allowance and cut it with the scissors. 

Then, prepare the surface with alcohol wipes/degreaser to make sure the tape's adhesive holds well. 

Next, remove partially from one end the adhesive backing layer, position it at the starting point of the strip you intend to tape and press down to secure it down. For long strip like mine, work with 2 hands. One holding the unpeeled section and part of the adhesive backed that was folded back  The other hand press down and smooth out the section with exposed adhesive. Work in 8-10cm sections to make it manageable. Never touch the adhesive surface with your fingers. 

The tape is forgiving. Has slight stretch and can go round gentle curves without buckling. Also can be repositioned once or twice if you have yet to press down hard to secure it. 

Once you are done. Remember to use the Penknife to help tease up the clear protective layer to so that you achieve the maximum reflectivity. 

For my case, the ideal width should be 1/2 inch but i make do with double stripping it. 

When under normal light:

post-24957-0-46562700-1533527998_thumb.jpg

When flash is applied or when vehicle light strikes the surface:

post-24957-0-92231100-1533528013_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Ordered this 3M Scotchcal Black(yes.. Black) Reflective Strip from Amazon 2 years ago... Forgot all about it till now. Dusted it off from my storeroom and decided to use it for a little DIY project on my car. 

I have blacked out most of my car's chrome trimmings. Only eye sore left is the aluminum running board that cannot be easily blacked out. 

Will post the simple DIY tips and end result in the next post. 

I bought blue colored reflective tape for my blue car ... almost similar color ... but still have not go about to pasting it yet also ...

Actually bought this with my previous black car in mind. 

What I like about it is the stealthiness of black strip that not many would have noticed or expect it to be so reflective. 

Works in my favour I am trying to black out the bright aluminium strip of the running board

I bought blue colored reflective tape for my blue car ... almost similar color ... but still have not go about to pasting it yet also ...

Twincharged

Actually bought this with my previous black car in mind. 

What I like about it is the stealthiness of black strip that not many would have noticed or expect it to be so reflective. 

Works in my favour I am trying to black out the bright aluminium strip of the running board

actually I prefer bright colored cars ... more visibility on the roads at night.

but my family wanted something from the choices I had when I booked my car ... grey, black, silver ... and midnight blue.

so trying to pasted some reflective stickers here and there to make sure its "brighter".

↡ Advertisement