Conti Cost Of Ownership

KiaCeratoHB

Hi Guys,

I've only owned Asian cars so far and recently feel like getting a conti car. May I know how much more does it cost to maintain a conti car say around the level of Golf GTI, C250 & X3?

I'm ok with the purchase price but my friends are warning me that the real costs comes if after buying. Maintenance, parts replacements, repairs and the downtime at workshops; the frequency as well as waiting time for parts.

So far I've owned a Corolla, Cefiro, Waja, Cerato, Stream and Wish. Cars never spent more than 1 night at workshops.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Conti car is too loosely used.

German

French

Former Russia

If worry about all those shit, just forget about it.

I have owned Mini Cooper S for 4.5 yrs.  Bought used.  It had spend 1 night in AD ws.

in terms of reliability, japan cars such as Toyota, honda, nissan, Mitsubishi, subaru, etc definitely better than conti such as volvo, jaguar,

merc, bmw, audi, Volkswagen, citroen, Peugeot, etc

(btw i dont know now volvo is considered china brand or conti brand, likewise for jsguar)

and the maintenance costs is lower as well for jap cars

if u worry about reliability and maintenance costs, stick to jap cars

actually, I don't quite know what to be worried about now... looking at Golf GTI, C250 & X3. Warranty aside, what's the ball park range to spend at workshops?

Now I spend 1kish on average a year for my cars. Regular servicing 500-600. Balance on wear n tear parts.. major repairs or replacements so far are only aircon compressor, engine mounting, alternator and fuel pump/lines. n those are not really major..Oh I got leaking issues on the Waja but couldn't resolve then sold away.

actually, I don't quite know what to be worried about now... looking at Golf GTI, C250 & X3. Warranty aside, what's the ball park range to spend at workshops?

Now I spend 1kish on average a year for my cars. Regular servicing 500-600. Balance on wear n tear parts.. major repairs or replacements so far are only aircon compressor, engine mounting, alternator and fuel pump/lines. n those are not really major..Oh I got leaking issues on the Waja but couldn't resolve then sold away.

I think servicing wise, not much diff on a conti... U should review on those conti brands and their usual issues, to make an informed decision.

• Praise 1

in terms of reliability, japan cars such as Toyota, honda, nissan, Mitsubishi, subaru, etc definitely better than conti such as volvo, jaguar,

merc, bmw, audi, Volkswagen, citroen, Peugeot, etc

(btw i dont know now volvo is considered china brand or conti brand, likewise for jsguar)

and the maintenance costs is lower as well for jap cars

if u worry about reliability and maintenance costs, stick to jap cars

actually i wont say conti car less reliability then jap car.

both type of them break down all the same.

its only the repair cost for the same type of damage , can be 10 times different.

for example a camry valve cover gasket leaking, just replace the rubber seal, plug seal etc enough.

normally would cost about 100+-.

but if u compare to a conti like passat??

same area leakage, need to replace the whole valve cover.

or say a water pump leakage, normal jap car, just take out the belt and water pump can be access.

but a conti, u need take out another 10 extra parts.

another good example, say a very normal HID for a jap or korea car, easily replace.

u try changing 1 for a VW golf (2017 model ) mostly u will get another 100% cost on the labour alone.

jap car have their fair share of problem also , even new car, try checking the latest vellfire , they got alot of gearbox issue.

• Praise 3

if you plan to get a new conti, look for those with 5 yrs warranty and 5 yrs servicing package (mini, bmw), their f series is so far so good,

no major engine issue.

if you plan to get a used conti, my suggestion is better to get from AD preowned with warranty and proper car inspection.

regular oil change (engine oil and ATF) is a must.

I would stay away for those vw group of cars due to potential gearbox issue.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Hi Guys,

I've only owned Asian cars so far and recently feel like getting a conti car. May I know how much more does it cost to maintain a conti car say around the level of Golf GTI, C250 & X3?

I'm ok with the purchase price but my friends are warning me that the real costs comes if after buying. Maintenance, parts replacements, repairs and the downtime at workshops; the frequency as well as waiting time for parts.

So far I've owned a Corolla, Cefiro, Waja, Cerato, Stream and Wish. Cars never spent more than 1 night at workshops.

Your frens all ex-alfa owners izit?......lol
  • Praise 5

if you plan to get a new conti, look for those with 5 yrs warranty and 5 yrs servicing package (mini, bmw), their f series is so far so good,

no major engine issue.

if you plan to get a used conti, my suggestion is better to get from AD preowned with warranty and proper car inspection.

regular oil change (engine oil and ATF) is a must.

I would stay away for those vw group of cars due to potential gearbox issue.

actually opposite for me.

if really buy another used conti, outside of BENZ  ,BMW ,AUDI.

i would take VW anytime over renault , citron, peugeot, seat ,afa

A Toyota altis will set you back approximately 2k monthly at today's prices including loan payments, road tax, insurance, petrol, parking, maintenance at AD. A conservative estimate will be 1.5x to 2x of that 2k monthly.

My china car annual maintenance fee at AD was 500+ excluding the major service periods.

A Toyota altis will set you back approximately 2k monthly at today's prices including loan payments, road tax, insurance, petrol, parking, maintenance at AD. A conservative estimate will be 1.5x to 2x of that 2k monthly.

My china car annual maintenance fee at AD was 500+ excluding the major service periods.

what model was your china car?

Amongst the 3, Merc would be the best bet in terms of reliability and cost of parts. Some Merc parts are cheaper than Honda parts.

Hi Guys,

If you service the car regularly and don't abuse it there's no reason why costs should be much higher.

My bimmer hasn't seen the workshop in 3.5 years other than for oil changes.

↡ Advertisement