Coated, still getting water marks and scratches

Guysmokey

the car is only reg under your name, you rented it for next 10 years. after a few decades of going thru the same process, buy car, sell car and scrap car, you will still end up sitting inside a bus watching someone else (a younger chap) going thru what you used to go thru...and suddenly you started to count how much you had spent and still end up on a bus.

Haha..although i have not reached that stage, but am already at mid point now. How true.

To TS, dont waste any more money on coating. Save the money and respray your car at 5th year, if u plan to drive till COE expires.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

For outdoor parking, the PPS will help to prevent the bird poo from damaging the paint. As for water mark and scratches, PPS can't really protect against it. To prevent water mark, you need to immediately wash off and dry the car after rain before the sun shine on your car and bake the residue onto the PPS layer, another way is to use Wax to compliment the PPS to reduce water mark.

IMHO,  PPS with detailing will attract bird poo.  [laugh]

Rain is actually ok, unless there are a lot of pollutants.  The heavier the rain, the better. 

Yes, wax is good. 

imo, PPS is overrated.

We all like to believe putting a coat of whatever over the paint keeps the car in pristine condition, all the time.

So the more you pay, the "better" it will be.

The original paintwork has a top layer of clearcoat.

It is designed to be UV protective and provides a shine.

Now, we are convinced putting additional PPS over the whole thing is good.As long as you have deep pockets, it's fine.

The original clear coat is not very long lasting. 

There is more to PPS.  [cool]

the car is only reg under your name, you rented it for next 10 years. after a few decades of going thru the same process, buy car, sell car and scrap car, you will still end up sitting inside a bus watching someone else (a younger chap) going thru what you used to go thru...and suddenly you started to count how much you had spent and still end up on a bus. 

Depends on whether was it worth it. 

Not all products are the same.

Some are better than others

:D

I watched through the video. The coating is very easy to apply, just spray and buff, but effective only for 6 months leh. Very lecheh to do it every 6 months. And no link on the products was posted in youtube page. 

And the demo to show resistance to scratches by striking the car body was shown very quickly. But can already see some depression on the scratch marks, but it seems it was glossed over rather quickly. 

For DIY I still stand by Naisol ZR53 that it can last much longer than 6 months, though not so easy to apply.

https://www.nasiol.com/nasiol-zr53-nano-ceramic-coating/

• Praise 1

(edited)

Hmmm.. shouldn't fail so fast given regular wash with shampoo. Speak to your applicator and see what he says.

My personal experience parking out door is if you parked under the tree and it rains, wash immediately without delay. The dirt and contaminants are really acidic and etch pretty fast. What I do is spray on water spots removal, the diy version will be mixing distilled vinegar with water, spray on surface and let it sits for 3 to 5 mins and wash with shampoo. Vinegar agitate the mineral but please note this does not remove those etched watermarks

I do try to that as often as I can now. But work is always the challenge. I no choice but to accept already.

I did go back for recoat. They told me the same thing - water marks are inevitable when I am parked outdoors. He offered to redo my bonnet, which I'm very thankful. But I also know he cannot keep redoing it for me. In the long term, he suggested coming back for maintenance, which is to recoat at a discount.

Thanks for ur advice, I'll keep a premixed solution of vinegar and water in my car. ;)

Edited by Guysmokey
  • Praise 2

Hmmm.. shouldn't fail so fast given regular wash with shampoo. Speak to your applicator and see what he says.

My personal experience parking out door is if you parked under the tree and it rains, wash immediately without delay. The dirt and contaminants are really acidic and etch pretty fast. What I do is spray on water spots removal, the diy version will be mixing distilled vinegar with water, spray on surface and let it sits for 3 to 5 mins and wash with shampoo. Vinegar agitate the mineral but please note this does not remove those etched watermarks

That's why it is good to park in the open.  Most get bird poo. 

Ok. The reason i doubt your honesty is because after 3 pages, we still do not know which shop you do your pps with. You are obviously avoiding the question. Why? You keep on saying the pps no good. But did you go back to them to let them have a chance to rectify?

Healthy discussion? Of course everyone wants that. But when a person keeps on avoiding the question, enough said about that person truthfulness

I don't say which shop means I'm not honest? Ohhhh...noted

My personal opinion is coating does help especially when washing the car, before I sold my mini I had a period where I had both mini and bm and was washing em both. The Bm had the coating but the mini usually goes for regular waxing and I can definitely feel the difference in the friction between both cars when washing/wiping etc (to be fair mini was 4 yrs old and bm was new)

But to maintain the coating one has to be meticulous in washing, definitely not scratch proof so your washing process needs to be very dust proof (clean sponge, clean towels etc). Also coating product differs shop to shop so cant say what product your shop was using. I got lazy on the 2nd year can result show lol

All in all I say coating is 50% effective within first year (assuming proper regular maintenance) and 50% marketing, if you can find a good shop in msia using same product probably get it done for 200 SGD

Hi all,

last year my new car was coated (i paid over $1k for it) by one of the more reputable coating companies. Car was only 2 days old when it was coated.

6 months later, there were scratches on the boot surface, and water marks on boot, roof and bonnet. The applied hydrophobic effects on the windscreen is also gone. I sent the car back to touch up.

Another 8 months later, I had to respray certain panels because I cannot take the scratches. Yup, some ppl scratched my car. But besides that, I have many lines near the door handle, and lines on the bonnet and boot. I've never put anything on them.

The guy who repainted my car told me the water marks on my car very bad. I told him cos I park outdoor daily, thats why I know. I did coating to prevent, also cannot. I have to send it back to be re-coated.

So after 1 year 2 months of ownership, I don't think I get what I paid for. Maybe coating is not suitable for people who park outdoors. 

Am I the only one who feels that coating was over-rated? Or it has limited capabilities when it comes to handling the harsh weather, especially for people who park outdoors. What could be a better solution? (besides clean the car everyday! haha)

• Praise 1

高人高见。
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

i paid around S$900 for coating. located at North Spring Bizhub. it cant even withstand bird shiiit. it eats into the coating. need to use machine to buff it off.

when i brought this issue to the detailer, all grandmother story and excuses....

I don't say which shop means I'm not honest? Ohhhh...noted

I don't think it is important to know which shop or product and I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Let the users of these products share their experiences. More positive testimonials, more credibility I suppose.

On a side note, if we are so diligent in removing bird droppings, tree sap etc and park in sheltered carpark, I suppose the paint will be in good condition even if not using PPS?

• Praise 2

Let us know the results. 

I will use the following steps:

(A new car so I will skip the polishing)

1. Wash with mild detergent - $1
  2. Claybar $7
  3. Rinse and dry - foc
  4. Alcohol degrease - foc
  5. Apply glass coating x 3 times - $20 for glass solution

So add another $20 for good cloth, the total cost is around $50 each year.  5 years later, if the paint quality degrades I will just repaint it at around $1,500.

I will use the following steps:

(A new car so I will skip the polishing)

1. Wash with mild detergent - $1
  2. Claybar $7
  3. Rinse and dry - foc
  4. Alcohol degrease - foc
  5. Apply glass coating x 3 times - $20 for glass solution

So add another $20 for good cloth, the total cost is around $50 each year.  5 years later, if the paint quality degrades I will just repaint it at around $1,500.

Eh.... every year have to re-coat ?

I take the easy way out,  ask someone to coat, wait 5 years and then decide if re-spray.  [laugh]

I also cannot find time to wash car.  [laugh]

Eh.... every year have to re-coat ?

I take the easy way out, ask someone to coat, wait 5 years and then decide if re-spray. [laugh]

I also cannot find time to wash car. [laugh]

I usually take car grooming as a form of exercise.

My car is cleaner, I exercise my arms and save money at the same time.

its about 曾经拥有.

but who knows, you could be driving in ur later stages.. :)

Haha,hope so!

Maybe should buy a cheap car now and save more money so when retire without income still can own a car?

One of my relative retire without work but still can own a new car?But of cos is not expensive car just a BB jap car.

Hope to learn from him.lol.....