McLaren entry level sports car, 570S and its related series

DACH

For track biased car, it is difficult for a lot of drivers to use it daily. Especially those not physically fit.

Ya. Even those souped up evos and stis are really uncomfortable to sit. Super loud, racing coilovers, super hard clutch and those bucket seats will block your blind spot. Climb in/out of the bucket seat also pita.

Many McLaren models are surprisingly suitable for larger (i.e. fat) folk. I use mine as a daily driver, and apart from getting in and out, it's one of the most comfortable cars I've ever owned. Definitely the most comfy supercar by a wide margin.

Cars like the 600LT are very track focussed so they cut down on the creature comforts.

For someone like me, cars like the 12C (my current ride), 720s etc. are more practical.

Kind of defeats the purpose. :D

lol didn't know your amg gt long gone liao 

lol didn't know your amg gt long gone liao

Well, I sold it only after my hiatus from MCF started. Had the Mac for close to 6 months now.

M140i and my manual Alfa mito still sama sama... although I'm itching to upgrade the latter to a more sporty manual. :D

• Praise 1

McLaren 720S Spider revealed 

https://www.evo.co.uk/supercars/22040/mclaren-720s-spider-revealed-convertible-supercar-to-rival-ferrari-488-spider

mclaren-720s-spider_dec-2018_image-002.j

The McLaren 720S has been shocking crowds with its dramatic styling and endless wins on drag strips for a couple of years now, so it’s not surprising to see a Spider version arriving just in time for Christmas.

Like the 650S Spider that came before, the 720S features a folding hard-top arrangement that slips beneath a folding tonneau situated on top of the familiar 4-litre twin-turbocharged V8 engine. Either side of the tonneau are two buttresses, now split into two pieces. One is constructed of carbonfibre and houses the Spider’s rollover protection while the other is glass, maintaining the coupe-like silhouette. This use of glass was apparently designed for two reasons: first to improve over the shoulder visibility, but also keep the new Spider close to the standard Coupe’s glassy cockpit-like aesthetic.

The roof itself comes as standard in carbonfibre, but this can also be specified in electrochromic glass, allowing the driver to switch between a clear and opaque finish at the touch of a button. In order to facilitate the new roof and its powered mechanism, McLaren had to redevelop the Coupe’s Monocell II carbon tub, removing the central spine and redesigning the rear shelf. Despite the removal of the tub’s central spine, no extra bracing was required so the total weight is only up 49kg to 1332kg ‘dry’, without any effect on torsional rigidity.

mclaren-720s-spider_dec-2018_image-001.j

As a result, performance is mostly un-affected versus the coupe, with 62mph taking just 2.9sec, 124mph in 7.9sec and a top speed of 212mph with the roof up, and 202mph with it down.The powertrain is also unchanged, comprised of the familiar 4-litre twin-turbo V8 engine producing 710bhp, with 568lb ft of torque.

To address the 720S Spider’s new aero balance, the active rear wing is now deployed on a different set of parameters, actuating at different points whether the roof is up or down. The rest of the dynamic package is borrowed from the Coupe, with the same Proactive Chassis Chassis Control II cross-linked hydraulic suspension and hydraulic steering systems.

Along with the new body are two new colours in the standard 720S pallette and a new ten-spoke wheel design. If these finishes don’t work for you, McLaren Special Operations is always on hand to make your McLaren convertible that little bit more personal, if your pocket book allows.

mclaren-720s-spider_dec-2018_image-003.j

mclaren-720s-spider_dec-2018_image-004.j

mclaren-720s-spider_dec-2018_image-005.j

mclaren-720s-spider_dec-2018_studio-imag

How does it compare to the MP4 12C? (Here is one I saw in Florida.)

That's like a clone of mine. :D

Edit: not sure if the shade of silver is the same, lighting is important. Mine is Titanium Silver but I can't remember the codes of the other silver shades.

post-52704-0-36248500-1546701097_thumb.jpg

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

McLaren 720S Spider revealed

https://www.evo.co.uk/supercars/22040/mclaren-720s-spider-revealed-convertible-supercar-to-rival-ferrari-488-spider

mclaren-720s-spider_dec-2018_image-002.j

The McLaren 720S has been shocking crowds with its dramatic styling and endless wins on drag strips for a couple of years now, so itâs not surprising to see a Spider version arriving just in time for Christmas.

Like the 650S Spider that came before, the 720S features a folding hard-top arrangement that slips beneath a folding tonneau situated on top of the familiar 4-litre twin-turbocharged V8 engine. Either side of the tonneau are two buttresses, now split into two pieces. One is constructed of carbonfibre and houses the Spiderâs rollover protection while the other is glass, maintaining the coupe-like silhouette. This use of glass was apparently designed for two reasons: first to improve over the shoulder visibility, but also keep the new Spider close to the standard Coupeâs glassy cockpit-like aesthetic.

The roof itself comes as standard in carbonfibre, but this can also be specified in electrochromic glass, allowing the driver to switch between a clear and opaque finish at the touch of a button. In order to facilitate the new roof and its powered mechanism, McLaren had to redevelop the Coupeâs Monocell II carbon tub, removing the central spine and redesigning the rear shelf. Despite the removal of the tubâs central spine, no extra bracing was required so the total weight is only up 49kg to 1332kg âdryâ, without any effect on torsional rigidity.

mclaren-720s-spider_dec-2018_image-001.j

As a result, performance is mostly un-affected versus the coupe, with 62mph taking just 2.9sec, 124mph in 7.9sec and a top speed of 212mph with the roof up, and 202mph with it down.The powertrain is also unchanged, comprised of the familiar 4-litre twin-turbo V8 engine producing 710bhp, with 568lb ft of torque.

To address the 720S Spiderâs new aero balance, the active rear wing is now deployed on a different set of parameters, actuating at different points whether the roof is up or down. The rest of the dynamic package is borrowed from the Coupe, with the same Proactive Chassis Chassis Control II cross-linked hydraulic suspension and hydraulic steering systems.

Along with the new body are two new colours in the standard 720S pallette and a new ten-spoke wheel design. If these finishes donât work for you, McLaren Special Operations is always on hand to make your McLaren convertible that little bit more personal, if your pocket book allows.

mclaren-720s-spider_dec-2018_image-003.j

mclaren-720s-spider_dec-2018_image-004.j

mclaren-720s-spider_dec-2018_image-005.j

I have watched many drag races online and I don't recall the 720 ever losing one. The Senna might beat it maybe, keenly awaiting carwow to pit these 2 together.

I have watched many drag races online and I don't recall the 720 ever losing one. The Senna might beat it maybe, keenly awaiting carwow to pit these 2 together.

The huge spoiler on senna may hinder it during a drag race

Top gear had recently tracked the 720S vs P1 and the P1 leads by half a second. You can search YouTube to view the video.

• Praise 1

Top gear had recently tracked the 720S vs P1 and the P1 leads by half a second. You can search YouTube to view the video.

Thanks for the video.

Apologies, I was referring to the 1/4 mile drag race. I have never seen the 720S lose the 1/4 mile drag. It is even quicker than the ludicrously fast P100D.

The McLaren 600LT Spider is a convertible track special

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/supercars/mclaren-600lt-spider-convertible-track-special

mclaren_600_lt_spider_jan_2019_image04.j

The convertible track special. Long the oxymoron of the performance car world, not that the residual values of a Ferrari 458 Speciale Aperta would suggest so. The latest is the McLaren 600LT Spider, the fifth car to earn the Longtail name, and surely the furthest cry yet from the first, a Le Mans racecar that won the GT1 class in 1997.

McLaren’s keen to point out it’s ‘proper’, though. Thanks to the wonders of its carbon MonoCell chassis, the 600LT hasn’t needed any more strengthening to compensate for the lack of a fixed roof, the end result being a modest 50kg premium over the coupe, all of which comes from the three-part folding hard-top and its various mechanisms.

That helps achieve a dry weight of 1,297kg, around 80kg down on a 488 Pista Spider and 100kg below the 570S Spider this 600LT is effectively spun from.

McLaren will make you work for that weight saving, however; you’ll only dip below 1.3 tonnes if you lose the air con and audio systems and specify the so-slender-they-barely-exist carbon fibre seats from the Senna hypercar. Which, alongside a few other carbon bits and titanium wheel nuts (!), are an £18,200 option. So your wallet will also be significantly lighter.

Such fastidious commitment to shaving the kilos will help shave tenths too, mind. McLaren quotes 0-62mph in 2.9secs – the same as a 600LT coupe – with 0-124mph up a mere 0.2sec, at 8.4secs. The top speed is dented by a similarly irrelevant margin, the 600LT Spider maxing out at 201mph roof-up, or 196mph roof-down.

Speaking of speed, the roof can be operated at 25mph and below. If removing the whole thing seems a bit much, then there’s also a retractable window that will let in more noise (should you enjoy the rather industrial noise of McLaren’s 3.8-litre V8 turbo) as well as allow a naughty peek at the top-exit exhausts, retained from the Coupe and proof this really is just a McLaren 600LT with a tricksier roof.

It’s pretty close on price, too, its £201,500 starting point representing a £16,000 rise on the Coupe. Which looks like very good value indeed when it costs more money to add skinnier seats and some fancy wheel nuts…

mclaren_600_lt_spider_jan_2019_image01.j

mclaren_600_lt_spider_jan_2019_image02.j

mclaren_600_lt_spider_jan_2019_image05.j

mclaren_600_lt_spider_jan_2019_image03.j

mclaren_600_lt_spider_jan_2019_image08.j

mclaren_600_lt_spider_jan_2019_image07.j

mclaren_600_lt_spider_jan_2019_image09.j

mclaren_600_lt_spider_jan_2019_image10.j

mclaren_600_lt_spider_jan_2019_image11.j

mclaren_600_lt_spider_jan_2019_image12.j

mclaren_600_lt_spider_jan_2019_image13.j

The McLaren 600LT Spider is a convertible track special

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/supercars/mclaren-600lt-spider-convertible-track-special

mclaren_600_lt_spider_jan_2019_image04.j

The convertible track special. Long the oxymoron of the performance car world, not that the residual values of a Ferrari 458 Speciale Aperta would suggest so. The latest is the McLaren 600LT Spider, the fifth car to earn the Longtail name, and surely the furthest cry yet from the first, a Le Mans racecar that won the GT1 class in 1997.

McLarenâs keen to point out itâs âproperâ, though. Thanks to the wonders of its carbon MonoCell chassis, the 600LT hasnât needed any more strengthening to compensate for the lack of a fixed roof, the end result being a modest 50kg premium over the coupe, all of which comes from the three-part folding hard-top and its various mechanisms.

That helps achieve a dry weight of 1,297kg, around 80kg down on a 488 Pista Spider and 100kg below the 570S Spider this 600LT is effectively spun from.

McLaren will make you work for that weight saving, however; youâll only dip below 1.3 tonnes if you lose the air con and audio systems and specify the so-slender-they-barely-exist carbon fibre seats from the Senna hypercar. Which, alongside a few other carbon bits and titanium wheel nuts (!), are an £18,200 option. So your wallet will also be significantly lighter.

Such fastidious commitment to shaving the kilos will help shave tenths too, mind. McLaren quotes 0-62mph in 2.9secs â the same as a 600LT coupe â with 0-124mph up a mere 0.2sec, at 8.4secs. The top speed is dented by a similarly irrelevant margin, the 600LT Spider maxing out at 201mph roof-up, or 196mph roof-down.

Speaking of speed, the roof can be operated at 25mph and below. If removing the whole thing seems a bit much, then thereâs also a retractable window that will let in more noise (should you enjoy the rather industrial noise of McLarenâs 3.8-litre V8 turbo) as well as allow a naughty peek at the top-exit exhausts, retained from the Coupe and proof this really is just a McLaren 600LT with a tricksier roof.

Itâs pretty close on price, too, its £201,500 starting point representing a £16,000 rise on the Coupe. Which looks like very good value indeed when it costs more money to add skinnier seats and some fancy wheel nutsâ¦

mclaren_600_lt_spider_jan_2019_image01.j

mclaren_600_lt_spider_jan_2019_image02.j

mclaren_600_lt_spider_jan_2019_image05.j

mclaren_600_lt_spider_jan_2019_image03.j

mclaren_600_lt_spider_jan_2019_image08.j

mclaren_600_lt_spider_jan_2019_image07.j

mclaren_600_lt_spider_jan_2019_image09.j

mclaren_600_lt_spider_jan_2019_image10.j

mclaren_600_lt_spider_jan_2019_image11.j

mclaren_600_lt_spider_jan_2019_image12.j

mclaren_600_lt_spider_jan_2019_image13.j

Up close and personal, the flame shooting exhausts are something special (and it will be LTA legal haha!). The track seats are way too cramped for a fatso like me, sadly.

If your usage is anything over 95 percent road and less than 5 percent track, the 720s remains the better choice in my opinion.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

Many McLaren models are surprisingly suitable for larger (i.e. fat) folk. I use mine as a daily driver, and apart from getting in and out, it's one of the most comfortable cars I've ever owned. Definitely the most comfy supercar by a wide margin.

Cars like the 600LT are very track focussed so they cut down on the creature comforts.

For someone like me, cars like the 12C (my current ride), 720s etc. are more practical.

Kind of defeats the purpose. :D

In the supercar world, mclaren is one of the most comfortable if not the most comfortable. The 720S is one heck of a car and its beautiful. How is the 12C in terms of daily driveability? 

In the supercar world, mclaren is one of the most comfortable if not the most comfortable. The 720S is one heck of a car and its beautiful. How is the 12C in terms of daily driveability?

Very nice mate. Can be driven in a very relaxed fashion, or you can take it by the scruff of the neck if you so choose.

I drive mine with full manual shifting with powertrain in track and handling in sport for extra fun on the road. This is after it warms up completely of course. For rainy weather, I turn the handling back to normal. I've had some "fun" moments with the handling set to sport in traction limited conditions - nothing I couldn't catch but it does attract attention on the road and you know what Singaporeans are like nowadays.

I've only used track handling mode at Sepang.

The butterfly doors make the car even more practical in that the space required to open it is almost the same as for a normal bread and butter car (maybe a bit more). In this sense, it's more practical than both the amg gt and the f430 which were very difficult to use in parking situations. However, the only catch with the butterfly door is that you need to be able to open it fully for ingress or egress. So really narrow lots are out, even for thin folk.

The door opening takes a bit of getting used to. You gotta stroke it like a cat since there's no handle. No button either. They changed the design in the later models to make them more user friendly but I love the secret handshake I have to use on mine haha.

All in all, great car.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 2

Very nice mate. Can be driven in a very relaxed fashion, or you can take it by the scruff of the neck if you so choose.

I drive mine with full manual shifting with powertrain in track and handling in sport for extra fun on the road. This is after it warms up completely of course. For rainy weather, I turn the handling back to normal. I've had some "fun" moments with the handling set to sport in traction limited conditions - nothing I couldn't catch but it does attract attention on the road and you know what Singaporeans are like nowadays.

I've only used track handling mode at Sepang.

The butterfly doors make the car even more practical in that the space required to open it is almost the same as for a normal bread and butter car (maybe a bit more). In this sense, it's more practical than both the amg gt and the f430 which were very difficult to use in parking situations. However, the only catch with the butterfly door is that you need to be able to open it fully for ingress or egress. So really narrow lots are out, even for thin folk.

The door opening takes a bit of getting used to. You gotta stroke it like a cat since there's no handle. No button either. They changed the design in the later models to make them more user friendly but I love the secret handshake I have to use on mine haha.

All in all, great car.

I been following some youtube channels and I noticed that in the states, McLarens are getting really popular nowadays and a refreshing change from the regular italian exotics which are the usual supercar of choice in sunny singapore.

The 570S spider looks really good and with the 720S,McLaren looks like a really attractive proposition should one be looking to get into an exotic car. There are of course hearsay in the motoring world from non McLaren owners saying the reliability is bad and spend alot of time in the workshops.

I do know italian exotics have short service intervals and major services are also required early in its life should one drive the car a fair bit more than the typical supercar owner in singapore.

What are your experiences and thoughts in this? I always feel life is too short to worry too much over such things but it would be good to hear it from an owner of a McLaren especially the MP4-12C is the first model after its comeback into the supercar world.

↡ Advertisement