More MSIAN Car on SG Road? Chauffeured Services by MSIAN Veh

uniquely_ad

SINGAPORE — Drivers in Malaysia-registered cars are flouting Singapore's laws by providing point-to-point transport services for tourists here.

Under the law, all cars without a Public Service Vehicle Licence — including Malaysia-registered private cars — cannot be used to provide taxi or chauffeured private-hire car services in Singapore.

Singapore drivers offering chauffeured services told TODAY that the problem has been around a long time, but some of them have noticed that more Malaysia-registered cars are muscling in on the Singapore market in the past few months.

They are typically seen picking up tourists from Changi Airport Terminals 2 and 4, and ferrying them to hotels in the city-centre. They have also been observed shuttling tourists to and from major tourist attractions here, such as Sentosa resort island, Gardens by the Bay and the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple and Museum, the drivers said.

When TODAY contacted Malaysia-based transport companies to enquire about rates for a trip from Changi Airport to a hotel in downtown Singapore, at least five companies — Big World Transport, Ben Travel, 168 Go Heng, Ace Transport and HBC Transport Agency — offered the service.

The cost of a one-way trip for four riders on a seven-seat Malaysia-registered vehicle ranged between S$50 and S$80, they said. One company, 168 Go Heng, said that it would cost S$90 if riders took a Singapore-registered vehicle, which will be S$40 more than a Malaysia-registered one.

By and large, payment is collected after services are rendered, although one firm asked for payment via "banking".

These firms tout their services on social-networking platforms such as Facebook, and mobile applications such as Carousell or their own websites. Many list mobile-phone numbers, so customers may book their services through messaging apps WhatsApp or WeChat, or via SMS (short message service).

They advertise round-the-clock trips to and from Changi Airport and major tourist attractions such as Universal Studios Singapore and Resorts World Sentosa, as well as journeys between Singapore and Malaysia.

When told of the concern that such a service was illegal, a representative of Ben Travel said: "If you are scared, you can book a Singapore car. Never mind."

Responding to the same concern, a representative from HBC Transport Agency showed TODAY proof of the company's Malaysian business registration, adding: "We are a registered company."

When this reporter identified himself and sought official comments, the Ben Travel representative said that his company was registered as a travel firm and has not encountered any problems at Singapore Customs after the necessary company documentation is presented.

"(We do) not go to the Singapore taxi stands (to) take the customer. I just take the customers (through) all the bookings (received by) my travel company… (for) transport," he added.

The HBC Transport Agency representative said that its drivers pick up customers daily and have not faced "any problem". It would be a problem if Malaysian drivers competed with Singapore taxi drivers for riders, he added.

Addressing this issue, a Land Transport Authority (LTA) spokesperson told Chinese daily Lianhe Wanbao last week that all vehicles without a Public Service Vehicle Licence, including Malaysia-registered private cars, are not allowed to provide taxi or chauffeured private-hire car services in Singapore.

Between January 2016 and June 2018, the authority took action against 20 Malaysia-registered vehicles which flouted the rules. TODAY has also reached out to the LTA for comment.

SINGAPORE DRIVERS UP IN ARMS AS BUSINESS SUFFERS

Drivers providing chauffeured services here are vexed with the growing presence of Malaysia-registered cars which they see as a threat to their rice bowl, saying their business has been hit by up to half since as early as a year ago.

Some among them also felt that they were undercut by their counterparts from across the Causeway, with the Malaysian drivers offering services at as much as half the rates they offer.

A driver, who wanted to be known only as Mr Lim, 50, said that these Malaysian drivers are unfamiliar with the roads here, as he has been stopped by them on several occasions, requesting directions to the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple and Museum, for instance.

They also do not hold a vehicle Certificate of Entitlement, nor do they fork out road tax or provide passenger insurance in the event of an accident.

"A major concern is they will spoil the image of Singapore, because should any accident happen, the tourists will not be able to claim the personal insurance (since the services) are not legal," he added.

Mr Lim reported this matter to the LTA last month.

A fellow driver, who identified himself only as Mr Kelvin, 32, said: "We (Singapore drivers) have the Private Hire Car Driver's Vocational Licence and the Taxi Driver's Vocational Licence. We're allowed to do such jobs from all the apps… (and provide) all the details they need — car licence, licence-plate number, insurance — but these Malaysian drivers really (don't have to do anything)," he said.

The Singapore authorities should compel Malaysian drivers wishing to provide chauffeured services in Singapore to register a business here, Mr Kelvin added.

Source: https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/malaysian-transport-firms-providing-illegal-services-here-make-singapore-drivers-see-red

So this is the reason why I’ve been seeing more and more msian car on our road.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 13

2.5yrs LTA onli caught 20 illegal operators ah?....tsk tsk

Go to Causeway or Checkpoint n bet 90% of the JB-plated Alphard, Starex that are experts in cutting Q are paid rides

• Praise 6

Twincharged

2.5yrs LTA onli caught 20 illegal operators ah?....tsk tsk

Go to Causeway or Checkpoint n bet 90% of the JB-plated Alphard, Starex that are experts in cutting Q are paid rides

LTA and their kah kias only know how to Tekan own people. The emissions from jb bikes and trucks also close one eye. Everything act blur. Except to tax own citizens.
  • Praise 10

I know Lego land send vehicles to changi airport and pick up customer once they land, and straight go to Lego land. Just go changi airport between T1 and T2 the open parking there can see the vans waiting there.

• Praise 4

Our millionaire ministars are really sleeping on this matter..

Really Lost touch with the ground...

Must kanna something Jialat then will start action..

WTF r they waiting for?

Really KNNB@&$@!?,!&

Edited by Freeder
  • Praise 6

I know Lego land send vehicles to changi airport and pick up customer once they land, and straight go to Lego land. Just go changi airport between T1 and T2 the open parking there can see the vans waiting there.

this cross border affair still i would say ok to use J plate vehicles. But if like say within singapore (changi to hotels), govt need to clamp down hard.

I thought malaysian vehicle can only enter SG for a certain number of days of the year?

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

Unless LTA does a sting operation, it is difficult to get a successful prosecution. The tourists wont bother to be witnesses. This type of scenario need investigative journalism to create shit.

I fully agree that unfair competition from unregulated players that hurt compliant players needs to be addressed.

Start with adhoc signages at airport?

• Praise 1

LTA and their kah kias only know how to Tekan own people. The emissions from jb bikes and trucks also close one eye. Everything act blur. Except to tax own citizens.

Emissions under NEA

Why LTA can tekan our own citizens with many out of the box rules.... but to overseas motorists humji big time ..

Soft tomato is easier to squeeze
  • Praise 2

If they come and pick you up to go to MY, or pick up in MY and drive into SG, almost all the Malaysians working here I know they use such service to carpool to/from JB. You can see them advertise freely on social media.

But pick up in SG, and drop off in SG, .... buay swee, but it's been happening. Maybe one eye open, one eye closed to keep business costs low when policies failed. Most people will be happy their Lazada or Food Panda or McDelivery orders are delivered cheaply.

You go to big cities like Shanghai where they also got to buy COE, they have a problem with PHV, courier, etc. licensed or unlicensed coming from neighbouring counties and towns taking jobs away from the locals. They have additional rules for non-local vehicles such as forbid to drive on highways during peak hours, etc. and they need a lot of TP to patrol, and you do see their TP everywhere.

It should be easier to manage here than bigger countries like China where they have no international borders between cities.

Here, we don't see much TP on the roads anymore. But it's easy to ensure they pay VEP when leaving SG, that's about it.

I think Shanghai use camera and AI to catch offenders.

Unlike here.

It just shows the difference btw 2 countries.

1 is willing to take risk to earn more.

1 is not willing to take risk to earn more. Instead KPKB ppl do things illegally.

Maybe it is wakeup call that we must think out of the box to earn $$$$.

• Praise 1

Yeah, but their TP very on the ball type, unlike here. Peak hours you will certainly see them at various highways, river crossings, tunnel entrance, etc. They also use a lot of AETOS-like auxiliary police to patrol.

Even in Beijing, I saw a lot of patrol cars at highway exits to catch drink-driving.

I had said a zillion time that TP is sleeping in Ubi
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1