Singapore Hawker Culture - UNESCO Goal

pegasi

Malaysian celebrity chefs go savage on Singapore’s goal to get hawker culture recognised by UNESCO

source: Coconuts Singapore,Coconuts Singapore 24 Aug 2018

https://sg.yahoo.com/style/malaysian-celebrity-chefs-savage-singapore-023919059.html

Malaysian Celebrity Chef Datuk Redzuawan Ismail — better known as Chef Wan — is notable for speaking his mind, no matter how questionable it is. Like the time when he declared Filipino cuisine “the worst food in Asia”.

These days, the man is turning his ire to Singapore’s attempt to get is hawker culture officially recognized in UNESCO’s Intangible Cultural Heritage list.

“People who lack confidence in their food will go all out to do these things for recognition,” Chef Wan told Malaysian publication The Star Online.

“It’s not necessary to announce to the world that you have this or that. By taking this route, it’s a bit of arrogant behavior.”

↡ Advertisement

Attention seeker.

we are definitely not the first country in the world to have hawkers. But we are definitely one of the few places to have hawker centers. And probably only in SG, got so many dedicated hawker centers.

• Praise 3

I think sg and mal hawker fair are fairly intertwined

awarding one without awarding the other seems odd

it is like award mal for celebrating hari raya in Mal because large Malay population but don't award sg

Edited by Ash2017
  • Praise 3

I think sg and mal hawker fair are fairly intertwined

awarding one without awarding the other seems odd

it is like award mal for celebrating hari raya in Mal because large Malay population but don't award sg

You guys went to Pasir Ris Central hawker center recently?

Two stalls already closed for business, at the second level of the hip hawker stalls. 

will that affect UNESCO decision?

Two stalls already closed for business, at the second level of the hip hawker stalls.

somehow i have less confident on newly set up HC.

I preferred the old one with the true blue hawker and not some strange looking fusion food.

yes,i am old fashion.

• Praise 4

Singapore Hawker Culture - UNESCO Goal? [laugh]

Nah!

How about a title in the Guinness world record book for the Most Expensive City to Live for 5 consecutive years! [thumbsup]

:D

Edited by Aaronlkl
  • Praise 4

I won't be surprised. human traffic is a big factor. Being on a 2nd floor is already reduce your human traffic. Especially the 2nd floor food variety is more modern/hipster, higher prices also. 

• Praise 1

will that affect UNESCO decision?

I really don't care if it is UNESCO or not.

Whether it is still affordable and good to eat is more important. 

I won't be surprised. human traffic is a big factor. Being on a 2nd floor is already reduce your human traffic. Especially the 2nd floor food variety is more modern/hipster, higher prices also. 

Actually many people are attracted to the 2nd floor hipster stalls. 

I see more crowds there than the 1st level most of the times I go there.

I even saw one guy who bought the western food on the 2nd floor took a lift down to the first floor to eat with his friends/family yesterday.

But recently they introduced a busking group to sing at the premises where the people are eating. The girls was singing loudly with the speakers blasted. I am not sure whether this is a good idea. My friend was clearly annoyed yesterday because we couldn't hear each other clearly in our conversation.

Wonder if this is going to bring the place down even further.

not yet there, but maybe soon

Morgan Stanley tell us 2030 singapore property price double from 2016 levels

Singapore Hawker Culture - UNESCO Goal?

Nah!

How about a title in the Guinness world record book for the Most Expensive City to Live for 5 consecutive years! [thumbsup]

:D

↡ Advertisement