Hyundai Elantra or Kia Cerato

Joelwong

My current ride will be scrapping in December, am considering between the Elantra S and Cerato EX not ruling out other options looks the Jazz 1.5

The Hyundai is at the tail end of its current facelift with 2019 model already announced. Whereas the Cerato is a brand new facelift.

Was actually quite biased against against Kia before yesterday as I totally hated the old Cerato, forte, and k3. So my test drive for the Cerato was pretty biased also. Until yesterday after I paid a second visit to Hyundai, then decided to pop by C&C just to look at the c4 cactus, the Cerato was parked outside.

The more I look at it, the more the looks grow on me. So went inside the showroom again, have a sit inside the Cerato’s cabin......is like totally win the Elantra many times over.

I don’t reallly mind the exterior of the Elantra S but I find the interior very dated.

The Cerato EX cost more, but the equipment level is close to the Elantra elite.

Weight wise, the Elantra is 100kg heavier

Engine wise, the Cerato is using an older generation engine. (This is my main concern)

I test drive both cars, but am unable to get any head on conclusion as I went to test drive the Elantra at leng kee and the Cerato at ubi.

I don’t know is it psychological, but the Hyundai felt smoother and picks up abit easier.

The additional 50l boot space of the Cerato doesn’t concern me much.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

The Elantra has identical capacity, hp and torque as the Cerato. Being sister companies, suspect its the same engine or a closely related engine, so your engine concerns on the Cerato will probably be there on the Elantra as well.

Frankly the Altis, Civic and Sylphy have similarly old engines. The downside is less power and lower efficiency than newer engines seen in European makes like VW group, Peugeot, Citroen etc. But the benefits are tried and tested reliability and cost effective parts replacement when needed. 

Edited by Fungyee77
  • Praise 4

I actually looked at both car recently and the Hyundai price drop is even more attractive than before.

Bottom line is, if cost is a key concern, then the Elantra makes much more sense.  Don't forget they also have a better financing options so the car will be much cheaper while you have it (maybe OMV is a bit less so you get less back at the end)

However, I signed for Cerato, because the inside feel was just so much better, and also the trimming upgrades between models seem more significant - e.g. bigger rims, leather seats, etc that make quality of life feel better. I feel like there wasn't much difference between base and S, and between S and Elite on the Elantra.

• Praise 3

I actually looked at both car recently and the Hyundai price drop is even more attractive than before.

Bottom line is, if cost is a key concern, then the Elantra makes much more sense. Don't forget they also have a better financing options so the car will be much cheaper while you have it (maybe OMV is a bit less so you get less back at the end)

However, I signed for Cerato, because the inside feel was just so much better, and also the trimming upgrades between models seem more significant - e.g. bigger rims, leather seats, etc that make quality of life feel better. I feel like there wasn't much difference between base and S, and between S and Elite on the Elantra.

Financing wise, I am still undecided whether to go for over trade.

If no overtrade, Hyundai is cheaper.

But if taking overtrade, KIA is a straight forward 12k overtrade.

Whereas for Hyundai, interest rate jump to 2.98, I still need to pay 10 percent of the overtrade amount, which makes it kind of no sense to do overtrade with Komoco.

• Praise 1

The Elantra has identical capacity, hp and torque as the Cerato. Being sister companies, suspect its the same engine or a closely related engine, so your engine concerns on the Cerato will probably be there on the Elantra as well.

Frankly the Altis, Civic and Sylphy have similarly old engines. The downside is less power and lower efficiency than newer engines seen in European makes like VW group, Peugeot, Citroen etc. But the benefits are tried and tested reliability and cost effective parts replacement when needed.

The cerato’s Engine is actually 1 generation behind the Elantra.

good thread.

i m also hunting for a replacement car.

my guidelines: 1.6 sedan, non: turbo, continental, PI.

have crossed out sylphy, altis, civic, madza for various reasons.

now down to KIA cerato , haha

but keeping my options open ..... once i pay deposit that's my freedom gone, haha

• Praise 1

Oh ok did not know that.

Thought they are both based on the Gamma engine. Strange to have very similar outputs for a nex gen engine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Gamma_engine

If I did not miss out anything on my research, Current Elantra angina comes with smartstream and AMS.

And dunno is it psychological, the cerato felt a little more sluggish despite being 100kg lighter and rougher

If I did not miss out anything on my research, Current Elantra angina comes with smartstream and AMS.

And dunno is it psychological, the cerato felt a little more sluggish despite being 100kg lighter and rougher

Ok got it... maybe that explains why Elantra has marginally better fuel economy and CO2 emission despite being heavier. 

• Praise 1

good thread.

i m also hunting for a replacement car.

my guidelines: 1.6 sedan, non: turbo, continental, PI.

have crossed out sylphy, altis, civic, madza for various reasons.

now down to KIA cerato , haha

but keeping my options open ..... once i pay deposit that's my freedom gone, haha

Lol you cross everything out already. 

Other than Cerato/Elantra left what? If Civic off your list, also means City off? Same for Altis/Vios?

• Praise 1

Other than Cerato/Elantra left what? If Civic off your list, also means City off? Same for Altis/Vios?

No like for Toyota, and Mazda.

Nissan syphyllis quite bare bone for the price and don’t like the drive.

Civic, abit expensive, and still using the old R series engine, with a cvt some more (a downgrade from the FD imo) the 1.5 one is out of my budget.

City vs Jazz, the Jazz 1.5 is nicer to drive. But pricing a little steep, and body quite hollow. Road noise and engine noise quite loud compared. Has got a more engaging drive and easier to throw around compared to the 2 Koreans thou. I am not ruling the Jazz out yet.

I am actually on my 3rd Honda now. (ES5, CL7 and now CP2)

can share how it is 1 generation behind ?

See my previous post.

Does the smartstream and ams make a difference?

City , Vios, jazz is out.

Never thought of Elantra.

My current ride will be scrapping in December, am considering between the Elantra S and Cerato EX not ruling out other options looks the Jazz 1.5

The Hyundai is at the tail end of its current facelift with 2019 model already announced. Whereas the Cerato is a brand new facelift.

Was actually quite biased against against Kia before yesterday as I totally hated the old Cerato, forte, and k3. So my test drive for the Cerato was pretty biased also. Until yesterday after I paid a second visit to Hyundai, then decided to pop by C&C just to look at the c4 cactus, the Cerato was parked outside.

The more I look at it, the more the looks grow on me. So went inside the showroom again, have a sit inside the Cerato’s cabin......is like totally win the Elantra many times over.

I don’t reallly mind the exterior of the Elantra S but I find the interior very dated.

The Cerato EX cost more, but the equipment level is close to the Elantra elite.

Weight wise, the Elantra is 100kg heavier

Engine wise, the Cerato is using an older generation engine. (This is my main concern)

I test drive both cars, but am unable to get any head on conclusion as I went to test drive the Elantra at leng kee and the Cerato at ubi.

I don’t know is it psychological, but the Hyundai felt smoother and picks up abit easier.

The additional 50l boot space of the Cerato doesn’t concern me much.

Cerato is brand new model.. not FL.

Elantra is FL upcoming.. what you're buying now is likely the pre-FL model.

Cabin feel, based on design, materials and creature comforts, is usually quite important for me, because we spend the most time in the car. It has to be something I like or gets me excited about.

Exterior sheet metal also important. Also between the 2, some people may feel better driving a new model (Cerato) compared to a pre-FL or recently FL model.

I think every other aspects are negligible since they are v similar.

Have fun choosing, try to enjoy it, don't be so stressed.

• Praise 4

Impreza? Camry? Struggling to think of anything else... mebbe Cerato is inevitable :D

none of those.

for camry , i have passed the age - now have to drive more frugal cars   [;)]

my family already given ok for cerato - but i no strong urge to commit     :D

• Praise 1

none of those.

for camry , i have passed the age - now have to drive more frugal cars [;)]

my family already given ok for cerato - but i no strong urge to commit :D

SE text me this morning, SX model $84999
↡ Advertisement