Headlight problems with modern cars?

Terrylmt

I chose to turn on my headlight manually because i noticed if the headlight stalk control is switched to auto, it doesnt always turn on past 7pm. I do not want to be fined by some TP wanting to meet their kpi near the end of the month.

I had been fined before by TP for not turning on my motorcycle headlight and its not something i wish to be repeated.

↡ Advertisement

There was one night there was this black Honda Odyssey driving without the lights on. Even from the back, if not for the street lights, I wouldn't have noticed it.

Thankfully, this Odyssey has the DRLs. We happen to stop side by side at the traffic light and here comes the interesting part;

I honked this driver but he got no reaction other than just looking straight. So I gave a few more honks and he looked at me and wave in a way "get lost". I hand signalled him that his headlights weren't on, and he just nod his head. Again I signalled him to wind down his window, but he just nodded his head. Lights turn green, there was no reaction from him at all and still driving without lights other than the "thank goodness DRLs", we drove off.

I am sorry to say, but the reaction of the driver (uncle probably in his early 50s) seemingly rude and arrogant. I find his reaction is totally appaling. What's the fear for just winding down the window to hear other driver who wants you to warn you something when you are the hazard?

Edited by Heartbreakid
  • Praise 3

TP should just do a simple operation targeting these stealth drivers — so easy to catch as you can easily get at least ten cars or more every single night these days. Stealthy road hoggers are a nuisance but the real danger are the occasional stealth missles — going fast on lane 1 with no lights!!!

Actually Car Mfg can just do 1 simple Step,since DRL,Licence Plate & Back Lights mostly LED,they just programme..the Lights on once engine is Started at night,same concept as Motorcycles.

There was one night there was this black Honda Odyssey driving without the lights on. Even from the back, if not for the street lights, I wouldn't have noticed it.

Thankfully, this Odyssey has the DRLs. We happen to stop side by side at the traffic light and here comes the interesting part;

I honked this driver but he got no reaction other than just looking straight. So I gave a few more honks and he looked at me and wave in a way "get lost". I hand signalled him that his headlights weren't on, and he just nod his head. Again I signalled him to wind down his window, but he just nodded his head. Lights turn green, there was no reaction from him at all and still driving without lights other than the "thank goodness DRLs", we drove off.

I am sorry to say, but the reaction of the driver (uncle probably in his early 50s) seemingly rude and arrogant. I find his reaction is totally appaling. What's the fear for just winding down the window to hear other driver who wants you to warn you something when you are the hazard?

Sent footage to TP.

Sabo him

• Praise 1

If a driver cannot and do not know if the headlights are on while driving at night, he/she should not be driving at all.

Some car if silver or white color still ok, u can see them but if its a black car without headlight, u might not see them in a glance through side mirror

Worse rain at night

They will be thinking your car auto headlights spoilt still don't want to change.ð

They must be thinking this driver so childish one like to play lights lol Edited by Thaiyotakamli

Why are Daytime Running Lights required?

DRLs are nothing more than a fanciful feature that saps the battery power.

If you want to be seen in the day, just turn on your headlights.

• Praise 1

On the Axio I drive, there is a little light on the dashboard, which indicates whether the headlight is ON or OFF.

But you probably won't pay attention to it, unlike when the whole instrument cluster is dark and you can't see it at night.

I think most of the cause is the cluster lighting which is always ON.

Reminds me of an incident when I was in my friend's car about more than 10 years ago.

A cabbie keep on horning and gesturing at him for quite a distance for about 5 mins. My friend got rather unhappy and keep kpkb and spew vulgarities, thinking the cabbie is trying to provoke him. Then finally stopped at the red light junction. The cabbie by the other lane point at him again.  He dulan and wound down the window and shouted what he want. Cabbie tell him his headlights were not on. My friend immediately got embarrassed and gestured a thank you. 

I sit by the side cannot laugh, only arm chio.  :secret-laugh:

Edited by DACH

One of the member in a car owners club that I have joined has given a tips in the FB page that I really feel is the "best" advice ever heard in my driving life.

He says to preserve & prolong our car's battery's life, we shouldn't switch on our headlights unnecessary even driving in the night because the usage of the headlights will add burden on the alternator & battery.

Really want to give him a clap.....

• Praise 1

I have a feeling someone will jump in and say "Singapore road is so bright, no need to one also can see"

There are self centred drivers. Thinking only that on headlights meant for themselves to see what's on the road.

Forgotten about other drivers might need to filter which will not be able to gauge the approaching speed of cars without headlights on.

To those airheaded and lofty-minded ones - I’d ask them, what if we have a blackout suddenly?

Crash and burn?

Reminds me of an incident when I was in my friend's car about more than 10 years ago.

A cabbie keep on horning and gesturing at him for quite a distance for about 5 mins. My friend got rather unhappy and keep kpkb and spew vulgarities, thinking the cabbie is trying to provoke him. Then finally stopped at the red light junction. The cabbie by the other lane point at him again.  He dulan and wound down the window and shouted what he want. Cabbie tell him his headlights were not on. My friend immediately got embarrassed and gestured a thank you. 

I sit by the side cannot laugh, only arm chio.  :secret-laugh:

Such reaction is v common when I flash/tap horn to gesture lights not turn on.. dunno what's wrong with these people, so angsty.

A cabbie keep on horning and gesturing at him for quite a distance for about 5 mins. My friend got rather unhappy and keep kpkb and spew vulgarities, thinking the cabbie is trying to provoke him. Then finally stopped at the red light junction. The cabbie by the other lane point at him again. He dulan and wound down the window and shouted what he want. Cabbie tell him his headlights were not on. My friend immediately got embarrassed and gestured a thank you.

I sit by the side cannot laugh, only arm chio. :secret-laugh:

You laugh can.. just have to walk home nia
  • Praise 1

I maybe one of them in rare case say 1 out of 1000 times forget to on headlight.

It maybe due to mind too focus on other thing and forget to on headlight. Dashboard light up with or without headlight on. So well.. Its only 1/1000 chance will missed it.

I sat in a uber vios once in thailalnd .

Waited for 5 mins and can't stand it anymore and had to tell her that the headlights are not turned on. It was 10pm.

• Praise 1

I normally overtake and then slow down n switch off my lights momentarily and then turn on. Then zoom off

70% will get the hint and switch on the lights

Ladies consperm 100% never get the hint. They think I flashing them , must be

• Praise 2

Twincharged

I hate the DRLs. Some are worse than highbeam. Especially the Altis ones. Their DRLs very glaring especially at night if they never on their headlights.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1