Headlight problems with modern cars?

Terrylmt

I blame it on Initial D. Takumi set a bad example by switching off his headlights when overtaking. So if racing also no need headlights, normal driving lagi no need ma...

Edited by 159er
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Personally, I leave it at "A" and don't worry about it.

They chase you because they (s)excited too... lol ..

But yeah, I get my fair share of death stares and antagonized glares, until I wind down my window, and shout "HEADLIGHTS!!" and do my "baby-five" hand gesture.

Exactly what the missus says, "Stay away from those i****s.. later get sucked into an accident with them.."

Mine no auto headlight.

Mine no auto headlight.

:slow::shy:

I blame it on Initial D. Takumi set a bad example by switching off his headlights when overtaking. So if racing also no need headlights, normal driving lagi no need ma...

Not just self centred. They are Idiots because they lack sense of self preservation.

Don't know coincidental or not, noticed many of those without headlights on at night are dark coloured cars.

I switch my car headlights on because I want to Be Visible to other road users. And not just at night, will do it whenever it rains.

Yes same observation as well most are dark coloured cars.

They must thought they are stealthy.

But I struggle to see the relevance of time zones & brightness of the sky at 7pm to turning on the headlamps.

I am just trying to say Automatic Headlights doesn’t activate at 7pm because it is still bright

I noticed my ride will turn on after 7.30pm

Thank you

Perhaps let me shed some lights on why many owners driving modern cars do not on headlights after 7pm.

1) They r nearing home.

2) They forgot to turn on as they did not set as Auto headlight.

3) Many did not set Auto Headlight because sometimes a little dark, the car will also on headlight..

4) Save cost. Modern cars comes with HID lights. in my case, i always set as auto headlight. But didnt realise my car is on HID lights. 1 bulb cost me $300 to change outside workshop, while agent charge me $600-$700. And i am only saying changing of HID bulb. There is still Balast to consider if it fails.

5) Save cost. Some modern cars comes with halogen lights. But like most who doesn’t signal so as to prolong the lifespan of the bulb.

6) Modern cars come with DRL lights. It is auto on when u start ur engine. Many owners think it is not necessary to on headlight as the purpose is for other cars to watch out for them... DRL lights are bright enough to show others it’s a car at night.

Perhaps this speaks why.

Tmr i gonna change my HID bulb. And I gonna stop turning on my headlights as Auto.

I am just trying to say Automatic Headlights doesn’t activate at 7pm because it is still bright

I noticed my ride will turn on after 7.30pm

Thank you

• Praise 2

Auto headlights are triggered by ambient light sensor, not clock. It gets triggered in basement or tunnels too.

Of course I know bro

I am trying to explain about the brightness and darkness

Timing as rough guidelines

• Praise 1

Agree with OP that it's a design problem from the manufacturers. Before I switch to a car with auto headlights, my wife asked me when need to on light? I tell her that it's very simple, when you can't see your speedometer then just turn on. I have looked into the dashboards of all drivers that didn't on lights at night and their dashboard is all lighted up.

Partly it's also because Singapore is so brightly lit, those goondus can't tell if their headlights are on or off.

• Praise 3

Perhaps let me shed some lights on why many owners driving modern cars do not on headlights after 7pm.

1) They r nearing home.

2) They forgot to turn on as they did not set as Auto headlight.

3) Many did not set Auto Headlight because sometimes a little dark, the car will also on headlight..

4) Save cost. Modern cars comes with HID lights. in my case, i always set as auto headlight. But didnt realise my car is on HID lights. 1 bulb cost me $300 to change outside workshop, while agent charge me $600-$700. And i am only saying changing of HID bulb. There is still Balast to consider if it fails.

5) Save cost. Some modern cars comes with halogen lights. But like most who doesnât signal so as to prolong the lifespan of the bulb.

6) Modern cars come with DRL lights. It is auto on when u start ur engine. Many owners think it is not necessary to on headlight as the purpose is for other cars to watch out for them... DRL lights are bright enough to show others itâs a car at night.

Perhaps this speaks why.

Tmr i gonna change my HID bulb. And I gonna stop turning on my headlights as Auto. ðð and I will try to remember to turn on headlights.

Those saving costs just to save a few bucks from those halogen bulbs, I suggest them don't buy car the next time. That is the ultimate saving and not just save costs on these owners side but also keep the roads safe. Win win situation.

To be fair, sometimes hard to see if your headlights are switched on at night. I know my headlights are on at night, but if I look out, can barely see my lights. Some other cars headlights I see very bright. So might depend on the car also...

Why it bothers so many ppl here? I couldn't care less. It's not like ppl cannot see the no headlight car. Some ppl just forget. Not a sin. They will just realised it later.

To be fair, sometimes hard to see if your headlights are switched on at night. I know my headlights are on at night, but if I look out, can barely see my lights. Some other cars headlights I see very bright. So might depend on the car also...

Yeah,

Mine is an old car without auto headlights.

Sometimes forget.... But for those with auto headlamps, don't see why it shouldn't be set on auto all the time.

Edited by Kusje
  • Praise 1

Why it bothers so many ppl here? I couldn't care less. It's not like ppl cannot see the no headlight car. Some ppl just forget. Not a sin. They will just realised it later.

Those who forget are OK. Worst are those who don't turn on headlights, but turn on the fog lights instead! (both front and occasionally rear)

This group I label as idiotic.

NOTE: I am required by MCF forum software to pick a "Related Car Brand" - and hence went with the one which I see the most regular occurrence of. This is by no means a flame or "axe-to-grind" post.

Do you ever notice, ever so often, that a car's headlights are not turned on even though it is pitch black as coal in the sky?

I certainly do, and I confirm this by looking at the most obvious tell-tale sign - their rear license plate lights. If you notice, when you do turn on your headlights meant for illuminating the road ahead of you, your rear license lights will turn on. They will not turn on if you are on DRL (or low light) mode.

So why am I raising this topic? Because I am finding that more and more modern models from Honda, Toyota, etc. are traveling on the roads at night with no headlights on! And I attribute this to the fact that the instrument clusters of these vehicles are lit up regardless whether the headlights are on or not.

Back in the not-so-long-ago times, the instrument cluster would only light up if you turned your headlights on. But with the new digital instrument clusters, or forever-light-up-like-Christmas analog clusters - careless drivers are driving around without any lights, and potentially might cause harm to themselves, and other unwary/unobservant road users.

I keenly remember that my aunt's old Corolla Altis from 2004 already has auto-headlights as a default setting in the light stalk. Is it really that difficult to swivel it over to "A" for safety's sake? Also, no matter how cool or bright your DRLs are - they do not replace the headlights.

What do YOU think? Let's talk about that.

Not sure if anyone notice. But when your headlights is off, the illumination of the cluster is brighter when comparing to the headlights when switched off. Reason is that when the headlights is off, the settings assume that the vehicle is under bright sunlight and the cluster glows more intense for the driver to see the contrast. Something like your mobile phone. It's quite hard to miss actually.

However, there is a setting in my car which switch on the rear lights, off the headlights and dims the DRL (comparing to turning the lights off). I once drove with that setting around. Don't know what is it for and I did not read the manual.

James Bond Stealth mode......you driving Aston Martin huh? :D

JK!

However, there is a setting in my car which switch on the rear lights, off the headlights and dims the DRL (comparing to turning the lights off). I once drove with that setting around. Don't know what is it for and I did not read the manual.

Those saving costs just to save a few bucks from those halogen bulbs, I suggest them don't buy car the next time. That is the ultimate saving and not just save costs on these owners side but also keep the roads safe. Win win situation. ð

The best sensor we can have is our own human judgement. Some invention, like the all-time lit instrument clusters and auto whatever simply make humans work towards failure because we don't even know how to judge and operate the simpliest operation after getting used to these silly gadgets. ð

Well... if it’s stock bulbs.. it’s definitely cheap. But not all drivers want yellow Halogen lights. They go for after market whiter lights. Thats the cost..

Because it concerns safety, especially at a junction and affects how fast other drivers can reaction. Is good to be mindful about it. Edited by Heartbreakid
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1