Malaysia floats plan for third link to Singapore

Wt_know

Dunno where they are going to get all the customs officers and security and immigration officials from.

If it is that easy to get then they should fill all the booths available now and then there would be no jam.

• Praise 4

* deleted

mod: insensitive comment.

There are many possible reasons. I just give those that might make economical or general sense.

1) a bridge to pulau ubin will not be useful unless there is a further bridge from pulau ubin to Singapore. Implications for sembawang shipyard if shipping routes are more congested?

2) A midway point like pulau ubin can actually be very profitable. Cyclists from pulau ubin would cycle to east JB for food and drinks and snacks opposed to buying them in changi or even pulau ubin, thus revitalising the economy there.

3) since Singapore cars cannot go to pulau ubin (unless the Singapore govt also builds a bridge over which is suicide for sembawang shipyard and while it also affects pasir gudang, it depends on how badly it will be affected like for example they plan to shift the port so will not be affected anyway), vehicular traffic would be mainly Malaysian vehicles who will have a good and safe place to park their vehicles before hopping over to Singapore to work or shop. Don't forget Singapore and Malaysia have a policy of matching tolls and since the pulau ubin to johore link will only consist of Malaysian vehicles, Malaysia can simply charge a nominal 1 RM toll with no road charge Singapore will have to match it but only Malaysian vehicles will benefit.

Imagine the Malaysian motorcycle who come to Singapore via woodlands now just parking at pulau ubin and taking a bum boat over to Singapore on weekdays and the company just provide a shuttle service from changi village to the company. The traffic will be easy for them since majority will only be Malaysian vehicles with little or no Singapore vehicles.

So it might not be that stupid.

Of cos there are other possibilities but my reasons are the ones that might show economical benefits for Malaysia when they suggest this plans.

Twincharged

All I can think off it’s another infrastructure project where they can use to “profit” from it. Just build first. Not the first and for sure not the last.

• Praise 1

There are many possible reasons. I just give those that might make economical or general sense.

1) a bridge to pulau ubin will not be useful unless there is a further bridge from pulau ubin to Singapore. Implications for sembawang shipyard if shipping routes are more congested?

2) A midway point like pulau ubin can actually be very profitable. Cyclists from pulau ubin would cycle to east JB for food and drinks and snacks opposed to buying them in changi or even pulau ubin, thus revitalising the economy there.

3) since Singapore cars cannot go to pulau ubin (unless the Singapore govt also builds a bridge over which is suicide for sembawang shipyard and while it also affects pasir gudang, it depends on how badly it will be affected like for example they plan to shift the port so will not be affected anyway), vehicular traffic would be mainly Malaysian vehicles who will have a good and safe place to park their vehicles before hopping over to Singapore to work or shop. Don't forget Singapore and Malaysia have a policy of matching tolls and since the pulau ubin to johore link will only consist of Malaysian vehicles, Malaysia can simply charge a nominal 1 RM toll with no road charge Singapore will have to match it but only Malaysian vehicles will benefit.

Imagine the Malaysian motorcycle who come to Singapore via woodlands now just parking at pulau ubin and taking a bum boat over to Singapore on weekdays and the company just provide a shuttle service from changi village to the company. The traffic will be easy for them since majority will only be Malaysian vehicles with little or no Singapore vehicles.

So it might not be that stupid.

Of cos there are other possibilities but my reasons are the ones that might show economical benefits for Malaysia when they suggest this plans.

Semb shipyard already moving to their mega yard right?

"Yesterday, I had a discussion with interested parties about the possibility of a third link from east Johor. We observed that the area was close to Pulau Ubin - they were only about 3km apart," Mr Osman told reporters. 

Mr Osman said it was likely that the link would have a different customs and immigration system from the one used at the Causeway and the Tuas Second Link. 

"We may use a new system. It could be that Singapore's and Malaysia's immigration checks will be conducted just once either in Pengerang or in Pulau Ubin," said the minister. 

I just checked google maps. Pengerang isn't 3km from Ubin leh....  and the bridge route will have to pass thru Tekong.

I will believe it when the construction starts......even then I will keep my finger cross that it actually completes in my lifetime. :D

I just checked google maps. Pengerang isn't 3km from Ubin leh....  and the bridge route will have to pass thru Tekong.

Pasir Gudang to Singapore much more sensible.

The throughput of existing causeway/bridge is not the cause of the congestion. Its the CIQ on both sides. Just

ICA staff are usually SG citizens, which is in big shortage. To go full automated will need huge parking Q areas.

• Praise 1

(edited)

The throughput of existing causeway/bridge is not the cause of the congestion. Its the CIQ on both sides. Just

ICA staff are usually SG citizens, which is in big shortage. To go full automated will need huge parking Q areas.

yeah. the choke points are at both checkpoint

again i respect the need to check cars

nowadays sibei many cheongster try to smuggle ciggy, drug, animal, simi sai ... [hur]

the only way is to have many many checkpoint counters as “release valve”

Edited by Wt_know

Better wait for the M'sia Gov't settle down first,later if change Gov't,project cancel again. [bigcry] ...Then S'pore Gov't will again waste Taxpayer's $$$$. [furious]  [thumbsdown]

• Praise 2

He is known in the past to be the 10% man. Old contracts no interest to him coz no 10 %. So he killed all this old contracts.. now he start new proposals .. leopard where got change spots? This fellow especially..

• Praise 4

The crooked bridge is back!

Ah khaw should quickly agree. Then after they shiok shiok award everything to their cronies, ah khaw can do a lao ma n ask for ‘deferment’.......

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1