RSAF pilot sue cabby for 4million dollars

Yewheng

it can be quite tricky to insure individual parts.

Say a hand surgeon: not only is he dependent on his pair of hands, what if the elbow and shoulders are injured causing him not to be able to lift his hands for proper hand dexterity movements to occur?

The eye sight to peer into the microscope for fine 2 point differentiation. Mental focus ability to carry through a taxing hours long microsurgery operation. Severe back pain that affects his ability to sit through a hours long operation. and many more.

How do we insure all these individually.

Those celebrities in the news about insuring their butts or boobs are just tabloid nonsense to fan discussions. How practical is that kind of insurance. Imagine Jennier lopez butts is preserved but her legs are amputated off or she is facially disfigured, will she be able to claim anything?

which is what i mean you buy insurance so that you can get more pay out, whether from your own or other party.

I also mentioned earlier that professional should insure on their own for body parts that is most important to their profession, you can't rely on other claim 100% to compensate your future living.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/rsaf-woman-helicopter-pilot-sues-cabby-for-at-least-4m-after-wrist-injury-in-accident?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&xtor=CS1-10#Echobox=1535985205

I don't think this is healthy at all if judge approved the damages that the RSAF pliot want to get from cabby due to cabby negligence in beating red light.

Imagine if Judge approved, we maybe following USA footstep where a simple fall in Mcdonald due to floor is wet and Mcdonald can get sued for few millions in dollar. Not healthy at all. So hope judge to reject the 4million in damages and injuries but maybe instead only approved say 20k due to cabby is also wrong in the 1st place by beating red light. So the cabby also need to bare some consequences.

it's a foreseeable loss on the part of the pilot given that the taxi driver would conceivably cause an accident by beating the red light.

the claim amount is just the delta become the pilot's expected earning over a lifetime vs her projected earnings post accident.

e.g if i am a 20 yr old earning 100k a year.  average life expectancy is 80yr old. after accident i can only earn 50k a year. 

so is it unreasonable of me to claim 50k x 60years = $3m

because that would have been my earning if you did not injure me?

the fact that the taxi driver have already admitted 100% liablility is pretty damming.

the large payout is a factor due to her earning potential and her relatively young age.

any lawyers here please feel free to correct me if im wrong?

• Praise 3

Everyone needs to be responsible for their actions, she is claiming the delta of what her future was to be vs what is was reduced to thanks to the accident and the amounts are no wholly exaggerated unlike cases in the US. If this was the US she would probably sue for 100 Million

The special damages claims include $2,179,367 for loss of future earnings up till retirement from the RSAF at age 50 and $1,827,000 for loss of future earnings after retirement.

Cases like this one the driver should have been made fully liable to pay for the boy medical expenses (disappointed that the sentences was so weak), then it will teach people there is consequence to their actions.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/father-of-boy-partially-paralysed-in-tailgater-crash-weve-almost-depleted-our

She still have her job. Just that it's a downgrade. If she has accident insurance. She could also claim it. If she never buy then too bad. So I don't see any reason why she still need to sue such huge amount of 4 million.

We cannot follow USA footstep where a lady fall down in McDonald due to floor is wet and sue Mcdonald for few millions. This is no good.

• Praise 1

So still the same question.

If all is awarded, insurance co gonna pay 4M? Surely the taxi lao is in no capacity to pay that.

If yes, can declare bankruptcy to siam the hugh compensation?

which part of

'apache pilot'

you fail to comprehend? How many are there?

Wait till a top hand surgeon get whacked...then we will see the real moolah

I also apache pilot, I use 1 hand to fly my bird. If I kena injured, I also sue for 4mil :D
  • Praise 2

So still the same question.

If all is awarded, insurance co gonna pay 4M? Surely the taxi lao is in no capacity to pay that.

If yes, can declare bankruptcy to siam the hugh compensation?

once for all......the insurance company will pay all damages awarded by the Court.

Edited by sake
  • Praise 3

Everyone needs to be responsible for their actions, she is claiming the delta of what her future was to be vs what is was reduced to thanks to the accident and the amounts are no wholly exaggerated unlike cases in the US. If this was the US she would probably sue for 100 Million

The special damages claims include $2,179,367 for loss of future earnings up till retirement from the RSAF at age 50 and $1,827,000 for loss of future earnings after retirement.

Cases like this one the driver should have been made fully liable to pay for the boy medical expenses (disappointed that the sentences was so weak), then it will teach people there is consequence to their actions.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/father-of-boy-partially-paralysed-in-tailgater-crash-weve-almost-depleted-our

Yes, can claim what ever one wanted. 1 billion also can Whether can get in the end is another story.

The cabbie can just serve his sentence in jail. Con million dollar conartist also serve their sentence in such manner. Does that made the victim satisfy?

Yes, can claim what ever one wanted. 1 billion also can Whether can get in the end is another story.

The cabbie can just serve his sentence in jail. Con million dollar conartist also serve their sentence in such manner. Does that made the victim satisfy?

kong simi? 

you have a point there.

now we wonder how much did she insured for herself? did she take her career seriously and insured $2 million (or more) for such accident that cause 'disability' to perform in her career, or should it be the duty of the air force?

you can say american like to sue and claim insurance, but they not only sue other party, they also claim gao gao from their own insurance.

I don't think insurer here cover loss of military career.

The personal insurance pay out is just standard personal accident payout. Which is paltry.

Her case is only loss of use not loss of members.

The special damages claims include $2,179,367 for loss of future earnings up till retirement from the RSAF at age 50 and $1,827,000 for loss of future earnings after retirement.

This case the father should sue the car seat manufacturer if the boy is belted up.

If not belted up can only blame himself for not ensuring the safety of passengers.

The question is why a delivery man is driving at the right most lane? Assuming delivery man is driving a delivery vehicle.

With the judgement meted out against the delivery driver, maybe the boy father should take civil actions.

Edited by Atonchia
  • Praise 1

Thing is when a car gets rear ended even the driver can get a whiplash, paralysis after getting hit is not uncommon even with seat belt on. The seat belt actually does not protect against the whipsaw motion of the neck I believe the air bag is aimed to cushion that blow for front passengers.

If I were the parent I would also take on a civil case, but then again civil case cost money and the family savings probably got wiped out to care for the boy.

This case the father should sue the car seat manufacturer if the boy is belted up.

If not belted up can only blame himself for not ensuring the safety of passengers.

The question is why a delivery man is driving at the right most lane? Assuming delivery man is driving a delivery vehicle.
With the judgement meted out against the delivery driver, maybe the boy father should take civil actions.

• Praise 2

it can be quite tricky to insure individual parts.

Say a hand surgeon: not only is he dependent on his pair of hands, what if the elbow and shoulders are injured causing him not to be able to lift his hands for proper hand dexterity movements to occur?

The eye sight to peer into the microscope for fine 2 point differentiation. Mental focus ability to carry through a taxing hours long microsurgery operation. Severe back pain that affects his ability to sit through a hours long operation. and many more.

How do we insure all these individually.

Those celebrities in the news about insuring their butts or boobs are just tabloid nonsense to fan discussions. How practical is that kind of insurance. Imagine Jennier lopez butts is preserved but her legs are amputated off or she is facially disfigured, will she be able to claim anything?

All these specialized coverage cannot get in Singapore.

Need to get a broker to source from Lloyd's of London market.

As Apache pilot, she is likely to be on reject list of insurers in Sg or has to go through special consideration.

Even she could buy PA, there is whole list of exclusion clause due to her profession.

• Praise 1

Why not? you buy insurance to get more pay out right? whether coming from other or your own.

No sane lawyer will tell you to claim your own policy.

It is always party at fault 1st. Then own policy.

You don't buy insurance to cover other ppl backside

Edited by Davidtch

once for all......the insurance company will pay all damages awarded by the Court.

Paiseh ah bro I'm still confused.

She sue teksi lao, so taxi lao should pay right? Why should teksi lao's insurer pay?

It's a civil suit where teksi lao is the defendant, not his insurer.

Correcto!

So, it's actually important to report accidents to your insurer rather than avoiding it as insurer can repudiate the claim if failure to do so. And the insured will have to bear all consequences him/herself.

Purpose of 3rd party motor insurance is to let victims claim their fair dues and protect defendants against financial loss of potentially huge unlimited claim.

That's why 3rd party cover is just only slightly cheaper than comprehensive.

• Praise 3

You buy motor insurance is to protect you from 3rd party claims mah.

Oops I thought motor insurance is to cover vehicle repairs and loss of use and whatever related to the car nia.

I din know it covers claims for future earnings.

My bad. Understand liao. Thanks bro

↡ Advertisement