MPs raise banning smoking in one’s own HDB flat

ChaosMyth

I think you got it wrong. My neighbor directly below is a smoker and I have had disputes with him for years until recently he has become more considerate.

I wouldn't deny anyone's right to smoke in their own house, the issue is your second hand smoke going out of your house and poisoning others in theirs.

I think we should treat second hand smoke the same as litter. Just like you can eat and drink in public areas but cannot litter your discards. Your secondhand smoke is harzardous pollution.

Smokers who want to smoke in your houses, please go ahead but close your windows and enjoy.

You want to smoke in public? Put a plastic bag or fish tank over your head

Edited by Aloe111
  • Praise 4

Wanna ban also should not only ban for HDB.. this only fuels the argument that those living in HDB are lesser owners to their flats as compared to private flats.  

• Praise 1

Wanna ban also should not only ban for HDB.. this only fuels the argument that those living in HDB are lesser owners to their flats as compared to private flats.  

HDB got town council can interfere whereas private apartment got their own management to decide and impose.

I think you got it wrong. My neighbor directly below is a smoker and I have had disputes with him for years until recently he has become more considerate.

I wouldn't deny anyone's right to smoke in their own house, the issue is your second hand smoke going out of your house and poisoning others in theirs.

I think we should treat second hand smoke the same as litter. Just like you can eat and drink in public areas but cannot litter your discards. Your secondhand smoke is harzardous pollution.

Smokers who want to smoke in your houses, please go ahead but close your windows and enjoy.

You want to smoke in public? Put a plastic bag or fish tank over your head

that why flats are on lease, unlike 99 years private properties are own as you have the RIGHT to do what you want in your home without restriction!

eg. smoking, cats, hidden wire inside wall etc

Landlord =HDB they set rules for you to live within the boundary, tenant= whoever buy HDB yeah :p

Edited by D3badge
  • Praise 2

This remind me of many years back don't know which MP / minister suggest that to remove all hawker centre. Than what happened? Now they u turn and want to build more hawker centre.

So this one.. Surely will u turn as it will be a public backlesh.

You want to smoke in public? Put a plastic bag or fish tank over your head ð

LOL... your post is funny.

I agree with you. I support the new law too.

My neighbour downstairs also. He used to smoke in the balcony and the smoke went up into our balcony. It was so smelly we could smell from our living room.

Now he smokes in tbe kitchen. Then the smoke goes into our kitchen and toilet.

Non smoker like me will find it smelly and difficult to tahan. I always hold my breath whenever I walk pass people smoking.

My cousin passed away last month. She had lung cancer stage 4. She had been living healthily but still kena. We suspect it must be caused by her smoking HB. She breathe in too much 2nd hand smoke from him. So sad. :(

• Praise 4

I detest this kind of smoke which gets blown into my home from a neighbouring flat but I do feel that it’s abit intrusive to not allow smoking in one’s own home.

I suppose educating smokers may help to a certain extent but unfortunately a large no. of smokers will just don’t bother so I’m abit on the fence with this proposed banning of smoking in homes.

• Praise 11

I cannot imagine these toddlers have to breathe in the 2nd hand smoke from the adolescent son and the son-in-laws. I sympathised the family, so didn't report the condition. If not likely grocery will be withdrawn.

How come report will result in grocery being withdrawn? Those are two separate things.

Back to topic, actually this is one of those times that I think the MPs who raised this are justifying their election and earning their pay. It takes some courage to do so I think.

The point is about what escapes from the flat. If a smoker closes all the windows of the flat and smoke non-stop inside, then that is the business of the smoker and whoever else is in the flat. But the moment smoke from a cigarette goes out of the flat, that is an entirely different thing altogether. 

some would say hard truth

:D

I am lucky to have reasonable-nice neighbor, despite being different (Malay, Indian, local Chinese, main-land Chinese (loud-type))..

Malay & local Chinese neighbors being the most quite amongst all, inviting us for lunch/dinner over Raya, CNY, & sharing of foods..

Indian neighbor very religious; daily affairs are burning incense & ringing bells.  Sometime quite disturbing.. 

I really hope these would stop...I know it won't...

Main-land Chinese; when they start a conversation, is like broad-casting.   Sometime quite disturbing..

We still greet each other when we cross path...

Of course there are smokers...Sometime I can smell smoke coming into bed-rooms, living area, kitchen.  Sometime quite disturbing..I am glad that I have reliable fans from KDK...

ALL these and others come & go, at most a few minutes...

There are other important things we need to build/share, give & take with our neighbors...so to co-exist & share living space...

The moment we exercise the Low to No-EQ idea of banning something within home...I can imagine Town counsel need to hire more peace-makers/investigators for mitigatory works.  I hope not to see neighbor turning into enemy because some self-righteous idea of laying a ban on something you do within your living space. 

• Praise 5

Ban them from smoking in public area.

Ban them from smoking in their own home.

Then what's the next step? 

Edited by Lala81

Ban them from smoking in public area.

Ban them from smoking in their own home.

Then what's the next step? 

Ban them from smoking completely?

Nah, then how to replace that 1 bil of revenue per yr?

don't ban also can

fine them if smoke comes out of their flats

i will baotoh my downstairs neighbour every day as my contribution to national reserves

don't ban also can

fine them if smoke comes out of their flats

i will baotoh my downstairs neighbour every day as my contribution to national reserves

Uh.... isn't you live in driver sleeping in your GCB basement?

baotoh your own employee? just designate a smoking corner for them la.

Who ever said about banning it completely?

Create specific smoking areas with exhaust vents.  Operator requires license to operate as well.  SGD10 levy for each person to use each time to educate you on the cost of smoking.

[laugh]

They will never do that.

Is that an infringement of common civil liberty?

We want to be a Puritan society? no alcohol, no tobacco, no gambling? only sit down and pray?

E-cigarettes could have reduced this problem, but we banned it too.

Who ever said about banning it completely?

Create specific smoking areas with exhaust vents.  Operator requires license to operate as well.  SGD10 levy for each person to use each time to educate you on the cost of smoking.

[laugh]

E-cigarettes could have improved this problem. It could have improved the health of the smoker. Improved the health of the 2nd hand sufferers.

But nope ... complete ban.

U could have just taxed the e-cigarette as much as the actual cigarette.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1