MPs raise banning smoking in one’s own HDB flat

ChaosMyth

I used to smoke so I know how it is on both sides.

Smokers don't know their smoke can affect so many people even for those try to be a bit considerate. Not to mention many other inconsiderate smokers who doesn't give a shit and smoke near children, near laundry and fling their cig butts anywhere.

• Praise 4

How come report will result in grocery being withdrawn? Those are two separate things.

Back to topic, actually this is one of those times that I think the MPs who raised this are justifying their election and earning their pay. It takes some courage to do so I think.

The point is about what escapes from the flat. If a smoker closes all the windows of the flat and smoke non-stop inside, then that is the business of the smoker and whoever else is in the flat. But the moment smoke from a cigarette goes out of the flat, that is an entirely different thing altogether.

Because if can afford to spend on cigarettes, why is there a need to get grocery worth $100 per month.

Free grocery delivered to their home.

Because if I don't deliver to them I won't know they are smoking in their home with aircondition on, with toddlers and a pre teen in the house.

• Praise 2

In theory easy to advocate education targeting smokers, but that will not solve the problem

Like some bro have said, if one has smoked before, one will know that it is very difficult for smokers to understand the impact the second

hand smoke on others because they are oblivious to the smell, so cant really blame them

also agree that banning smoking in own home may create potential problems other than the argument on individual rights

heard this funny one from a friend...

Non smoker went over to smoker neighbour and pleaded,

Bro, can u not smoke too close to my window, could not stand the smell  

Smoker retorted, whats the problem with the smell, when u cook curry, the smell always all over my place, i never complained  [laugh]

I detest this kind of smoke which gets blown into my home from a neighbouring flat but I do feel that it’s abit intrusive to not allow smoking in one’s own home.

I suppose educating smokers may help to a certain extent but unfortunately a large no. of smokers will just don’t bother so I’m abit on the fence with this proposed banning of smoking in homes.

• Praise 7

In theory easy to advocate education targeting smokers, but that will not solve the problem

Like some bro have said, if one has smoked before, one will know that it is very difficult for smokers to understand the impact the second

hand smoke on others because they are oblivious to the smell, so cant really blame them

also agree that banning smoking in own home may create potential problems other than the argument on individual rights

Smoker retorted, whats the problem with the smell, when u cook curry, the smell always all over my place, i never complained [laugh]

You see, the smoker fail to understand the difference of smoke & steam.

Steam of the curry carry the scent.

Smoke of cigarette spread the tobacco smell.

Both have scent.

But smoke have residue.

• Praise 4

Smoker retorted, whats the problem with the smell, when u cook curry, the smell always all over my place, i never complained [laugh]

Ya agreed on education possibly only working in theory and that’s why I say helps to a certain extent only cos most smokers wont bother esp with the many restricted places already hampering their ability to smoke. Banning own home smoking will only infringe their rights so twist my arm n I’m leaning towards leaving this status quo though I hate it when i breathe second hand smoke in my own living room.

• Praise 5

Ya agreed on education possibly only working in theory and that’s why I say helps to a certain extent only cos most smokers wont bother esp with the many restricted places already hampering their ability to smoke. Banning own home smoking will only infringe their rights so twist my arm n I’m leaning towards leaving this status quo though I hate it when i breathe second hand smoke in my own livin

……...

Edited by Freeder
  • Praise 1

We all need to protected by anyone burning anything in public and in private.

you mean including 7th month rite ....... @Radx wont be happy abt it   :XD:

• Praise 2

you mean including 7th month rite ....... @Radx wont be happy abt it :XD:

Not only 7 month.....every major race in SG will have such a practice. My neighbour sometime burn their urupatti (incense) in the evening and will always give me a headache. 7 month dont say......i have finished dont know how many slabs of panadol because of dry throat and eyes. The malays/muslim also have a practice of burning kemenyan during some prayer session. Muis had a hard time to dissuade some of the community leaders. Most mosques has stopped burning this incense. Only one mosque still burn incense but the incense they use is from the middle east that give out a sweet aroma.
↡ Advertisement