How do you accelerate in an automatic car?

Philipkee

Don't see this thread before but I think it was discussed before in other forums.

How do you move off or accelerate in an auto car?

Do you

1) jam the accelerator

2) move off slowly, release accelerator, press again and release then press....

3) light pressing of accelerator until desired speed

I believe few will do number 1. But I heard driving instructors teach both 2&3 so lai lai let's discuss. Who do what and why and is it better?

We had a thread on manual cars so let's talk about auto cars.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

For me, either (1) or (3) depending on mood. If I want to play with the gears, will just use steptronic to control. Somehow, my current car likes to hold the current gear even if I release throttle. My previous car would shift up to the next gear once throttle is released sufficiently.

• Praise 1

Don't see this thread before but I think it was discussed before in other forums.

Do you

1) jam the accelerator

I believe few will do number 1. But I heard driving instructors teach both 2&3 so lai lai let's discuss. Who do what and why and is it better?

Thought you drive a manual car?

Want to change to auto car?

Do you

1) jam the accelerator

I do number 1 and 3 according to................

1) jam the accelerator - with MIL in the car

3) light pressing of accelerator until desired speed - with wife or kids in the car

• Praise 5

none of the above for me.

I drive with stage acceleration. press ..hold..press further..hold.

it more like accelerating in stages.

let the car achieve the optimal rpm before pressing further if in need of speed.

same go for breaking..I tap..hold without releasing..gradually step amd hold..in stages until the car come to a stop.

Edited by Kopites

3) light pressing of accelerator until desired speed - with wife or kids in the car

why does this sound so much like our resident MIL hater @jamesc? Wahahaha.. :XD:

• Praise 9

Press pedal enough to accelerate to speed limit or whatever desired speed.. maintain if traffic allows, no traffic, press somemore.. more & more.

With family; always 3... [flowerface]

When alone (sometime only, and I am 1st car in the line, no bike around me); switch to sport mode...make myself happy for a few short mins... :grin:

Usually I’m on Sports mode all the time, even with wife in the car. Haha.

Only on rare occasions when I’m fetching her folks or mine, Comfort mode it is then.

• Praise 2

This reminds me of my previous manager who was driving a Vios. One fine day he asked me out for lunch. I was his passenger in the Vios.

Goodness, the way he drove was horrible. Step on accelerator, let go of accelerator completely for the gear to change up, then step again. Repeated process until desired speed.

I think he was not happy when I remarked that he did not need to release the accelerator completely and that the gearbox will shift up in a smoother manner if he didn't do that.

He didn't ask me out for lunch after that :D

• Praise 7

why does this sound so much like our resident MIL hater @jamesc? Wahahaha.. :XD:

Jamesc is a lover. He loves his MIL.

Love her to bits and killing her with kindness.

:D

Good driver
  • Praise 5

Do you

1) jam the accelerator

1) It will actually save the most fuel, esp if u can achieve desired cruise speed and stay there. Up to u to believe

2) Most fuel guzzling method to drive. Shorten torque converter life. Vomit inducing ride. If you are a Grab driver, prep to receive 1 or 0 star from passenger

3) It actually waste more fuel driving this way as compared to Pt 1

Being young is so gooood; spot mode all the time, wife at most grabbed something in the car and enjoy the ride with you.....

20+ years after I promote my GF to Wife, and now Home-minister...occasionally I get the death-stare  :yuush: if I perform sudden acceleration or fast lane-change... :grin:

You must be loved deep-deep by your folks & hers...for being considerate... [thumbsup]

Press pedal enough to accelerate to speed limit or whatever desired speed.. maintain if traffic allows, no traffic, press somemore.. more & more.
Usually I’m on Sports mode all the time, even with wife in the car. Haha.

Only on rare occasions when I’m fetching her folks or mine, Comfort mode it is then.

• Praise 1