Lexus digital eye

Ysc3

Personally, I would not be a fan of "digital" mirrors.

1. Possible "lag". If you want to keep your car for a longer time, the electronics might fail if it's affected by weather, degrading either the quality of the camera or the screen.

2. Scratches on the camera would be bad. At least, on a mirror, it will affect less of the entire area.

3. More electronic stuff to go wrong. I'm more of a mechanical guy, so I could be biased.

4. Screens have to be anti glare / bright enough for the day, and not too bright at night.

So, for me, no.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Personally, I would not be a fan of "digital" mirrors.

1. Possible "lag". If you want to keep your car for a longer time, the electronics might fail if it's affected by weather, degrading either the quality of the camera or the screen.

2. Scratches on the camera would be bad. At least, on a mirror, it will affect less of the entire area.

3. More electronic stuff to go wrong. I'm more of a mechanical guy, so I could be biased.

4. Screens have to be anti glare / bright enough for the day, and not too bright at night.

So, for me, no.

whether we like it or not, these are the things to come in the near future

some car's dash are digital display to look like analog

tesla huge ipad like screen in the central console

products of yesteryears cannot be compared to products today because today's products are literally "designed to fail", make you buy new model, making repairs extremely expensive and etc

i resisted smartphone for as long as I can because i knew once i had it i would be suck into the never ending checking my phone

• Praise 4

I believe this is the future. Some day all cars will be similarly equipped. In this instance the monitor screens could be better integrated with dashboard or A-pillar.

The next car to have its wing mirrors replaced by a camera/monitor combo - please welcome the Audi e-tron, unveiled today and available for sale early 2019.

The screens are nicely integrated in the space between the dash and the door, in a natural line of sight. Good design.

post-2139-0-34689900-1537279425_thumb.png

I find turning head to the right to check for blind spot is rather dangerous as the front car might suddenly jam brake.

Hence, I attach a long rear view mirror with a small circular mirror to the bottom right.

This arrangement can capture a larger rear view for any fast and furious rear car speeding up to the right and the right side blind spot simultaneously.

When I change lane to the right, I will just see my large rear view mirror, small circular mirror and right side mirror, then signal and change without turning my head.

I have less strain on my neck and a safer lane change. This is not taught in driving school so it takes a while to adjust but it is a super fast way and safer to change lane.

Side mirrors are still the most reliable and do not take up precious space at the dash board.

If paired correctly using the configuration I describe above, mirrors offer a large technical and cost advantage over this electronic gadget.

I find turning head to the right to check for blind spot is rather dangerous as the front car might suddenly jam brake.

Hence, I attach a long rear view mirror with a small circular mirror to the bottom right.

This arrangement can capture a larger rear view for any fast and furious rear car speeding up to the right and the right side blind spot simultaneously.

When I change lane to the right, I will just see my large rear view mirror, small circular mirror and right side mirror, then signal and change without turning my head.

I have less strain on my neck and a safer lane change. This is not taught in driving school so it takes a while to adjust but it is a super fast way and safer to change lane.

Side mirrors are still the most reliable and do not take up precious space at the dash board.

If paired correctly using the configuration I describe above, mirrors offer a large technical and cost advantage over this electronic gadget.

Agreed to a large extent, but...

1) Some cars have bulky rear view mirror housings that don't permit the attachment of a long mirror.

2) Some cars have thick C pillars that still poses blind spots and motorcycles, bicycles and PMDs like to hide there.

IMO, turning the head as a final check is still a good practice.

In any case, its hard to stem the march of technological progress, whether we like it or not. Just take a look at the plethora of cams, laser and radar sensors we have on a modern car in order to enable AEB, radar cruise, auto parking, auto lane changing etc etc... 

↡ Advertisement