It's all good, "but sometimes“

Yewheng

This video talk about how great the Led traffic light as compared to the incandescent traffic light. But it's not perfect. And that's where the problem lies.

These led traffic light beat incandescent traffic light in almost every way except in very cold weather condition. Led traffic light bulb emits very little heat and during heavy snow and the outside temperature is extreme low, ice will form up on the traffic light and make it very difficult to see the light. This is not a problem with incandescent traffic light. This prompt news and many people living in cold countries to want to revert back to incandescent traffic light.

So this youtuber point out a very important fact and lesson that we could learn from this incident. He point it out as "but sometimes". When newer technologies come and have great benefits and beat older technologies in almost every way, when the only one aspect that the old technology win, people start to compare and blown things out of proportion. The blown out effect is such that it will say until the older technology is alot better then the newer technology whereas in actual fact it is the opposite.

This episode could also be a learning for everyone be it individuals or to companies at management level to even ministers who make decisions on policies to understand the danger of "but sometimes" issue. This is so that we could be very clear headed and take a stepback and look into the issue. The new invention vs the old one and look at the fact sheet, statistics and then reconationalize on the benefit vs the side effects instead of purely based on public perception and or feedback.

Edited by Yewheng
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Agreed, but before we change something to a new-tech, we have to be very sure not to miss the "but sometimes" case, though it may be just one disadvantage versus a multitude of advantages brought by the new-tech.

How not to miss anything, as far as possible? Go to the ground and talk to all levels of stakeholders.

• Praise 1

I want to hear how "but sometimes" applies to the conundrum of:

1) the exploding PMDs

2) si gi nas running wild on the road/pavement on their new found affordable freedom.

In cold countries, they can always put a heater there.

But then, there are always some people against new technologies, resistant to change.

1) the exploding PMDs

2) si gi nas running wild on the road/pavement on their new found affordable freedom.

1) already taken care of, soon, and it is self-limiting anyway, because no one would intentionally put their homes at risk once they are educated about the dangers.

2) needs strict and wide-ranging enforcement. So far I see that enforcement is still sporadic and selective. Si gi nas are racing in the parks and not a single enforcer in sight. Better still, park their PMD and smoke break in the park, where's NEA?

1) the exploding PMDs

3) over charging doc with 2 cars  :D  esp those with M2 . [lipsrsealed]  

• Praise 2

1) the exploding PMDs

1) Most PMDs don't explode. With education and regulation, I believe the danger will be minimised. You cannot ban PMD because "but sometimes" they explode. Like some cars catch fire you don't ban cars but seek to educate drivers.

2) Same principle. Enforcement is the key. Unless majority of the PMD users abuse it, it still falls under the "but sometimes".

The main things is taking all the problems together, are PMDs a net loss or gain to society. It is also wrong to look at each problem and label it under "but sometimes" because when you add it all up, it's not "but sometimes" but "actually it happens very often".

Edited by Philipkee
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1