Starhub to axe 300 staff!

Lala81

It's not unique to SG. Already happening in the US, China and to some extent even Japan (except they are more strict in piracy) but their rent is not even comparable to our gold standard.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/the-american-retail-apocalypse-in-photos-2017-3

Yes of course it's not just singapore. I am concerned for the world as a whole (although more concerned with singapore as we are very small and a "retail apocalypse" will not take long to affect the whole country). People keep talking about disruption as if its a good thing (funny cos the word itself has negative connotations) but for me it is definitely not.

Yesterday Newstead went under. A tech retailer killed by tech. Not sure if challenger will be next.

Edited by Kar_lover
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

The local selection slightly narrower than USA (just slightly)...nothing a good old VPN cannot resolve... :D

It is an internal rating system: G, PG, PG13, M18/NC16, R21.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20181008-230343_Chrome-picsay.jpg

you can set PIN to restrict the mature titles with adult themes or nudities such as the acclaimed Breaking Bad, Orange is the New Bad. As far as i can see, these titles are not censored any more than the original ones I torrented prior to having the Netflix.

Can't praise you yet. This is good to know.

By the way

Can anyone confirm that Starhub paying one month for one year of service?

Got limit or not?

Anyway Welcome to the Jobless Club

Happy to hear and know that there are so many more members joining.

Yeah

it seems like SOP for any newly appointed CEO to axe staff and bring up the P/L to looks good

else .... he would lose his job too ... [laugh]

post-7984-0-17862300-1539591985_thumb.png

Edited by Wt_know

it seems like SOP for any newly appointed CEO to axe staff and bring up the P/L to looks good

CEO always have P&L responsibility.

Since revenue can’t go up, have to cut cost to push for higher profits

• Praise 1

i would say ... revenue needs time to go up and non-guarantee

axe staff is easy ... 1 chop ... guarantee ... easy way out leh

fire old and then hire new ... same old same old leh

but i agree .... many laochio jiak liao bee type has to go

CEO always have P&L responsibility.
Since revenue can’t go up, have to cut cost to push for higher profits

Edited by Wt_know

i would say ... revenue needs time to go up and non-guarantee

axe staff is easy ... 1 chop ... guarantee ... easy way out leh

fire old and then hire new ... same old same old leh

but i agree .... many laochio jiak liao bee type has to go

If this axe is due to process improvement, it does not affect the Company.

If not, hoseyliao

If this axe is due to process improvement, it does not affect the Company.

If not, hoseyliao

maybe some new pank came in and want to show off ?  :D

• Praise 3

this idiom apply to angmoh also ... lol

新官上任三把火

maybe some new pank came in and want to show off ? :D

Edited by Wt_know

Yes of course it's not just singapore. I am concerned for the world as a whole (although more concerned with singapore as we are very small and a "retail apocalypse" will not take long to affect the whole country). People keep talking about disruption as if its a good thing (funny cos the word itself has negative connotations) but for me it is definitely not.

Yesterday Newstead went under. A tech retailer killed by tech. Not sure if challenger will be next.

Internet shopping, just like uber and Cloud computing, is one of the damaging disruptive technology to their respective industry in this morden world. Internet shopping is impacting retailers big time all over the world.

Just look at SEARS, one of the largest retailer in the US, more than 140 years of history, used to have more than U$13bil of business revenue, now filling for bankruptcy. Just recently Macy's also announced to close hundreds of outlets. Every year when I go to san fran, i will buy some stuff from Macy's Union Square. I hope they will still be there this year.

http://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/10/15/business/sears-bankruptcy/index.html

Edited by Ct3833

"It better be them then me.. " :D

Internet shopping, just like uber and Cloud computing, is one of the damaging disruptive technology to their respective industry in this morden world. Internet shopping is impacting retailers big time all over the world.

Just look at SEARS, one of the largest retailer in the US, more than 140 years of history, used to have more than U$13bil of business revenue, now filling for bankruptcy. Just recently Macy's also announced to close hundreds of outlets. Every year when I go to san fran, i will buy some stuff from Macy's Union Square. I hope they will still be there this year.

http://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/10/15/business/sears-bankruptcy/index.html

No, is not uber nor amazon nor lazada. Its these traditional companies refusing to keep up with the times and keep working using their old legacy ways.
  • Praise 1

if it aint broken, don't fix it

wait until file chapter 11 ... lol

No, is not uber nor amazon nor lazada. Its these traditional companies refusing to keep up with the times and keep working using their old legacy ways.

I am not rushing to fibre as I think cable will be here for a long time.

Cable is our strategic back up.

If terrorists hack our fibre network we still have cable as our back up.

:D

I am not rushing to fibre as I think cable will be here for a long time.

Cable is our strategic back up.

If terrorists hack our fibre network we still have cable as our back up.

:D

Actually.. that was copper.

Last time, your house phone no need power supply to call.

With fibre, you need power plus subscription.. if emergency, you are dead.

• Praise 1

Every time they build a new condo or some new mall, you will see ST come in one day to dig up an entire road, get done with their work,.. then the following week, you see SH come and dig up the same bloody road, get done with their work, .. then the following week, SP come,, then someone else, then ... the same road dig up and cover, dig up and cover, ... and one wonders why it cannot be coordinated which will save costs, time and inconvenience.

cause if it was coordinated... they cannot decide who pays for what? too much of a headache. easier to each do their own so that no blaming involved too. and anyway tax payers money... they don't give a crap...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1