Starhub to axe 300 staff!

Lala81

Will Netflix kill Mio next?

MIO tv might be no business soon, who still subscribe to MIO tv? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Their TV biz hit hard by those OTT and web streaming, broadband biz hit hard by the competitive pricing and ever faster speed, mobile biz hit hard by those free app calls and MVNOs, given this small SG market. Only earning is their corporate biz.

Their TV biz hit hard by those OTT and web streaming, broadband biz hit hard by the competitive pricing and ever faster speed, mobile biz hit hard by those free app calls and MVNOs, given this small SG market. Only earning is their corporate biz.

Dont know if their corporate biz can make much or not? Nowadays find those mobile corporate line not attractive at all.

Will Netflix kill Mio next?

If SH tv biz got hit so hard, i am sure MIO is just hanging on, difference is ST is loaded. MIO content is not even as rich as SH content. Netflix and those OTT will kill it off.

Dont know if their corporate biz can make much or not? Nowadays find those mobile corporate line not attractive at all.

Corporate mobile line is depending on how the tied up between the 2 coy mah. So not really is SH issue. Edited by Xers007
  • Praise 1

starhub axe staffs?

Why am I not surprise!!!

Old fashion business model, lousy products, boh chap corporate attitude from top down, zero customer service., no different from ah beng hand phone shop.

I am only surprise they manage to hang in there so long.... -_-[laugh][laugh]

Customer svc was terrible. Frontline staff ok, but ever tried calling in or even a simple matter as returning set-top box make it so inconvenient.
  • Praise 2

If SH tv biz got hit so hard, i am sure MIO is just hanging on, difference is ST is loaded. MIO content is not even as rich as SH content. Netflix and those OTT will kill it off.

Corporate mobile line is depending on how the tied up between the 2 coy mah. So not really is SH issue.

Not what SH could offer to corporate ah? Nowadays even my company has such mobile corporate line, i also not interested to switch. Lol.

I cant imagine what the garmen was thinking when they allowed another new Telco to come in. End up M! had to be taken over and re-invented and SH had to cut staff.

Like the last time when there was 2 TV stations... lots of pple lost their jobs when one of them closed.

aleady got 3 telcos leh!!! as if not competitive enough.

Wu liao.

Is the telco scene competitive? Not really. I been hanging on to my old phone plan with only 100 mb data because no attractive option and pricing. All options need at least around $40/mth. Too much for me. SIM only plan not an option too because I need to retain talktime. Give up. So I say not enough competition yet.

Customer svc was terrible. Frontline staff ok, but ever tried calling in or even a simple matter as returning set-top box make it so inconvenient.

Customer svc is terrible at all telco companies la. Actually terrible in all servicing line. Lol.

With so many disruptive technology, all these are a matter of time.

One by one: Oil & gas, transport, retail, logistic, telco, finance... 

These are times where those who got hit and living more conservatively are less stress, especially those in 40s and 50s. When younger, think only of upside upside and upside. Imagine if still got huge instalments to pay. Can live out next 10-20 years to wait for property upside or not?

Anyway, these are all own self choices.

No wonder i recontract SH tv plan.. Gimme Free 1Gig fibre!

They gave me the offer and on top pledged $10 off TV subscription. Also free 1Gbps, free ac router and etc. But no thank you, I am terminating my TV tmr..

Got online streaming. No cost, better and faster.. All the dramas, movies and etc online... No subscription.. Haha movies as new as along with the gods 2 the last 49 days and Ruyi drama, yanxi Palace..

Starhub gg liao.

Is the telco scene competitive? Not really. I been hanging on to my old phone plan with only 100 mb data because no attractive option and pricing. All options need at least around $40/mth. Too much for me. SIM only plan not an option too because I need to retain talktime. Give up. So I say not enough competition yet.

Got lah zero 1 loh.

starhub axe staffs? 

Why am I not surprise!!!

Old fashion business model, lousy products, boh chap corporate attitude from top down,  zero customer service., no different from ah beng hand phone shop. 

I am only surprise they manage to hang in there so long.... -_-  [laugh]  [laugh]

and they are not amongst the STIs now...their share price nosedived...i reli wonder how they are gg to revamp their business model...

• Praise 1

I cant imagine what the garmen was thinking when they allowed another new Telco to come in. End up M! had to be taken over and re-invented and SH had to cut staff.

Like the last time when there was 2 TV stations... lots of pple lost their jobs when one of them closed.

aleady got 3 telcos leh!!! as if not competitive enough.

Wu liao.

My friend in KL pays RM28 a month for his 3G plus voice plan.

Data will continue to grow, so many youngsters doing video calls and watching movies on the go. 2G used to be more than enough, now 5G also not enough for many, especially Gen Y. The higher data plans have been getting more and more expensive actually.

I think those who are axed were in the marketing dept. Those who get clients to do advertisement on their advertising platform. If I'm not wrong this is where their big money comes in. According to their website advertisement thru their TV, Web, Social, Direct and Mobile platforms. All these so called media companies like radio, tv etc largely depend on this type of marketing to survive. For example like on radio we often hear car brands doing advertisement and promotions. The marketing dept have to go to these car companies to solicit business.

The revenues coming from regular broadband, tv & mobile phone subscriptions are too competitive to make big money. Don't forget they have to lease the infrastructure, servers and facilities from the red umbrella corporation. The red umbrella corporation won't collapse wan. They laugh all the way to the bank just by collecting rent. More telco companies the merrier.

Those in the marketing industry will understand it's a stressful job. It's not surprising the most of the dept get axed. They are no longer relevant.

I think now very few companies will go the traditional way of advertising on tv or on their website or even emails. There are cheaper alternatives like social media platforms. I think this is what affecting them the most.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 5

My personal feel is that cost cutting via retrenchments is not the way to go.

Senior Management can take pay / allowance / bonus cuts, the monies there will go a long way to saving jobs. Besides, if company is not doing well, its because Senior Management did not steer the ship properly in their first place, not the fault of the crew.

• Praise 1

Data will continue to grow, so many youngsters doing video calls and watching movies on the go. 2G used to be more than enough, now 5G also not enough for many, especially Gen Y. The higher data plans have been getting more and more expensive actually.

Its all human greed for better faster easier. All can just take and post online with their high quality videos, stream youtube for an hour and 1GB of data is used. The change of retail scene also plays a big part, now so many things are transacted online, just sit at your sofa and your next meal will be at your doorstep.

and they are not amongst the STIs now...their share price nosedived...i reli wonder how they are gg to revamp their business model...

communication is their business, and it does not necessary means tele-communication only mah.  

Starhub was also first to provide digital entertainment, so digital entertainment is part of their business, but what have they done when competition caught up? NOTHING... -_-

Just like singpost, delivery is their business, and delivery of letters and selling of stamps is just part of delivery. Had singpost not gone into EMS and developed Vpost, it would have gone long along also.  But vpost probably brought them back to life.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

MIO tv might be no business soon, who still subscribe to MIO tv? 

Most friends who have MIO TV have mostly cancelled it.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2