When a border agent demands access to your digital device

Atrecord

when I was returning from MEL to SIN after a one week trip a few years ago, I was stopped after immigration and was asked to enter a glass chamber. After I exited the glass chamber, the "whoever" there asked me if I am willing to go through their checks.

I was like WTF ... can I really say NO ???

so they used some cotton bud and brushed the buds over my clothes and bags - inside also - then put the buds into a machine to analyze right in front of me.

then after the result they told me to proceed to the departure area.

I am guessing this is still part of their immigration controlled area.

This check is a swab for traces of explosives. That's why, those who go to firing range or handle explosives during vacation, better get receipts for potential inspections. Declare the contact with explosives before inspection.
↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

This check is a swab for traces of explosives. That's why, those who go to firing range or handle explosives during vacation, better get receipts for potential inspections. Declare the contact with explosives before inspection.

just like the video above ...

i was travelling with my mom, my sis and my father who was in a wheelchair accompanied by the terminal staff ....

after they went through, i was "asked" to do the tests.

live firing during reservist!

I know one person here surely frightened. our dear altis bros. i am sure there some of his contribution to Jason thread do stored in his phone.!

Edited by Kopites

Customs officers at ANZ are more reasonable compare to US. That my personal observation having travel to Australia and NZ frequently.

This is rather old news. At border crossings, you have little to no rights.

If you're really paranoid about your data privacy, use encryption. But encryption alone is no good, because border agents can legally compel you to reveal your passwords and detain and/or repatriate you for non-compliance. What you need is a modern software suite that's capable of both encryption/decryption and steganography.

Steganography is, simply put, hiding stuff in plain sight. I don't know how many of you played with invisible inks in your childhood, but that's the basic concept. Digital steganography has been used to hide data within images, videos and text/hex dump containers.

I used to use a very good cryptographic plus steganographic tool called TrueCrypt some years back. This was open source software and free versions were available for Windows and Mac OS X. I used the Mac version when I was toting my iBook around. The strength here is that you can use two passwords - a real one and a dummy one. If customs forces you, you can safely reveal the dummy password, which will decrypt only the HDD partitions that you want them to see. The real stuff will remain hidden inside anonymous containers. Only the real password will unlock this container. It is impossible to tell that a nested password approach is being used, so it is secure.

This will not withstand the scrutiny of a proper forensic analysis because large files with gibberish stand out when you do more than a cursory examination of the drive. There are methods to embed them in video files (a method to hide steganographic data in Quicktime .mov files is available online) but - realistically - they will know.

A forensic analysis like this will take at least a few hours with your data. Not an issue if they're retaining your device (not subtle) or cloning your drive in seconds (subtle).

But even if they realise there is steganographically hidden data in there, they can't realistically decrypt it unless you've been really stupid in choosing your passphrase. Strong encryption must be paired with strong passwords. There are numerous accounts of failed governmental attempts to break TrueCrypt encrypted data (which have been encrypted with strong passphrases).

That basically leaves them with the option of "rubber hose cryptanalysis". Which basically means they take you into a private room and tenderise your nether regions with a rubber hose until passwords start falling out of your mouth like manna from heaven. If you're going to a country where this might be a legitimate approach - well, don't. Or just resign yourself to having your stuff probed and poked.

By the way, I don't agree with sentiments like "if got nothing to hide, why scared?". That's really bullsh*t. Personal rights have to be jealously (and zealously) guarded. If we don't, it's a slippery slope. Why are we uncomfortable with giving ordinary human beings - fellow citizens - unlimited powers when they don a uniform or brandish an ID card? Would you let a policeman stop your wife in the street and strip search her "just because"? Nothing to hide, right?

As a final word on this, TrueCrypt seems to have been discontinued some years back - but there are forks like VeraCrypt which work the same way (allegedly; I haven't tried them out).

Getting off the topic of securing one's data during border crossings, I have grown increasingly leery of international travel of late. And there are some places I hate going to. Australia being one of them. Almost every time I go there, I get harassed. Bloody convict-descended kangaroo-f**kers just can't keep their mitts off me.

In contrast, New Zealand has never posed an issue - Kiwis seems to be gentlemen (and ladies) all the way.

(The last trip I undertook to NZ was by way of Australia, and that seemed to work out better. I was going to Queenstown for the BMW M Alpine drive and I transited through Sydney. I expected the worst, but it was surprisingly civil. I don't want to speculate too much, but most of the customs agents seem to have been replaced by ethnic Indians (Hindus and Sikhs, from the look of them) and it was a very pleasant experience. Not at all like the goddamn nightmare that it used to be when it was all white crossing agents. Just saying.)

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

when I was returning from MEL to SIN after a one week trip a few years ago, I was stopped after immigration and was asked to enter a glass chamber. After I exited the glass chamber, the "whoever" there asked me if I am willing to go through their checks.

I was like WTF ... can I really say NO ???

so they used some cotton bud and brushed the buds over my clothes and bags - inside also - then put the buds into a machine to analyze right in front of me.

then after the result they told me to proceed to the departure area.

I am guessing this is still part of their immigration controlled area.

That explosive detection test. They wanna check if there are traces of gunpowder or explosive material on your body.

Twincharged

That explosive detection test. They wanna check if there are traces of gunpowder or explosive material on your body.

some mentioned also ...

well, now you all know why i don't have friends.