Malaysia to ban smoking at all restaurants, hawker stalls

ChaosMyth

common understanding is e ciggie is banned throughout breathing space in singapore. So not only in makan places. Those arab street smoking apparatus aka shisah are also banned after decades of air contamination.

if that is what you meant.

Not just that. E-ciggy like iQOS also banned.

By the way, I met someone who smoke IQOS. No smoke at all.

↡ Advertisement

when I was in USA, their smoking zone makes more common sense and not some half past six effort like in Singapore/China :

5-Best-US-Airport-Smoking-Lounge-For-Smo

At least all the smokers can share each other's second-hand smoke....if feeling poor, can just go into these enclosed areas for free smokes.... :D

Yeah, drawing box and designating space without enclosure is dumb. When I worked in a jap company previously they had smoking lounge as well. Want to look for the boss to get his hanko stamp of approval, high chance find him there. Even hold informal meeting inside. When young that time still can withstand all that 2nd hand smoke.

Yeah, drawing box and designating space without enclosure is dumb. When I worked in a jap company previously they had smoking lounge as well. Want to look for the boss to get his hanko stamp of approval, high chance find him there. Even hold informal meeting inside. When young that time still can withstand all that 2nd hand smoke.

Probably can suggest this to the authorities.

So many empty retail spaces in many shopping centers in Singapore.

Might as well turn into this and make good use of the space.  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Probably can suggest this to the authorities.

So many empty retail spaces in many shopping centers in Singapore.

Might as well turn into this and make good use of the space.  [laugh]

and charge entrance fees (since smokers can go in enjoy 2nd hand smoke.)

perhaps start with same rate as HDB car park rate. And sell season pass too

Twincharged

SHAH ALAM: Malaysian police are searching for a man after he slapped a waiter who tried to stop him from smoking in a Shah Alam restaurant. 

The 25-year-old waiter, an Indian national, had approached three men after he saw them smoking inside Ameer Corner restaurant, said Shah Alam police chief Baharudin Mat Taib on Thursday (Jan 3).

"They were told politely told to stop smoking, but one of the men immediately slapped the waiter on the face," said Baharudin. 

The incident happened around 12.30pm on Tuesday, the first day of a smoking ban at all food establishments.

“We had placed no smoking signs, but some customers were still smoking,” the waiter, M Selvam, was quoted as saying by The Star.

“I went over to politely tell a group of three men to stop smoking, but one of them got up and slapped me.”

The group subsequently left the restaurant after making payment. 

The waiter, who did not suffer any serious injuries, reported the incident to the restaurant owner who later lodged a police report. 

According to the Malay Mail, police have CCTV footage of the incident, as well as testimony from witnesses. 

Baharudin, the police chief said: “There were also two other workers and five patrons at the time of the incident. The waiter also claimed that the suspect was a non-regular at the restaurant.” 

Later that day, Selvam was scolded by another customer when he tried to point out the smoking ban. “I don’t know why people can’t just follow the rules and behave like this,” he was quoted as saying by The Star.

Under the new rules, anyone found guilty of smoking in banned areas can be fined up to RM10,000 (US$2,450) or jailed up to two years.

Owners of food establishments who fail to display no-smoking signs can be fined up to RM3,000 or jailed up to one year. 

As of Wednesday, the government has issued over 1,400 warning letters for contravening the regulations.

However, the Malaysian Health Ministry will give offenders a grace period of six months to comply with the ban, during which it would educate and warn restaurant owners and smokers.

We are getting behind Malaysia - smoking still allowed in coffee shops and no enforcement in many places where smoking is not allowed.

In malaysia, the authorities just sub-con the enforcement job to the coffeshops, warungs, and mamak restaurants. Any breach, the business owners get fined. Their workers face the brunt of enforcing the rules on uncooperative patrons, without having any authority at all.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

China also banned indoor smoking but everywhere people still smoke, albeit more discreetly. [laugh]

30 million in MY also hard to handle liow ..... can forget about 1.4 billion population.

if auth gets too heavy handed, then the rights group will have more work to do liow.

i am guessing if it were a "local" there who told the smokers off, then it might have ended in a different way.

I think North Bridge road food centre is the only hawker centre left that can smoke inside.

North bridge food centre? Where it is ah?

SHAH ALAM: Malaysian police are searching for a man after he slapped a waiter who tried to stop him from smoking in a Shah Alam restaurant. 

The 25-year-old waiter, an Indian national, had approached three men after he saw them smoking inside Ameer Corner restaurant, said Shah Alam police chief Baharudin Mat Taib on Thursday (Jan 3).

"They were told politely told to stop smoking, but one of the men immediately slapped the waiter on the face," said Baharudin. 

The incident happened around 12.30pm on Tuesday, the first day of a smoking ban at all food establishments.

“We had placed no smoking signs, but some customers were still smoking,” the waiter, M Selvam, was quoted as saying by The Star.

“I went over to politely tell a group of three men to stop smoking, but one of them got up and slapped me.”

The group subsequently left the restaurant after making payment. 

The waiter, who did not suffer any serious injuries, reported the incident to the restaurant owner who later lodged a police report. 

According to the Malay Mail, police have CCTV footage of the incident, as well as testimony from witnesses. 

Baharudin, the police chief said: “There were also two other workers and five patrons at the time of the incident. The waiter also claimed that the suspect was a non-regular at the restaurant.” 

Later that day, Selvam was scolded by another customer when he tried to point out the smoking ban. “I don’t know why people can’t just follow the rules and behave like this,” he was quoted as saying by The Star.

Under the new rules, anyone found guilty of smoking in banned areas can be fined up to RM10,000 (US$2,450) or jailed up to two years.

Owners of food establishments who fail to display no-smoking signs can be fined up to RM3,000 or jailed up to one year. 

As of Wednesday, the government has issued over 1,400 warning letters for contravening the regulations.

However, the Malaysian Health Ministry will give offenders a grace period of six months to comply with the ban, during which it would educate and warn restaurant owners and smokers.

The authorities must show the rakyat that the staff who enforce the law are fully protected from such abusers. 

I think North Bridge road food centre is the only hawker centre left that can smoke inside.

Yuhua Village HC and Bukit Timah 7 mile HC also can de....

• Praise 2

Want to ban, ban all like MY doing now.

Down here the stupid idea of smoking in yellow boxes is plain stupid as if the fumes can't travel out of the box.

Half axx idea better don't implement. Makes one look stupid.

Ok. Rant over. Xiexie

• Praise 1

Want to ban, ban all like MY doing now.

Down here the stupid idea of smoking in yellow boxes is plain stupid as if the fumes can't travel out of the box.

Half axx idea better don't implement. Makes one look stupid.

Ok. Rant over. Xiexie

here is mainly to find way suck ur money.  :D  Different objective 

• Praise 1

If.as authority you are afraid of everything, nothing gets done. Is smoking bad for health and does 2nd smoke affect others? If yes, then ban it. No compromise with 10% outdoor  or private room with dedicated exhaust system.

Once you flip flop like roti prata, it shows there is always room for appeal. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1