Fibre TV and termination point

Rollagt

Twincharged

I bought a whole roll of belden cat 6 cable from Sim Lim tower, asked the electrician who was doing my whole place electrical works to lay it along side my power cables when they are installing the electrical points. No extra charge. 

I bought the wall rj45 jack plates and termination/crimping tools and the cat 6 plugs, I did my own termination, crimping of each points. Learnt it from Internet from scratch..  :D

By end of the renovation, I still have 1/3 of the whole roll of belden cables, just use them to make the many customised length patch cables from my switch to the patch panel. 

Did not have to buy any cat 6 cables for a very long time. .  :D

thks ! will take note. [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement

Took some pictures of my 7-8yr old setup:

One of the double rj45 wall jack plates connected with lan cables. 

post-24957-0-37581000-1539784981_thumb.jpg

My switch and the patch panel from which all the lan cables from the rest of the house terminates. 

post-24957-0-00819000-1539784993_thumb.jpg

Hope this can give you some idea on what a LAN connected apartment entails.  [;)]

thks ! will take note. [thumbsup]

• Praise 2

Twincharged

Took some pictures of my 7-8yr old setup:

One of the double rj45 wall jack plates connected with lan cables.

20181017_214557-picsay.jpg

My switch and the patch panel from which all the lan cables from the rest of the house terminates.

20181017_214624-picsay.jpg

Hope this can give you some idea on what a LAN connected apartment entails. [;)]

Wah.... You even hid the switch in the wall?!

Need to seek fellow MCFers view on this.

I read that Starhub will be terminating the cable TV and migrate to fibre TV in a few years time and in order for fibreTV to work, the TV set and supporting hardwares had to be connected to the termination point (OpenNet) via cables.

If my termination point is located at the main door area, does it mean I have to engage technician to relocate the termination point to my living room with drilling thru walls and ugly trunking ?

Is it possible for FibreTV to work via WIFI ?

Just install everything near the tv in the living room. The junction box, the gateway, the wireless router, the network switch(optional). It's going to be ugly whether you like it or not.

The optical fibre cable will come in from outside your apartment from the common telcom door to the junction box. So will your neighbours'. All will branch out from the common telcom door and into their apartments.

Junction box will have an "in" and "out". "in" will be the optical cable from outside and "out" is the optical cable going to the gateway. From gateway there will be LAN cable connecting to your wireless router and TV setup box, if you have more dan one setup box you will need a network switch (if you are running LAN cables around your apartment).

It make sense you try to put everything on your tv console in your living room and try to hide the wires.

My cable TV contract ending 19 Oct 18. No one from SH calls me yet. [:|]

No one gonna contact u.  That's the reality.

I continue to pay $39 for 300mb after contracts end.

Boh pian i am working overseas then.

Edited by Davidtch

Just install everything near the tv in the living room. The junction box, the gateway, the wireless router, the network switch(optional). It's going to be ugly whether you like it or not.

The optical fibre cable will come in from outside your apartment from the common telcom door to the junction box. So will your neighbours'. All will branch out from the common telcom door and into their apartments.

Junction box will have an "in" and "out". "in" will be the optical cable from outside and "out" is the optical cable going to the gateway. From gateway there will be LAN cable connecting to your wireless router and TV setup box, if you have more dan one setup box you will need a network switch (if you are running LAN cables around your apartment).

It make sense you try to put everything on your tv console in your living room and try to hide the wires.

Agreed on the ugly part. I got a shock when I saw the messy cables on the console and the fugly trunkings that ran under my Lightboxes...

I've received sms from SH about recontract to fibre TV with broadband thrown in.

I do watch their programmes & with cable tv ending in 1-2 yrs, will likely take up their offer bf it expire. Their message as below

<Promo> StarHub: We're happy to present an exclusive deal just for you. Re-contract to Fibre TV service to enjoy FREE 1Gbps Fibre Broadband for 24 months and $10 off Fibre TV at the same time, even if you are still in contract. What's more! Enjoy FREE 6-month set-top box rental! Plus, We're giving you a high-performance Linksys Max-Stream router worth $329! Visit any StarHub shop, call 1630, SMS TV3b <SPACE> NRIC/FIN to (e.g. TV3b S1234567A to 90240001) before 1 December 2018 and we will contact you within 24 hours. Or visit www.starhub.com/iptvbb with Promo Code TV3b to sign up. T&Cs apply. Stop Promo, reply UNSUB.

• Praise 5

No lah, the switch is on a shelf above the patch panel section that was set out abit from the wall. 

Wah.... You even hid the switch in the wall?!

Im using the freeee 1gig SH fibre.. But the true speed.. Downstream is abit lousy.. Very bad when i do speedtest

Hope any bros here on the freeee 1gig can do a test also n verify. Tksss

I believe those who get free fiber from SH were starhub tv user but not broadband, hence they throw in that since you need fiber to stream starhub tv.

• Praise 2

Im using the freeee 1gig SH fibre.. But the true speed.. Downstream is abit lousy.. Very bad when i do speedtest

As we had told you previously, do ethernet lan test to determine the speed.

I have no problem achieving 1gbps using ethernet.

For wifi, the best i could get is 500mbps.

A lot of time, it boils down to router and device used.

• Praise 1

Quite astute observation. I agree.

What happens if the customer say he insist on using his M1 fibre Internet and subscribe to SH Fibre TV? 

I believe those who get free fiber from SH were starhub tv user but not broadband, hence they throw in that since you need fiber to stream starhub tv.

Quite astute observation. I agree.

What happens if the customer say he insist on using his M1 fibre Internet and subscribe to SH Fibre TV?

give free dun want? mean no wifi router from SH, just connect from M1 modem to the tv box.

my inlaw place have both singtel tv and starhub tv in the house, never subscribe to any broadband, starhub gave them 300mbps broadband free, Singtel never offer [laugh]

I think you call in complain bah

Cannot be less than 100 one

I go Bukit Merah view hawker center Jiak also can get 180 down, 100 up from the Govt wifi

I think you call in complain bah

Cannot be less than 100 one

I go Bukit Merah view hawker center Jiak also can get 180 down, 100 up from the Govt wifi

The call center will ask him, sir, use Ethernet to run Speedtest.

What’s the speed now?

The call center will ask him, sir, use Ethernet to run Speedtest.

Whatâs the speed now?

ð

I think he don’t have ethernet port one

I think he don’t have ethernet port one

I used to my 2010 MacBook white to do Speedtest using Ethernet.

900+ mbps le.

Nowadays got those all in one dongle le

post-16870-0-61135800-1539825800_thumb.png

• Praise 1