Fibre TV and termination point

Rollagt

Need to seek fellow MCFers view on this.

I read that Starhub will be terminating the cable TV and migrate to fibre TV in a few years time and in order for fibreTV to work, the TV set and supporting hardwares had to be connected to the termination point (OpenNet) via cables.

If my termination point is located at the main door area, does it mean I have to engage technician to relocate the termination point to my living room with drilling thru walls and ugly trunking ?

Is it possible for FibreTV to work via WIFI ?

Late reply but the termination point, don't touch. Just either run Lan cable with ports to the desired area.

If pure wireless, just put your wireless router there and you can set it up as a bridge or alternatively put a wireless repeater in the central part of your home. (the latter will halve your bandwidth).

I bought a whole roll of belden cat 6 cable from Sim Lim tower, asked the electrician who was doing my whole place electrical works to lay it along side my power cables when they are installing the electrical points. No extra charge. 

I bought the wall rj45 jack plates and termination/crimping tools and the cat 6 plugs, I did my own termination, crimping of each points. Learnt it from Internet from scratch..  :D

By end of the renovation, I still have 1/3 of the whole roll of belden cables, just use them to make the many customised length patch cables from my switch to the patch panel. 

Did not have to buy any cat 6 cables for a very long time. .  :D

probably won't need lan cables for the rest of your life lah. haha

How’s the powerline plug performs against a more powerful router?

I ask this is because I’m procrastinating to get this for each room as the wifi at home generally good till my girl watched YT on her OPPO hp, it seems to suck up most of the bandwidth...

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement

Late reply but the termination point, don't touch. Just either run Lan cable with ports to the desired area.

If pure wireless, just put your wireless router there and you can set it up as a bridge or alternatively put a wireless repeater in the central part of your home. (the latter will halve your bandwidth).

probably won't need lan cables for the rest of your life lah. haha

powerline plug depends on your home electrical circuit quality.

Varies, can be up to 200mbps the last i checked. Quite ok for just normal surfing/streaming

200 good for HD prawning or not? I asked on Mustank behalf.

You have false ceiling? Can run it via that way cleaner look

We put a draw cable above our false ceiling as a 'just in case'.

Not sure it will work when we come to put in fibre as some of the radii are quite tight.

Is there a minimum radius for a fibre cable?

Twincharged

The call center will ask him, sir, use Ethernet to run Speedtest.

Whatâs the speed now?

ð

I also use wired connection at home for my PCs ... The Wi-Fi is for my phones only.

200 good for HD prawning or not? I asked on Mustank behalf. ð

The electrician who came recently for a fix commented my wires were of good quality. Didnât tell him thatâs because a distant relative whom is a electrical contractor got his men to do my whole house...only if Iâve known Vratenza earlier about his future proofing...

I also wanna know :grin:

Normal HD streaming doesn't require much. a good solid 30mbps is good enough.

But honestly with modern AC routers and the appropriate use of a lan cable under trunking here and there. even a landed property can be adequately covered bah.

Hehehe

My one is 150

No wonder so smooth :XD:

Twincharged

I also wanna know :grin:

Hehehe

My one is 150

No wonder so smooth :XD:

Remember to add some extra bandwidth for going through bypass proxy servers....Hehehe..

Just end the TV subscription. WIth smart TV, why still need to subscribe to TV box? 1 tv remote to control all. Got Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, Toggle and next year Disney launching it's own streaming app. TV boxes should long been phased out.

The thing is my parents are staying with me, and they like those Chinese classic movies in the 60s and 70s. Those Netflix etc are mainly angmo related channels.

The thing is my parents are staying with me, and they like those Chinese classic movies in the 60s and 70s. Those Netflix etc are mainly angmo related channels.

haha.

Celestial Movies (天映频道) for them then. Stick to SH.

Get those android boxes with TVB or Chinese movie apps... spoiled for choice but some need constant update to refresh for latest movies or subscription. Edited by mersaylee
  • Praise 1

if you need another tv box in the room, you need to lay the LAN cable to the room and rent another box from starhub.

I am not rushing to fibre as I think cable will be here for a long time.

Cable is our strategic back up.

If terrorists hack our fibre network we still have cable as our back up.

:D

I am not rushing to fibre as I think cable will be here for a long time.

Cable is our strategic back up.

If terrorists hack our fibre network we still have cable as our back up.

:D

Just for your info, starhub cable going to cease somewhere end 2019 or early 2020 (based on hear say). That's why most ppl unable to recontract their cable TV since late last year. All force to change to fiber TV instead.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1