Confidentiality of HR records

Solar

I have seen job application forms which has a clause asking the applicant if the potential hirer can contact the previous employer to find out more about the applicant.

So if the applicant tick yes (which they usually do) then should not be considered as demand liow lor.

Previous is ok and is common.
↡ Advertisement

A lot of companies complaint cannot get good staff.

Do they ever wonder why?

It could be the hiring process they treat every prospective employee as if they are a criminal with a lot to hide.

The interview is always like an interrogation. If a resume smells fishy I wouldn't even bother to ask the person to come for an interview.

Not only waste his precious time but more importantly waste my precious time.

One of my previous company interviewed 40 ladies for pa to MD. Made them sit at the free desk next to me and write some imaginary letter.

After 40 poor ladies came using annual leave fake MC etc company decide no budget for a pa and never hired one.

:D

• Praise 2

If they check with current employer, don't think that is right. It will destroy the career prospect of the applicant if an offer and acceptance does not materialize.

Usually should only check with company which you have already left the job. Dont think they would reference check with the company if you are still employ with them la.

• Praise 1

To add on burning bridges, your immediate supervisor and his boss can be contacted as well so not only HR. In fact, they are the most likely to be asked for reference checks so good point on not burning bridges.

I know it’s tempting to tell off bosses who have not been supportive and in some cases where they have been unjust, bully etc but we have lots to lose as they can bad mouth us in a reference check so unfair as it may sound, best to bite your tongue and just go amicably.

i got my ex-boss to write a marvellous testimonial....  then i burned his bridge...  must treat weasels the way they are meant to be treated.. 

Edited by SuPerBoRed
  • Praise 1

i got my ex-boss to write a marvellous testimonial....  then i burned his bridge...  must treat weasels the way they are meant to be treated.. 

Why you burned his bridge le?

Does a HR of another company have the rights to request for the HR records of an ex employee, in terms of

1. Salary and job details

2. Performance ratings and other information?

NO

i got my ex-boss to write a marvellous testimonial.... then i burned his bridge... must treat weasels the way they are meant to be treated..

Smart of u but even with written testimonial, some companies still call up your ex boss to answer some generic questions which they prepared in a template so he can speak ill of u so I still feel best not burn bridges. Maybe I’m kiasu

• Praise 2

my new company simply asked me for the latest payslip which i consent to.

is this normal or am i dumb?

It is common and normal. Cause new company scare you anyhow state your previous salary ma.

• Praise 1

Smart of u but even with written testimonial, some companies still call up your ex boss to answer some generic questions which they prepared in a template so he can speak ill of u so I still feel best not burn bridges. Maybe I’m kiasu

• Praise 1

I always give a very good testimonial when people call me.

I always think people need a job to feed their family.

A few months later if they call up to complain why the staff so bad.

I pretend to be surprised and say wah I cannot believed he has changed so much.

Maybe their style of management?

:D

With PDPA, I doubt many would want to try and kepo. General feedback on factual things like length of employment and confirmation of duties maybe.

Reference checks are just what it means, do you really want to beileve what they say? A high performance guy may not perform you another environment and the other way around. There are many factors and it is still about if you got the right tool ofr that job.

With PDPA, I doubt many would want to try and kepo. General feedback on factual things like length of employment and confirmation of duties maybe.

Reference checks are just what it means, do you really want to beileve what they say? A high performance guy may not perform you another environment and the other way around. There are many factors and it is still about if you got the right tool ofr that job.

Many people would believe on reference checks de. I saw before one hiring manager called up for reference checks, and that company said the person an average performance worker, ended up that hiring manager did not consider that candidate liao.

↡ Advertisement