Best Selling Cars of 2019

therock

So what will it be for 2019?

The effervescent Elantra

The boring, reliability Corolla?

Or will there be a new winner? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I hope it will be the new Peugeot 5008 or the new Citroen grand c4 spacetourer.  [:p]

OKOK, I know I am dreaming, but me beginning to love french.  ^_^  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

The effervescent Elantra

toyota prius alpha hybrid!! 

The effervescent Elantra

Most likely Honda Vezel. they are everywhere...

I hope it will be the new Peugeot 5008 or the new Citroen grand c4 spacetourer. [:p]

OKOK, I know I am dreaming, but me beginning to love french. ^_^[laugh][laugh]

French is good in producing cap, not car. Haha.

Supersonic

I hope it will be the new Peugeot 5008 or the new Citroen grand c4 spacetourer. [:p]

OKOK, I know I am dreaming, but me beginning to love french. ^_^[laugh][laugh]

U mean your company gave u extra days of leave this year?

Best selling brand seems to be Honda follow by Toyota, I dont think KM is selling that many cars, and Vezel from PIs is over the hill, I am wondering what Honda models are so sellable by PIs in 2019?

• Praise 1

26 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Best selling brand seems to be Honda follow by Toyota, I dont think KM is selling that many cars, and Vezel from PIs is over the hill, I am wondering what Honda models are so sellable by PIs in 2019?

At the end of the day.. I guess our fellow drivers prefer to pay more for reliable yet less featured cars and don't mind paying more for these brands.. 

And the opinions expressed in MCF hardly represent the average motorist.. 😉

• Haha! 2

The top 10 best-selling car brands cornered 66.4 per cent of a shrunken market last year, down from 70.5 per cent in 2018 as competition increased.

The list had mostly familiar contenders, led by Toyota, Honda, Mercedes-Benz, Hyundai and BMW, with Audi replacing Subaru on the honour roll.

While the top 10 ranking excludes parallel imports, their market shares took all new car registrations into consideration.

On the whole, the car market contracted by 9.9 per cent.

This was because of fewer certificates of entitlement (COEs) released during the year, which in turn was caused by fewer vehicles taken off the road in the period.

Nanyang Business School Adjunct Associate Professor Zafar Momin said that excluding parallel imports avoids double counting, as parallel imports were first registered in another market before being brought here.

But he said total numbers - including parallel imports, whose combined share grew to 20 per cent from 14 per cent in 2018 - is "relevant for local market share analysis".

Prof Momin, previously an automotive expert with Boston Consulting Group, said the bestsellers' list was consistent with their dominance globally.

Toyota, Honda and Mercedes-Benz "will continue to hog the top five list" in the coming years, even if brands such as Hyundai and BMW had been "displaced in the past by challengers like Mazda and Nissan".

Mazda's success, he noted, has been contributed by popular models, such as the Mazda 3 and CX-5, while Nissan's has been fuelled by the Qashqai.

He also noted that brands in the bestsellers' list "tend to play musical chairs in any particular year - depending on the models and promotions available in that year".

Looking ahead, Prof Momin said South Korea's Kia is capable of entering the top five list "as it has shown a steady rise over the past five years towards the top tier".

"To be in the top five list, a brand has to sell more than 5,000 units at a minimum based on our car market size," Prof Momin said. "It should be the aspirational threshold if a brand aspires to be in the top five list.

image.thumb.png.11b3b442b1b8a69b4dbedd305b811153.png

• Praise 1

(edited)

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/rebound-in-sales-of-parallel-imported-cars

Parallel imported cars rebounded in sales last year as dealers found ways to meet more stringent emission standards.

In all, 14,419 new parallel imported cars were registered last year, up from 11,357 in 2018.

As a category, these cars made up 20 per cent of all new cars registered last year, up from 14 per cent in 2018, according to figures obtained from the Land Transport Authority.

Their share of new car sales was 20 per cent in 2017, and around 24 per cent in 2016.

Parallel importers source cars from overseas dealers instead of directly from car manufacturers. They typically offer models which are either not available from authorised agents or at lower prices.

In 2018, these importers bore the brunt of newly introduced emission standards spelt out in the Vehicular Emissions Scheme (VES), which required several tailpipe pollutants to be measured to determine whether a car qualifies for a tax rebate or attracts a surcharge.

The pollutants include particulate matter - a fine soot which is a health hazard - which is not a required declaration in Japan. Since most parallel imports here are from Japan, importers had to find alternative ways to test their cars for emissions of particulate matter.

Mr Neo Nam Heng, adviser to the Automotive Importers and Exporters Association, said there are now four independent laboratories in Japan which can test for this pollutant. It also took time for importers to arrive at the most favourable readings, as the VES, which started in January 2018, allowed for repeated testing.

Mr Neo said: "Some of our cars were tested six to seven times."

image.thumb.png.228986215dd2855d6f72caf21594a782.png

Edited by therock

The choice of PI cars is not surprising..

People who take a risk with the PI will either choose a car which has less issues and breakdowns, or has higher savings or both.

So the continued presence of the top three indicates that

- their ADs have a larger margin making imports worth it

- their cars give less issues or are easier to fix

- spares can be found or workshops have enough volume to go and learn the know how to fix them

Food for thought...

↡ Advertisement