DIY punctured tyre

Hamburger

Coming back home last night the car tyre monitoring system indicated a leak in front R tyre. Checked it out upon reaching home and indeed discovered a nail.

1. Extracted the nail out with an orange pliers.

2. Plug in a round file to smoothen and enlarge the hole.

3. Standby the sticky worm inserted into the needle eyes.

4. Insert into the hole with some force, with about 3/4 way in and pulled it out quickly.

5. Spray some water or bubbled one to check for leak.

I pumped up the tyre a bit with a portable inflatable pump and drove to a petrol kiosk to fully inflate the tyres and do a reset on the tyre monitoring system.

Do note that I am on RFT and hence could drive back home. Non RFT tyre should find a safe place to stop immediately and proceed to mend the tyre.

Lucky me it was the front tyre, might need to take it off if it was at the rear which would restrict the hand movements.

Fun, yes,

Satisfaction, oh yes.

post-25943-0-45713100-1555649074_thumb.jpg

post-25943-0-27872200-1555649094_thumb.jpg

post-25943-0-37173300-1555649111_thumb.jpg

post-25943-0-60185900-1555649130_thumb.jpg

post-25943-0-07853900-1555649159_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 24

I also have one set at home, with 10 pieces of plug.  do note that over time the plug can also loosen n leak air slightly, but can easily be pulled out with plers or just insert another plug, like using 2 fingers to stir coffee.

• Praise 2

Supersonic

Some additional pointers:

1. You can use a jack and lift up the affected wheel, then spin the tyre by hand to find that screw. No need to remove the whole wheel. However be careful the car jack can move, slip and crushed you, if you're underneath it. Most people would recommend putting it on a jack stand instead, if you have one handy.

2. You should also have a wheel choke handy to prevent the car from moving, while you're working on the tyre.

3. If you find the tyre flat, don't attempt to fix it on the road, and definitely not on an expressway. It's best to have a battery-powered inflator, inflate the tyre as much as you can, then limp off to a safe place, like a car park to fix the tyre.

4. You can trim the worm at the end.

5. You can also add contact cement on the worm if you like.

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 4

Well done! Am thinking of keeping a set in my car.

Now I think can just page you!

Service only available in east side. Hahahhaha

Coming back home last night the car tyre monitoring system indicated a leak in front R tyre. Checked it out upon reaching home and indeed discovered a nail.

4. Insert into the hole with some force, with about 3/4 way in and pulled it out quickly.

I pumped up the tyre a bit with a portable inflatable pump and drove to a petrol kiosk to fully inflate the tyres and do a reset on the tyre monitoring system.

Do note that I am on RFT and hence could drive back home. Non RFT tyre should find a safe place to stop immediately and proceed to mend the tyre.

Lucky me it was the front tyre, might need to take it off if it was at the rear which would restrict the hand movements.

Fun, yes,

Satisfaction, oh yes.

I had a patch like this done some time ago on my front left tire. My only concern is whether this type of patch preserves the speed rating of the tires. Dun want to have a blowout when doing high speed on NSHW for example. 

Edited by Ceecookie

I had a patch like this done some time ago on my front left tire. My only concern is whether this type of patch preserves the speed rating of the tires. Dun want to have a blowout when doing high speed on NSHW for example.

It's suppose to be a temporary measure, an internal patch would be a better option.

Anyway tried before on highway driving before, so far safe for now.

• Praise 1

Well done! Am thinking of keeping a set in my car.

Now I think can just page you!

No need to think. I’ll keep one set in my car and page for Hamburger...

• Praise 1

No need to think. I’ll keep one set in my car and page for Hamburger...

At your service. Below is my contact:

call our McDelivery hotline at 6777 3777

It's suppose to be a temporary measure, an internal patch would be a better option.

If I didn't see this thread, I also forgot my front tyre was fixed using worm before. Still driving at 140kmh, seems to be fine.

You’ll come in a car with this decal one hor?

Yes yes, comes with free 6pcs nuggets.

If I didn't see this thread, I also forgot my front tyre was fixed using worm before. Still driving at 140kmh, seems to be fine.

Sop for me to bring a tyre repair kit and a portable air pump on a north bound road trip.

It will save a lot of trouble.

This is the cheapo cina made air pump I used. It must be at least 15 yrs since I bought it.

Still working apparently.

post-25943-0-50297200-1555664614_thumb.jpg

Pml said runflats can't repair but Munich said ok but contact surface not sidewall or nearby

Which is fake news bro?

• Praise 1

Those in air suspension, do not jack just one wheel, this can screw up the suspension.

But alas we only have a jack....

Twincharged

Haha I used to have those worms. But got lazy over the years and also now prefer an internal patch . Did it only 2-3times in the past 20years. Other times I managed to discover the puncture early and pumped enough air to last to the shop to get it mended via internal patch.

Would recommend to everyone to carry an air pump and just inflate it enough to get you to the shop to get it repaired via internal patch. Most punctures are not catastrophic where all the air leaks out. But rather a nail or screw where the leak is slow. So just an air pump is more than enough.

The toughest worm I had to do was on a back tire and the hole was at an angle and not straight in. Took some effort lying on the ground. Lots of Kpkb in the end hahha.

Edited by Mkl22

Fun, yes,

Satisfaction, oh yes.

Wow, Should standby a set of repair kits! Where did you get it from?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1