Engine Oil Filter Heat Sink - Can DIY ?

Andrewkb

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and so far have been very much excited by all the cool technical discussion threads by you guys! :)

Like to learn what's the practical use of installing the heatsink onto oil filter and cooling it down? I've heard that engine and its lubricating oil needs a certain optimum temp to operate at its best. If we cool the oil down too much, will it decrease performance instead?

Regards

If we cool the oil down too much, will it decrease performance instead?

Here in Singapore, we do a lot of start stop traffic and with the added fact that humidity is higher, the oil in the Auto Tranny will runs hotter than those in other countries nod.gifnod.gifnod.gif

So, if the added power increase over stock engine, like adding in piggy back ECU..etc... (in the case of Modeldriver's Stream), it's better to add a AFT Oil cooler to prolong the life span of the Auto Tranny sly.gifsly.gifsly.gif

Neutral Newbie

I think I saw it was going for S$10 the last time I was there but can't confirm on it. But it fits only certain filter size only.

Neutral Newbie

I thought someone mentioned he saw at McWell for $50 ? For $10 .. I think quite worth it... will check with them then ..

Hope the fin is long enough to provide cooling effect....

Neutral Newbie

I remembered I saw a S$10 price tag on it. But as it din fit my oil filter cos it's too small for my filter, I passed on it.

more then 10 years later. Anyone tried this? Seems turbo cars are hot. oil filter heat sink may help cool things down.

VW car has a heatsink of some sort. It's the oil cooler.

Oil flows passed the filter media into this cooler with fins.

Coolant is piped around the fins and return to cooling system.

The problem is the interface of oil vs coolant, inside the oil cooler.

When the interface leaks or breaks, engine oil is send to the cooling system.

Then the cooling system stopped working and engine overheat.

If you want to diy oil filter heatsink, you'd probably need to put a fan to blow at the heatsink.

It's safer than running the cooling system through it.

• Praise 2

Check this out guys ... it's sold in Japan.

Simple concept, just mount in onto your oil filter and it's blade will help cool the oil filter down. Just a simple heat sink concept.

Maybe a few CPU heatsink mount together also can ;-)

Himalayan Salt Lamps:

Himalayan Salt Lamps is the best lamp . This is very modern lamp in our modern civilization.There are many kinds of lamp that looks very beautiful.To know more please visit this link:

http://www.jpost.com/PromoContent/5-Amazing-Himalayan-Salt-Lamps-You-Can-Buy-Right-Now-441101

VW car has a heatsink of some sort. It's the oil cooler.

Oil flows passed the filter media into this cooler with fins.

Coolant is piped around the fins and return to cooling system.

The problem is the interface of oil vs coolant, inside the oil cooler.

When the interface leaks or breaks, engine oil is send to the cooling system.

Then the cooling system stopped working and engine overheat.

If you want to diy oil filter heatsink, you'd probably need to put a fan to blow at the heatsink.

It's safer than running the cooling system through it.

Looking at ease of drawing heat away from the engine.

Was thinking along the lines of taking a laser printer toner thats used. Dismantle the long strip of magnet. Take cable tie and tie it to the bottom of the engine oil pan.

I imagine it will draw heat away. But worried I magnetize the piston fillings that is worn off and somehow make things worst off .

Would the oil filter trap all the metal that is worn off the piston or am I over "worried" of the effects

?

Looking at ease of drawing heat away from the engine.

Was thinking along the lines of taking a laser printer toner thats used. Dismantle the long strip of magnet. Take cable tie and tie it to the bottom of the engine oil pan.

I imagine it will draw heat away. But worried I magnetize the piston fillings that is worn off and somehow make things worst off .

Would the oil filter trap all the metal that is worn off the piston or am I over "worried" of the effects

?

There are commercially available products with magnet to trap ferrous material at oil filter and also oil drain plug.

Oil drain plug is ok, when you removed it, any filings can just wiped off the tip.

Oil filter have to be careful, that it's replaced before the magnet is removed. Otherwise, all the trapped filings could flow back into the engine.

Then again, some people say they don't find any magnetic filings at the oil drain plug.

The engine has many other types of metallic alloys that's not ferrous, not able to be picked up by magnet.

If you put something below the oil pan, you have to be careful, it doesn't hit something near the ground while you're driving.