Aircon Repair, Cooling Coil Leak

TopGear

Neutral Newbie

U can pump in gas but its obvious there is a leak somewhere n u r just wasting yr money.

If u go Markcool, only see Ah Huat cos now ty hv many new workers n I get feedback that some r quite lousy. I hv been using Markcool for abt 15 yrs already n always only deal with Ah Huat n hv never been disappointed yet.

Hi bro Pisces69,

Since you have been using their service for so long and actively in this forum, can you advise what will be the estimated cost for my case? Either repairing the leaked hose or replacing cooling coil. I am driving a 2008 Mazda 3.

So that I will not be kena carrot when I get quote from other workshop.

↡ Advertisement

Hi bro Pisces69,

Since you have been using their service for so long and actively in this forum, can you advise what will be the estimated cost for my case? Either repairing the leaked hose or replacing cooling coil. I am driving a 2008 Mazda 3.

So that I will not be kena carrot when I get quote from other workshop.

U just go Markcool n see Ah Huat. He can quote u immediately. He dun anyhow quote since I go there from day 1.

No obligation. U dun wan to do or wan to think about it also he no problem. But so far I find his work always Spot On n no need to keep going back to fix this or fix that.

Otherwise u think I wil stay with him fr so long.

Hi guys,

I need some comments from bros here.

2 days ago I found that my car air-con is blowing hot air instead of cold air so decided to send for workshop for diagnosis. The mech inspected and told me that there is no gas inside and found out there's leakage at the hose (oil stain spotted on the hose).

He suggested 1) replace a new hose which cost about ~400 bucks and 2) repair the existing hose by doing welding which cost ~140 bucks. Both labour charge inclusive.

So, for me I'll be going to take up option 2), but is the price reasonable and acceptable?

Just for the hose sound expensive. But again also depends what car u are driving. When u mention hose for $400 do u mean the entire cooling coil as well? THe other thing I was told about moden cars is that due to trying to be compact, shorter bonnet/less overhang......just to gain acesss to the cool coil, requires removal of many many screws. MO is that the welding should be way less than 140. Its the labour to gain access & remove the coil that kills.

Imagine if weld once 140. Kana 3 times over 3 yrs ?!! Imagine leaving the car there, down time, inconveniece, take half day leave, the low morale.....etc.

In my case, when I changed my coil, I clocked 98k, & car near full 8 yrs old. 3 mths prior to changing coil, was not cold. Top up gas, lasted for about 1.5-2 mths b4 turning hot again. (very small leak?) Then, I top gas again, ......lasted 4-5 days. Thats when I blew $500 to change entire cooling coil w the associated parts. Had to leave the car at workshop friday evening for the mech to OT at night and ready for collection, SAT after lunch about 130pm.

Neutral Newbie

Went to Mark Cool today and Ah Huat quoted me $80 for replacing leaked hose, gas top up and labour charge.

Thank you bro pisces69 for nice recommendation! Save me from being carrot by some workshop.

Just changed my ac coil at markool, damage $850.

WOW!!!

Thats quite a lot. What car u driving?

Went to Mark Cool today and Ah Huat quoted me $80 for replacing leaked hose, gas top up and labour charge.

Thank you bro pisces69 for nice recommendation! Save me from being carrot by some workshop.

No prob. Thats why we r here. To help each other.

I also when new almost kenna many times by AC shop n WS.

Most r crooks n sud b shot in the @ss. [thumbsdown]

WOW!!!

Thats quite a lot. What car u driving?

No prob. Thats why we r here. To help each other.

I also when new almost kenna many times by AC shop n WS.

Most r crooks n sud b shot in the @ss. [thumbsdown]

Must be Mercedes la.

Must be Mercedes la.

You would be surprised, it's just a Peugeot partner.

Well at least the coil is brand new..*consolation* the labour charge is high as they have a lot of work removing and putting back.

In case anyone think I am being carrot by markool, well that's not the case.

Have sent numerous rides there for a/c repair since they started biz at their woodlands factory.

I would not say they are the cheapest around but they are able to solve my ac problem and definitely not a crook ws. : )

Edited by Ryosuke

Well at least the coil is brand new..*consolation* the labour charge is high as they have a lot of work removing and putting back.

Have sent numerous rides there for a/c repair since they started biz at their woodlands factory.

I would not say they are the cheapest around but they are able to solve my ac problem and definitely not a crook ws. : )

My Caddy van change evaporator coil at a ws in Kaki Bukit Autobay for less than $300.

I guess it's a lot easier to remove than Partner.

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 1

Which model Citroen is it?

But I know Ah Huat at markcool dun cheat pple. But I do know Contis hv higher labour charges cos of their design.

And yes. Markcool is not the cheapest but ty know their work n I am willing to pay a bit more for a job well done. [thumbsup]

Which model Citroen is it?

But I know Ah Huat at markcool dun cheat pple. But I do know Contis hv higher labour charges cos of their design.

And yes. Markcool is not the cheapest but ty know their work n I am willing to pay a bit more for a job well done. [thumbsup]

Peugeot Partner in Citroen guise should be Berlingo.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

Peugeot Partner in Citroen guise should be Berlingo.

Oh his is the van. I tot was a car.

Van also so ex to repair. [sweatdrop]

But thats one reason why pple stay away from Conti vehicles. Sky High maintenance n repair costs.

OK since u so smart, I give u 5 Praise points. Hahaha.

Edited by Pisces69

Oh his is the van. I tot was a car.

Van also so ex to repair. [sweatdrop]

But thats one reason why pple stay away from Conti vehicles. Sky High maintenance n repair costs.

OK since u so smart, I give u 5 Praise points. Hahaha.

Hi,

My aircon seems to have this "krroooo" sound. However, its still cold. Only the irritating sound. Its not loud but bothering me. Anyone knows the problem?

Actually, this "krroooo" sound came after sending my car for servicing recently. Before that, the aircon has no sound.

Anyway, I called up a aircon shop and asked for a quote on aircon servicing, but he told me if I never change/service on my aircon before, there is no need to service and just change aircon filter?

Edited by Divers
  • Praise 1

Hi,

My aircon seems to have this "krroooo" sound. However, its still cold. Only the irritating sound. Its not loud but bothering me. Anyone knows the problem?

Actually, this "krroooo" sound came after sending my car for servicing recently. Before that, the aircon has no sound.

Anyway, I called up a aircon shop and asked for a quote on aircon servicing, but he told me if I never change/service on my aircon before, there is no need to service and just change aircon filter?

most will ask u no spoil dont repair.. even my regular ws said the same time.

i actually went over to mark cool due to "additional noise", it turn out compressor issue.. it also mess up another component, end up changing 2 items.. but just half a day of job, no complaint..

are car owner really have to keep listening to the unusual noise. may just be the start of new component failing..

• Praise 1

most will ask u no spoil dont repair.. even my regular ws said the same time.

i actually went over to mark cool due to "additional noise", it turn out compressor issue.. it also mess up another component, end up changing 2 items.. but just half a day of job, no complaint..

are car owner really have to keep listening to the unusual noise. may just be the start of new component failing..

Wah, like that quite danger. All we want is smooth sailing. Now don't whether ask WS to check problem or live with it.

I am afraid after checking will have more problems and they start asking you to change items.

I have never serviced the aircon in my Volvo in 5 years other than change the charcoal air filter..... nor the aircon in my house! It is still as colc as day one.

Aircon is just like fridge - no need to touch it unless some components break down.

• Praise 1

I have never serviced the aircon in my Volvo in 5 years other than change the charcoal air filter..... nor the aircon in my house! It is still as colc as day one.

Aircon is just like fridge - no need to touch it unless some components break down.

I also dun service AC unless its spoilt.

House n car same.

↡ Advertisement