Aircon Repair, Cooling Coil Leak

TopGear

Get the AC fan located at the radiator checked. It cud b faulty. Thats why when yr car is not moving, there is no air blowing to cool the AC gas. When yr car moves n there is air flowing, the AC gets cold again.

I just saw yr post. U cant clean the AC filter. Its disposable type.

I just changed my AC filter at Markcool yesterday. Cost $25 but that includes Ah Huat to check that my AC is working fine.

He also dun recommend the crarcoal filter cos he says the airflow is reduced n the charcoal removing smells dun last long.

i see. thanks, so to reap the benefits of charcoal = change more often = $ [sweatdrop]

I use 2 pieces of filter. Should be $25 for both if I recall correctly.

↡ Advertisement

i see. thanks, so to reap the benefits of charcoal = change more often = $ [sweatdrop]

I use 2 pieces of filter. Should be $25 for both if I recall correctly.

He dun recommend the charcoal filter cos it reduces the airflow n the removal of smells only work for a short time.

I just did my regular AC service DIY. I spray Dettol disenfectant into the AC intake at the passenger footwell to remove mold/fungus growing on the cooling coil. Then I put a new AC filter n it sud last at least a year or more even.

How come yr car use 2 filters? So far I only know cars use 1 pc.

He dun recommend the charcoal filter cos it reduces the airflow n the removal of smells only work for a short time.

I just did my regular AC service DIY. I spray Dettol disenfectant into the AC intake at the passenger footwell to remove mold/fungus growing on the cooling coil. Then I put a new AC filter n it sud last at least a year or more even.

Getz a/c filter is 2-piece. No big deal about it, it's just easier to slot in with 2 smaller pieces, rather than 1 big piece.

I don't recommend charcoal filter as well.

It covers up any smell.

If you have a "smelly" problem, fix the problem, not the smell.

And the problem is always bacteria and mold/fungus growth.

A bleach will kill them and all the smell.

Get oxygen bleach like Kao colour bleach. It's safer.

No need expensive "aircon treatment"

• Praise 1

Come to think of it, hope its $25 per piece for getz. Else $50 per change really sucks.

Getz a/c filter is 2-piece. No big deal about it, it's just easier to slot in with 2 smaller pieces, rather than 1 big piece.

I don't recommend charcoal filter as well.

It covers up any smell.

If you have a "smelly" problem, fix the problem, not the smell.

And the problem is always bacteria and mold/fungus growth.

A bleach will kill them and all the smell.

Get oxygen bleach like Kao colour bleach. It's safer.

No need expensive "aircon treatment"

But how do u apply the Kao bleach to the ac cooling coil?

Come to think of it, hope its $25 per piece for getz. Else $50 per change really sucks.

No lah. Cant b so ex.

U can actually get a normal AC filter for only abt $10 ea.

I pay $25 to Ah Huat cos he also give my ac a through check n the labour to change the filter for me. Hee.

Otherwise I just buy the $10 AC filter myself n DIY change.

But how do u apply the Kao bleach to the ac cooling coil?

Put it in a spray bottle and spray onto the cooling coil, after removing the filters.

It's about $25 for a set of 2 pcs.

Bleach is extremely effective in cleaning aircon.

I use it to clean home a/c cooling coil as well.

Previously, the discharge hose would clogged up, and water backed up and overflow.

Then I found out, it's due to algae growth, the slime inside the pipe had blocked the water flow.

After using bleach on the coil, no more such problem.

I used to use normal chlorine bleach, but now found oxygen bleach is much better.

It has no "chlorine" smell and is very safe. Found Kao colour bleach is oxygen bleach. Make sure not to get the wrong one.

http://cleanmyspace.com/what-is-oxygen-bleach-oxy-clean/

Put it in a spray bottle and spray onto the cooling coil, after removing the filters.

So its similar to those Lysol/Dettol spray in a can then. 1 can only abt $5 n its more than enough for 1 use. Maybe can even go for 2 times even.

I just did my regular DIY with Dettol spray. I think easier then having to pump the spray.

I do it abt once a year as regular maintenence. Same as greasing door hinges n locks n apply Armourall to all rubber door strips.

Bleach is extremely effective in cleaning aircon.

I use it to clean home a/c cooling coil as well.

Previously, the discharge hose would clogged up, and water backed up and overflow.

Then I found out, it's due to algae growth, the slime inside the pipe had blocked the water flow.

After using bleach on the coil, no more such problem.

I used to use normal chlorine bleach, but now found oxygen bleach is much better.

It has no "chlorine" smell and is very safe. Found Kao colour bleach is oxygen bleach. Make sure not to get the wrong one.

http://cleanmyspace.com/what-is-oxygen-bleach-oxy-clean/

Oh OK. Now I know what u r toking abt. I use this to add to my laundry washing powder for added cleansing.

So its similar to those Lysol/Dettol spray in a can then. 1 can only abt $5 n its more than enough for 1 use. Maybe can even go for 2 times even.

I just did my regular DIY with Dettol spray. I think easier then having to pump the spray.

I do it abt once a year as regular maintenence. Same as greasing door hinges n locks n apply Armourall to all rubber door strips.

Lysol/Dettol can be used also, those that contains ethanol which kills bacteria.

But I prefer oxygen bleach now. It's completely safe, doesn't contains alcohol or VOC.

Use a hand pressure sprayer for convenience, you can find them at hardware stores.

Fill with the liquid, pump up the pressure and press the handle when you're aimed at the correct spot.

Lysol/Dettol can be used also, those that contains ethanol which kills bacteria.

But I prefer oxygen bleach now. It's completely safe, doesn't contains alcohol or VOC.

Use a hand pressure sprayer for convenience, you can find them at hardware stores.

Fill with the liquid, pump up the pressure and press the handle when you're aimed at the correct spot.

Ya its certainly worth a try. [sunny]

Oh OK. Now I know what u r toking abt. I use this to add to my laundry washing powder for added cleansing.

It's very effective. Use it to clean your oily tiles and cookers as well.

You'll be amazed how it dissolve the grime away.

It's very effective. Use it to clean your oily tiles and cookers as well.

You'll be amazed how it dissolve the grime away.

Ya might give it a try next time.

So far we only use it for laundry cos thats what it says on the container. Hahaha.

Thanks for the input, that means should be something like $25 fpr 2 pieces & i suppose add $15 for labour = $40 ?

Will bear in mind the kao color bleach/dettol part. Maybe I will prepare my solution & bring to them next round.

Aircon gas leaking? - No, bcuz you did get cool air

Aircon thermostat faulty? - Possible, but unlikely

Aircon dryer faulty? - Possible, but unlikely

Aircon compressor faulty?- No, bcuz you did get cool air

The hot gas is trying to cool off at the radiator before it gets compressed again at the compressor.

Without car moving, there's not much cool air passing through the radiator.

So yeah, check the fan is turning on and off.

It could be the fan or stuck magnetic clutch, maybe even the switch/relay.

Hi Pisces & Kb, thanks for your replies. My car only has 1 fan to cater for both aircon and engine radiator.

Yesterday I was stuck in a shopping ctr carpark for 5-10mins and the aircon stopped working again. Once I managed to get a parking lot, I checked the fan by switching off aircon which made fan stopped spinning. Once I switch on aircon the fan starts spinning immediately but no aircon compressor 'tock' sound and aircon was still not working.

Not sure if this has any reference but I have a Scanguage that shows my water-temp and the temp never heats above 97C cos thats when the ECU tells the fan to spin when it hits 96C to cool down the engine radiator. So I guess this means that the fan is working properly?

What else could be the problem? I just spoke to a mechanic friend who does general repairs but not an aircon expert and he told me could be the dryer "stuck/jam" due to wear & tear over the yrs. Or aircon thermostat faulty causing the aircon to stop working when it heats up.

Ya might give it a try next time.

So far we only use it for laundry cos thats what it says on the container. Hahaha.

The household "cleaning" industry doesn't really want us to know the chemicals behind their product.

Kao sell you colour bleach, small letters says oxygen bleach, active ingredient is sodium percarbonate. But they want everyone to know their product only as colour bleach - safe for coloured laundry. Not to be used for anything else, even though you can.

I looked at Magic Toilet Cleaner, active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite and sodium hydroxide -> for cleaning toilet.

I looked at NTUC Bleach, active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite -> for bleaching and laundry.

Hey, they are both the same chemicals, more or less, with different brand names for "different" purposes.

But you're really only buying the same chemicals not their brands or names, and they don't want you to know that. [rolleyes]

The household "cleaning" industry doesn't really want us to know the chemicals behind their product.

Kao sell you colour bleach, small letters says oxygen bleach, active ingredient is sodium percarbonate. But they want everyone to know their product only as colour bleach - safe for coloured laundry. Not to be used for anything else, even though you can.

I looked at Magic Toilet Cleaner, active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite and sodium hydroxide -> for cleaning toilet.

I looked at NTUC Bleach, active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite -> for bleaching and laundry.

Hey, they are both the same chemicals, more or less, with different brand names for "different" purposes.

But you're really only buying the same chemicals not their brands or names, and they don't want you to know that. [rolleyes]

Yes most industries, ty dun wan to teach u smart. Like that how can ty earn more money. [sly]

↡ Advertisement