Hyundai Sante Fe

Owen_fan

To provide a key summary of the pros and cons of buying a petrol vs diesel variant of the Santa Fe:

Annual Road Tax

SF Petrol Variant: $1,634

SF Diesel Variant: $2,326

Difference: $692

On a monthly basis, a diesel variant will incur $58 in additional road tax.

Fuel Price (gross):

Shell 95: $1.89 per litre

Diesel: $1.11 per litre

Hence, the price of a full tank (64 litre) for the two variants would be:

SF Petrol Variant: $121

SF Diesel Variant: $70

On a monthly basis, driving a diesel variant will save you $51 in petrol expenses.

Correspondingly, you will be worse off driving a diesel variant if you just pump full tank just once a month.  Based on a conservative mileage of 10km/litre, this translates into driving the diesel SF just 640km in a month.

However, if you drive the SF frequently and refuel twice a month, you will save S$102 in petrol expenses each month which far outweighs the added road tax paid.

As a caveat, the above is just a quick behind the envelop calculation.  Based on what I've gathered on the web, there are other additional costs such as 'emission filters' which are required to be changed at certain intervals. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Now is the waiting for COE to drop part before committing to one.

Actually there are many subtle differences between Sorento and SF. Few examples are the ventilated seats, standard 4WD and smart auto tail gate between the 2 models. Komoco SE verified for the auto stop during traffic lights, once it's switched on, no need to on again while Sorento need to manually press everytime. There's also the blind spot beeper on the SF which is a plus. And SF don't have the auto start stop engine to save efficiency. Did anyone did a close comparison on the 2 models and share? I find it hard to really decide which will be the one for me. Of coz pricing is still the main factor.

Hi all,

Am looking at santa fe and sorento too, both diesel. Have test drive both and did my own comparison. I'm more towards santa fe as this is my practical dream car since its 2.7 era, but sorento is equally good at this staget. My wife prefer sorento drive and internal but ok if i choose sante fe. Below are my opinions :

Santa Fe Diesel vs Sorento Diesel

1) Like both inside and outside more but ok with sorento (afraid i get the feeling of regret if purchase sorento and always think of sante fe look) 

2) Beep sound for Blind spot detector (no sound for sorento)

3) Santa fe wing mirror have the puddle lamp but sorento nope (not the deal breaker)

4) Comes will side step but not sure sorento have aftermarket kind or not

5) Only heated seat but sorento have both vent and heat

6) Do not have 2nd row sun shade but sorento have (my kids will love them)

7) Santa fe is shorter thus smaller 3rd row but i'm ok with it (sorento is bigger)

8) Santa fe wow factor is lesser when seeing the car for the first time compared to sorento (this feeling is still true when comparing both)

9) Sante fe have spare tire but sorento have tyre repair kit

10) Wife like sorento 3rd air con vent compared to santa fe but not deal breaker to her.

With the above, how would you choose? Hoping COE will drop to 30k to 40k range and compare both price. Komoco pricing is fix be it loan or not but C&C need to take loan, insurance and trade-in car to get its price down comparable to santa fe!

I have some questions regarding diesel car, Hope you guys can enlighten me.

1) Hearsay maintenance of diesel vs petrol is higher but i check with my workshop, they said almost the same. Other than lub oil and oil filter a) What the the things to change?

b) Any particular filter?

c) Does both sante fe and sorento have in the first place?)

d) what the range we are looking at? (my present avante 10k servicing is $85.00++)

2) I check the net and found the both car in europe, the servicing cycle is 12k, Australia is 15k and our is 10k!

a) So why the difference?

b) Is it our environment cos they are same car.

c) If using same lub as petrol car, am thinking to stretch them too.

Hope owners of both cars could help answering them. Thanks a lot. 

Cheers

Hi all,

Am looking at santa fe and sorento too, both diesel. Have test drive both and did my own comparison. I'm more towards santa fe as this is my practical dream car since its 2.7 era, but sorento is equally good at this staget. My wife prefer sorento drive and internal but ok if i choose sante fe. Below are my opinions :

Santa Fe Diesel vs Sorento Diesel SX

1) Like both inside and outside more but ok with sorento (afraid i get the feeling of regret if purchase sorento and always think of sante fe look) 

2) Beep sound for Blind spot detector (no sound for sorento) Not just sound, there is a flashing symbol in both side mirrors. Sorento do not have BSD.

3) Santa fe wing mirror have the puddle lamp but sorento nope (not the deal breaker)

4) Comes will side step but not sure sorento have aftermarket kind or not

5) Only heated seat but sorento have both vent and heat

6) Do not have 2nd row sun shade but sorento have (my kids will love them)

7) Santa fe is shorter thus smaller 3rd row but i'm ok with it (sorento is bigger)

8) Santa fe wow factor is lesser when seeing the car for the first time compared to sorento (this feeling is still true when comparing both)

9) Sante fe have spare tire but sorento have tyre repair kit

10) Wife like sorento 3rd air con vent compared to santa fe but not deal breaker to her.

11) Top up 5K for 4WD and wait 3 months for Sorento.

With the above, how would you choose? Hoping COE will drop to 30k to 40k range and compare both price. Komoco pricing is fix be it loan or not but C&C need to take loan, insurance and trade-in car to get its price down comparable to santa fe! 

I have some questions regarding diesel car, Hope you guys can enlighten me.

1) Hearsay maintenance of diesel vs petrol is higher but i check with my workshop, they said almost the same. Other than lub oil and oil filter a) What the the things to change?

b) Any particular filter? YES

c) Does both sante fe and sorento have in the first place?) YES you need that to pass Euro V

d) what the range we are looking at? (my present avante 10k servicing is $85.00++)

2) I check the net and found the both car in europe, the servicing cycle is 12k, Australia is 15k and our is 10k!

a) So why the difference? Difference is all determined by the local AD based on their experience over the years. But higher equatorial heat and humidity with our higher ratio of city to highway driving contributes to the need for more frequent servicing.

b) Is it our environment cos they are same car. Probably, see above.

c) If using same lub as petrol car, am thinking to stretch them too. Why save on such an item in the overall scheme of things when you are already paying 150K for a car?

Hope owners of both cars could help answering them. Thanks a lot. 

Cheers

Now is the waiting for COE to drop part before committing to one.

Actually there are many subtle differences between Sorento and SF. Few examples are the ventilated seats, standard 4WD and smart auto tail gate between the 2 models. Komoco SE verified for the auto stop during traffic lights, once it's switched on, no need to on again while Sorento need to manually press everytime. There's also the blind spot beeper on the SF which is a plus. And SF don't have the auto start stop engine to save efficiency. Did anyone did a close comparison on the 2 models and share? I find it hard to really decide which will be the one for me. Of coz pricing is still the main factor.

Verify with Komoco SE the auto start stop is for the diesel or petrol version. IIRC, only the diesel has auto start stop.

Might be the same situation with Sorento.

Must say pricing wise, SF makes the most sense if the little extra space at the last row, the ventilated seats, the retractable sunshade, the looks of the sorento do not matter much to you.

• Praise 1

Verify with Komoco SE the auto start stop is for the diesel or petrol version. IIRC, only the diesel has auto start stop.

Might be the same situation with Sorento.

Must say pricing wise, SF makes the most sense if the little extra space at the last row, the ventilated seats, the retractable sunshade, the looks of the sorento do not matter much to you.

She confirmed it's the diesel version that have the auto start stop after I test drove it. Was slightly disappointed SF doesn't have engine auto off to save efficiency and going green.

SF side windows on passenger and 3rd rows slightly different and may be claustrophobic for some.

Must admit SF drive is much enjoyable though. Got difference due to the 4WD drive train

She confirmed it's the diesel version that have the auto start stop after I test drove it. Was slightly disappointed SF doesn't have engine auto off to save efficiency and going green.

SF side windows on passenger and 3rd rows slightly different and may be claustrophobic for some.

Must admit SF drive is much enjoyable though. Got difference due to the 4WD drive train

Seem like you are only interested in the 2.4 petrol.

Just to let you know that SF petrol incurs a 15K CEVS surcharge while Sorento incurs a 10K surcharge.

the rear quarter window design is definitely smaller but somehow I feel is mitigated slightly with the hybrid moon-sunroof.

Thanks for answering.

Sorento Diesel SX do have BSD and the indicator, only no beeping sound.

Santa Fe Diesel have start stop and both santa fe and sorento have the option of disable/enable them.

you are right on the servicing part but not solely for the purpose of saving the money but just wonder the difference in servicing cycle as i have tried it on my previous car (petrol). In term of engineering, the extension of 5000 km do not really affect the integrity of the engine construct as per say so it is not as issue. Unless the lub was not replaced for many many mileage clocked till the property of the lub oil no longer protect the engine.

So other than the particular filter that is different from petrol, i would say the cost of servicing is almost the same as petrol.

Is there other authorized workshop other than AD for both santa fe and sorento? I was planning to go for a location that is near my place and AD cost is definitely higher.  

Thanks for answering.

Santa Fe Diesel have start stop and both santa fe and sorento have the option of disable/enable them.

you are right on the servicing part but not solely for the purpose of saving the money but just wonder the difference in servicing cycle as i have tried it on my previous car (petrol). In term of engineering, the extension of 5000 km do not really affect the integrity of the engine construct as per say so it is not as issue. Unless the lub was not replaced for many many mileage clocked till the property of the lub oil no longer protect the engine.

So other than the particular filter that is different from petrol, i would say the cost of servicing is almost the same as petrol.

Is there other authorized workshop other than AD for both santa fe and sorento? I was planning to go for a location that is near my place and AD cost is definitely higher.  

oh Sorento have BSD? good to know although I did not notice it during my test drive. The central HU's tiny size is so small that it is distracting...if you get what I mean.

Anyway if you want to keep your warranty intact for 5 yrs, better to keep to AD recommended schedule. There are no authorized workshop other than the AD's own.

Beyond that 5yrs warranty you can do whatever you wish I guess.

Seem like you are only interested in the 2.4 petrol.

Just to let you know that SF petrol incurs a 15K CEVS surcharge while Sorento incurs a 10K surcharge.

the rear quarter window design is definitely smaller but somehow I feel is mitigated slightly with the hybrid moon-sunroof.

No. I'm only interested in the 2.2 diesel. From what I checked out last week, SF diesel don't have engine auto start stop in traffic light situation,only Sorento have it.

I'm comparing both Sorento and SF 2.2 diesel variants.

No. I'm only interested in the 2.2 diesel. From what I checked out last week, SF diesel don't have engine auto start stop in traffic light situation,only Sorento have it.

I'm comparing both Sorento and SF 2.2 diesel variants.

Good news for you!

SF diesel has engine start stop. I just test drove the SF diesel for 2nd time yesterday.

[grin]

The web site say Sorento has BSD but last visit to showroom says no BSD.

Yes Sir. Sorento do have BSD and can be activate on/off. i also commented to the SE why no beeping sound to alert driver cos under bright sunlight, cant see the wing mirror indicator.

From the cataloge:

1) Sorento have the self-leveling for rear suspension when loaded with heavy item but dont think sante fe have.

2) Sorento have tailgate memory function, no mention on santa fe

3) Sorento leather seat are factory fitted due to vent function but santa fe are local fitted

But

1) Santa fe cataloge mentioned Adaptive front lighting system. Have? Sorento have?

2) Cooling Glove box but sorento nil

3) Checked with SE that Santa fe have tire pressure monitoring but i never see anything on the dashboard

4) Santa fe have 1 more airbag (7 vs 6)

Above are my observations

Yes Sir. Sorento do have BSD and can be activate on/off. i also commented to the SE why no beeping sound to alert driver cos under bright sunlight, cant see the wing mirror indicator.

From the cataloge:

1) Sorento have the self-leveling for rear suspension when loaded with heavy item but dont think sante fe have.

3) Sorento leather seat are factory fitted due to vent function but santa fe are local fitted

But

1) Santa fe cataloge mentioned Adaptive front lighting system. Have? Sorento have?

3) Checked with SE that Santa fe have tire pressure monitoring but i never see anything on the dashboard

From the cataloge:

But

From the cataloge:

But

From the cataloge:

But

From the cataloge:

But

From the cataloge:

But

Don't trust the catalogues. They are international catalogues. A lot of stuff not found on our cars. I found out today when I got hold of the specs sheet and did a thorough check through the Sonata, both the sunroof and non-sunroof models. Pretty disappointing that their own specs sheets aren't accurate.

yes, catalogues are misleading. the catalogue for sorento printed mar 2015 indicated that sorento has BSD. the catalogues printed in Jan 2016 omits this feature.

sorento 2016 in spore does not come with BSD. 

What! That mean the sorento diesel I test drive last 2 week is the 2015 version at Ubi! I ask the SE the button to confirm BSD same with Santa Fe or not. WTH.

↡ Advertisement