Peugeot Forum

Phalanx

I went down to test drive the 308 gti on Sunday. I am impressed with the speed at which the RPM climbs. A gentle prod and my RPM is in the 4-5k range. Nice. Power delivery is quite linear but according to my test drive passenger at the back; pretty scary. [laugh] My issue is with the gearshifter's long throws and slightly hollow feel. No satisfying clunk from inserting the gears in. Clutch is light. Didn't get to try the handling or steering feel though.

List price is 135888. Can knock off a further upfront 5k discount or 700 installment subsidy for 10 months (amounting to an eventual 7k off). Seems like a pretty good deal considering that the OMV is estimated at 26k and this is with guaranteed COE.

Will I buy it? Yes, if I could afford it. [laugh]

I went down to test drive the 308 gti on Sunday. I am impressed with the speed at which the RPM climbs. A gentle prod and my RPM is in the 4-5k range. Nice. Power delivery is quite linear but according to my test drive passenger at the back; pretty scary. [laugh] My issue is with the gearshifter's long throws and slightly hollow feel. No satisfying clunk from inserting the gears in. Clutch is light. Didn't get to try the handling or steering feel though.

List price is 135888. Can knock off a further upfront 5k discount or 700 installment subsidy for 10 months (amounting to an eventual 7k off). Seems like a pretty good deal considering that the OMV is estimated at 26k and this is with guaranteed COE.

Actually the price is good but for me, manual transmission = deal breaker.

Actually the price is good but for me, manual transmission = deal breaker.

The 6 speed auto is surely a great slush box but it would dampen this little 1.6L engine's performance. The 200bhp is tuned for the manual transmission, probably in view of reliability.

If you are the guy who truly appreciates this 308 GTI, manual should not be the deal breaker. In fact, auto will be the deal breaker.

If this 308GTI comes in auto, it will be 156bhp. You will be very sad when you can't pull away from all the Civic and Altis 1.8. In fact, Sonata Taxi's will run ahead at traffic light sprints. Oh God.

Sounds like quite a good deal!

My wife likes the looks, I like the power. The gearbox is a 50/50 situation. My wife prefers to eventually drive an auto but she haven't got a license yet. I am currently on manual so I am quite happy with manual.

Now still researching on Peugeot reliability. Seems still quite a few 206 and 207 on the road. Only bad review was from my colleague who drove the 407 for a few years. He likened it to Windows Vista - pretty but keep giving him BSOD (blue-screen of death). A lot of s/w issues in which he cannot start the car, stall intermittently and gears cannot shift.

Perhaps you should be reading about Mini Coopers and other THP engined cars.

The older Pugs were quite different cars so you'd probably get a better feel of the reliability from other Prince engined autos.

A manual box should be trouble free compared to the old Pugs' AL4 auto tranny.

Edited by Hotnyh

My wife likes the looks, I like the power. The gearbox is a 50/50 situation. My wife prefers to eventually drive an auto but she haven't got a license yet. I am currently on manual so I am quite happy with manual.

Now still researching on Peugeot reliability. Seems still quite a few 206 and 207 on the road. Only bad review was from my colleague who drove the 407 for a few years. He likened it to Windows Vista - pretty but keep giving him BSOD (blue-screen of death). A lot of s/w issues in which he cannot start the car, stall intermittently and gears cannot shift.

What I heard from the users that 407 comes in 2.0L or 2.2L. Seems that 2.2L had much less trouble than 2L model. Strange.

Gearbox is from Aisin

Engine is PSA engine shared with Cooper S

I think the two major things that can go wrong have been taken care of already. Do go for a test drive and you will have your answer. I did a benchmark test with a MCS immediately afterwards and it made the MCS feel sluggish. RPM doesn't spike crazily like the 308 GTi. You need to like high revs to like this car.

New 308Gti

1st saw the launch of the Gti in SGCarmart last week.

1.6 MT with good figures of HP 200,275NM of torque.Out of curousity,i went to the showroom to check it out.

Saw the headlights and fell in love with it!Black and with Bixenon white lights,DRL,new facelifted front grille.Everything about the front is almost perfectly designed that if I hadnt got my ride,i might have signed for it! *

The thing that i didnt like is the rear,the butt doesnt look good.The French should have redesign that too.Twin exhaust and rear diffuser looks nice though.18" black wheels is cool,stock tyres CSC2.sports leather seats with red stiching & Gti logo.

No sideskirts,no body kit just spoiler.SE said no parts for them yet. *

Hop into the driver's seat and the Gti logo on the "Recardo" styled seats already feels good.Whole cabin feels very airy,spacious.

The let down is the dashboard,boring,simple,steering no buttons,all hidden on the stalk behind.Explanation given by SE was the French wants you to feel it,more concentration on the road.(Thats BS coz the 508 has it on the wheels)

White coloured meter is yucky.

Not very familiar with MT driving,i hesitated for a while when asked if i wanted a test drive.Last touched a MT was 5yrs ago!

Well,I gave it a try since i was already there.

Started the engine,seemed quiet.Drove out of carpark and slowly up to 6th gear on along Lengkee.Wife said hey its smoother than you were driving on your automated gearbox!

SE said hey you doing better than i thought!

Has the Hill stop assist,the lane change signal but at only 3seconds,feels kind of too short.5s still works better.

Clutch is smooth and light,short throw gear shift.

Low end torque is good,at 6th,even at low speed,just whack it and it climbs up steadily.

Dropped gear and thrashed it and it climbs up fast.BUT,it feels more like a 3L NA,with good power,goes up smooth but not the boost on a TC.At least not what I expected on a Gti.Thats kind of a disappointment.

At 139k,its considered a good price.Love the front,the rims,the exhaust,the glass roof but it loses out when it comes to power delivery,the boring dashboard and the so so looking butt.

Its a good car,like any other Contis,Germans or French.

You want driving feel,forget it.

The 6 speed auto is surely a great slush box but it would dampen this little 1.6L engine's performance. The 200bhp is tuned for the manual transmission, probably in view of reliability.

If you are the guy who truly appreciates this 308 GTI, manual should not be the deal breaker. In fact, auto will be the deal breaker.

If this 308GTI comes in auto, it will be 156bhp. You will be very sad when you can't pull away from all the Civic and Altis 1.8. In fact, Sonata Taxi's will run ahead at traffic light sprints. Oh God.

No la, cannot be 156hp/240Nm torque (acceleration depend more on torque and torque curve rather than hp) cannot beat civic and altis 1.8. Those NA car, the torque only kick in after 3000-4000rpm. Turbo cars 1500rpm already kick in.

Perhaps you should be reading about Mini Coopers and other THP engined cars.

The older Pugs were quite different cars so you'd probably get a better feel of the reliability from other Prince engined autos.

A manual box should be trouble free compared to the old Pugs' AL4 auto tranny.

Thanks for your advice bro. Will read up more. Agree with you that for manual tranny, less likely to have problems. Generally for most makes too.

Gearbox is from Aisin

Engine is PSA engine shared with Cooper S

I think the two major things that can go wrong have been taken care of already. Do go for a test drive and you will have your answer. I did a benchmark test with a MCS immediately afterwards and it made the MCS feel sluggish. RPM doesn't spike crazily like the 308 GTi. You need to like high revs to like this car.

Sounds like the Pug will be quite a thirsty car.

Thks for the feedback bro. Will give it a testdrive soon.

New 308Gti

1st saw the launch of the Gti in SGCarmart last week.

1.6 MT with good figures of HP 200,275NM of torque.Out of curousity,i went to the showroom to check it out.

Saw the headlights and fell in love with it!Black and with Bixenon white lights,DRL,new facelifted front grille.Everything about the front is almost perfectly designed that if I hadnt got my ride,i might have signed for it! *

The thing that i didnt like is the rear,the butt doesnt look good.The French should have redesign that too.Twin exhaust and rear diffuser looks nice though.18" black wheels is cool,stock tyres CSC2.sports leather seats with red stiching & Gti logo.

No sideskirts,no body kit just spoiler.SE said no parts for them yet. *

Hop into the driver's seat and the Gti logo on the "Recardo" styled seats already feels good.Whole cabin feels very airy,spacious.

The let down is the dashboard,boring,simple,steering no buttons,all hidden on the stalk behind.Explanation given by SE was the French wants you to feel it,more concentration on the road.(Thats BS coz the 508 has it on the wheels)

White coloured meter is yucky.

Not very familiar with MT driving,i hesitated for a while when asked if i wanted a test drive.Last touched a MT was 5yrs ago!

Well,I gave it a try since i was already there.

Started the engine,seemed quiet.Drove out of carpark and slowly up to 6th gear on along Lengkee.Wife said hey its smoother than you were driving on your automated gearbox!

SE said hey you doing better than i thought!

Has the Hill stop assist,the lane change signal but at only 3seconds,feels kind of too short.5s still works better.

Clutch is smooth and light,short throw gear shift.

Low end torque is good,at 6th,even at low speed,just whack it and it climbs up steadily.

Dropped gear and thrashed it and it climbs up fast.BUT,it feels more like a 3L NA,with good power,goes up smooth but not the boost on a TC.At least not what I expected on a Gti.Thats kind of a disappointment.

At 139k,its considered a good price.Love the front,the rims,the exhaust,the glass roof but it loses out when it comes to power delivery,the boring dashboard and the so so looking butt.

Its a good car,like any other Contis,Germans or French.

You want driving feel,forget it.

Thks for sharing your test drive experience!

Probably quite hard to get a good feel driving around Leng Kee, given that there's not much road to stretch the gears.

↡ Advertisement