Cleaning of engine compartment.

Dptm

Neutral Newbie

Thinking of giving my engine compartment a cleanup, it's dusty and a little greasy.

How do u guys do it?

What solution do i use for this?

Do i need to cover/wrap up certain parts?

Heard that some car wash offer engine wash by spraying water directly at the compartment, is it advisable to do that or is better to use a rag to clean it?

Pardon my long list of questions.

↡ Advertisement

Better to cover the electrical and air intake components up with plastic bags, then use rags soaked with Diesel or degreaser and wipe the engine area, a brush will help too. Then rinses with a water hose but with a nozzle to spray the water in a mist rather than just spraying loads of water at your engine. Prevents flooding of hidden components. [;)]

Neutral Newbie

don't have access to hose, staying in HDB, guess will have to use a rag and soaked with clean water for the final wipe then.

don't have access to hose, staying in HDB, guess will have to use a rag and soaked with clean water for the final wipe then.

That would be much safer than using the hose.

Tools required for the job

1. paint brush(clean)

2. cleaning agent (washing detergent also can)

3. rags or cloth

4. small container forthe cleaning agent

5.water hose

For the dusty part, use brush to brush it off and dry rags to wipe and clean it

For the greasy part, get some detergent and mix with water in a container, a little concentrate will help, and brush the affected area.

After than use water to hose it or wash it away. If you use water hose, only precaution is - do not spray directly on the electrical parts. Should be ok.

In HDB car wash point, you can use a hose, 20c give you approx 2 pail or about 5 gall of water. It deliver by the quantity and not timing so no worri about the water not enough, get a hose and connect to it and hose down the area required. Dry it with rag and cloth. That should do the job

What I am doing now is......

Use car wash shampoo (I using the cheapo Shell shampoo) to wash the engine bay.

Use a paint brush (soft type) and clean the whole engine bay with the shampoo. Make sure that all your plug cables are secure. U dun wan water to get into the engine.

Then after you are thru with it, just take small amount of water to rinse off the washed parts. When you are done, start the engine to warm up the engine to rid of all the water. After a while (like 5-10 min) then stop the engine. Spray a bit of WD40 on a paper towel & wipe the engine cover & plug cables and other rubber parts, that will clean it and give a slight shine.

If you too free then use wax to wax all the painted parts. Wah la....U are done liao !! :)

If your engine is very dirty, then you may have to use a degreaser before you start to shampoo.....

Neutral Newbie

Know any workshop or detailer who steam cleans the engine bay?

I've seen many workshops giving "courtesy" engine wash but they just hantam degreaser and use a jet hose to spray the engine directly! [shocked]

Neutral Newbie

"Son of the Gun" is not bad. For washing/cleaning engine compartment better DIY when the engine is cool down.

let me know if u have any workshop doing steam cleaning of the engine compartment. Make sure they dun mix diesel with water and spray onto the engine.

I heard Simple Green is quite good also, but I'm thinking of a full steam cleaning service by workshop or detailer. Any JB lobang? [;)]

Neutral Newbie

Yeah, that's what most workshop do, just mix diesel and whack. If they do that to my brick I'll personally whack the diesel cocktail up their arses! [mad]

I'll scout around and let U guys know if I find one. [;)]