Load noise when car speed >80km/h

Makbyv

Neutral Newbie

When I accelerate my Lancer up to and beyond 80km/h, the "womming" noise

can be heard from the front & seem to be from the engine compartment.

When the speed reach 100km/h & beyond, the noise get louder. Can anyone

enlighten me on what could be the problem with my car.

Thanks

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

sounds like fan / alternator belt...might be timing belt too...i have this problem too...mechanic said it was the former so he change but still got noise so he said could be timing belt also (but half day job to change timing belt) so i skip that part and living wif it for now.....maybe if got time i will go down and try changing it.

Cheers

Darkness

Neutral Newbie

It would be ideal if u could be a bit more specific .... wats womming noise ?? dizzy.gif

Do you hear the sound only on the move or even when stationary ? Try revving when stationary , do you hear it ?? At 100 kph , you should be at around 2500 rpm right , try it when stationary. nod.gif

Then it would be suffice to track whether its actually a problem with a moving part or a drive part of the car thumbsup.gif

Neutral Newbie

The sound seem like coming from the engine. It's hard to write

the sound.

I could only hear it coming when moving.

Neutral Newbie

Maybe it could be tyre noise?

My friend has a 'womming' sound problem when he drives during the afternoon, but at low speed. As he accelerates, the sound is reduced. Don't know where the sound is from. But my other friends and I always suspected it could be the tyres (maybe due to balding)

Edited by Michel

There are few possibilities for this "womming " noise generated by imbalance or eccentric rotating components.

a) The front tyres maybe under inflate or there is a possibility of localised heat built-up in one of the tyre , the heat can cause tyre ply separation. The localised heat-up area can be due to a minute hole puncture (the penetrating object is still stuck in position )or heavy sudden braking

b)Faulty front wheel brearings

c)Faulty front drive shafts

d)The newly installed timing belt is loose due to wrong tension during the initial set up.

e)If your mechanics did not change the timing belt tensioner when replacing the timing belt, the old tensioner can also be the cause of the problem.

Hope this helps

I think it's best you come to our meetup on Friday night at Bishan & we ride in your car to ascertain where is the cause of the noise is coming from nod.gifnod.gifnod.gif

Neutral Newbie
On 1/9/2017 at 2:58 PM, Aeledkawy said:

I have the same problem but it's start 60 km and stop 80km

did you fix it now cuz Im having the same problem ?

On 11/30/2019 at 4:58 AM, armend said:

did you fix it now cuz Im having the same problem ?

I had this issue, because wheel bearing worn out.

Changed it and no more sound.

↡ Advertisement