Don't know what to get for Rims & Tyre

Tok_Kong

Hi All,

I will be getting my Sunny soon. I does not come with sports rim. I would like to change it to sport Rim & Quiet tyre. I am new to Rims & Tyres. Any recommendations? I have a tight buget of $500. Does you guys think I can get a 14" Rim and tyre with that amount? I will trade in the stock tyres.

Cheers

↡ Advertisement

Try to get Taiwanese rims for ur budget, avoid the Malaysian JRD or BSA rims, they have poor build quality.

Some quiet tires are:

- Yokohama Aspec dB

- Bridgestone Turanza

- Continental EcoConti CP

Neutral Newbie

Actually for your 500 budget including tyres & rims, the choice can be a bit limited.

I think you can skip those reputable tyres liek Aspec Db or Falken ST115 as these cost at least 8o bucks for a 14 inch each... leaving you too little for the rims.

Suggest instead you keep the stock tyre and get a 14 inch rim with the 500 bucks you have. Taiwanese rims cost below that for 14 inches - which means you have spare cash from your budget.

If changing tyres is a MUST, then with the limited money, go to JB and try checking out the SIMEX tyres... heard to be damn good and yes, cheap.

Neutral Newbie

Hi Tok_Kong

The last time I went to Autobacs for my regular car servicing, I changed my 4 tyres for about $240 ( Japanese Dunlop -185/65/14). The salesperson was trying to pursuade me to change my sport rim together as well for a total of $540(for a set of 4 tyres and sport rims together don't know what rim though).

You may want to try and find out from them.

I suggest you go to places where there is a higher turn over of tyres replacement rather than those smaller shops where you find piles of tyres stocking up even though they are new. Because all tyres have recommended life span and you certainly don't want to get one which have been left lying unsold for more than two years.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your invaluable advise. In this case, I should be going to places like Stamford Tyres or Autobacs to look for a package deal instead. Hopefully, once I get the new car, I should drive there directly to get it change. Maybe they are welling to allow me to trade in my stock tyre too.

Cheers

Tok Kong

Package deals from Autobacs or Stamford sounds good, you probably won't get much from trading in your stock rims and tires but do push them a bit to get more.

Another shop to look out for is the one along Alexander Rd after the Caltex Station opposite Performance Motors. They may have a good deal to offer as well. [:)]

Hi bros,

Just came back from one Rim/Tyre shop recommended by my Nissan Sales Rep. I will quoted Taiwan RM rim 14" 5spoke, weight between 6-7kg @ $100pc. And Tyre brand, Yoko Aspec DB A500,A539 or Bridgestone Turanza or New Launch Grid III @ $60pc. Total package is $600 for 4rims & tyres. This will be for my new nissan 1.5A (N16). Can anyone enlighten me is it a good deal and the RM rim is it good and the Bridgestone grid III is it good too. Thanks

Hi, if u wan to, maybe can go JB, ther taiwan rims cheap...my fren go JB, at the Giant Supermarket, he got himself a 15" sport rims with conti tyres, after trade in his 14" rims with tyres, for only S$500-$600!! That rims is damed nice...seems like metallic dark grey with low profile trye!! Wow..got the spare cash oso go there change my wan.. jus my 1 cent input.. [;)]

Neutral Newbie

If you have the time to go down to Giant Plentong, JB, then head on down to :

Eagle Tyre Marketing

No 17 Jln Ros Merah1/1

Taman Johor Jaya

81100 JB

Tel:07-3538966

look for Ah Bao or Kent.

Say a Singapore Hyundai Santa Fe(Gold Colour) sent you.

They have a wide range of rims for saloon cars from 14" to 18". Good prices and services. As for your rubber, I'd suggest you get it in SIngapore and bring it in in your car to JB to fix it to rims you set eyes on. You'll save on rims and labour cost.

While looking for my rims, I visited 40 over rims and tyre shops in JB. I went all the way up to Ayer Hitam! I got my rims from them at R$550 for a set of 4! Though they are recon, they look brand new.

Lester

post-7-1014360727_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lester

No website from ASA, have to view at the wheel shops I guess. The JB alternatives are definitely cheap for 15" and under. Try BSA if you're getting Malaysian rims, the quality looks better. My friend has a set on his corolla and never maintains the rims but the finish remained silver and bright after washing.

Neutral Newbie
As for your rubber, I'd suggest you get it in SIngapore and bring it in in your car to JB to fix it to rims you set eyes on. You'll save on rims and labour cost.

Lester

Lester,

I believe the JB custom will stop you if you try to "import" tyres in to Msian soils! I wouldnt suggest that for custom tax complications.... unless Lester, you know the rules there for such matters? [;)]

The price for the 4rims and tyres at $600 seem reasonably cheap. What is more important is the safety of such rims and not the costs. We must always remember the wheels and tyres is what hold you on the ground and give you grip and control of your car. If they are of inferior quality or does not perform their role safely than your safety is compromise.

On one hand you want to get value for money, cheap and good and on the other hand good quality stuff normally don't come cheap.

You have to decide what is more important, pay top $$ for good quality stuff and have no worries or doubt the rims may play you out in an emergency or take the risk on cheaper rims with a little question mark on the standard and quality rating.

My suggestion is if your budget is not enough at this point of time, can always used the standard wheel and tyre until you have sufficent $$ to look for a really good set of sport wheels later.

The sport rims that you may purchased is actually considered as a modification in the eyes of LTA and insurance co. Sport rims not only are lighter but also must withstand shock and impact without breaking in the event of an accident. The steel rims provided are test proven for all these unexpected events and turn out to be safe and satisfactory. Quality sport rims by reputable maker also do extensive tests on their product and with certification from approved institutation for their safety, quality and rigidity.

↡ Advertisement