Hyundai Matrix :Reliability ??

Maz75

Hi there,

1. Why would someone buy a Matrix at $65K when Chevy is available at almost the same price?

2. Lets put cost aside, if Matrix is good can it compares with other 1.6L cars like Mitsubishi GLX, Honda Civic, Mazda 3 or even Subaru Impreza? I thought I would drive a Korean car but the initial low cost really can't justify the long term FC and the lost of self-esteem (thought very important to guys). Unless, the die-hard Korean Fans here can prove me wrong leh.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie
Hi there,

1. Why would someone buy a Matrix at $65K when Chevy is available at almost the same price?

What's the price of Chevy now ? Thought Matrix are more spacious and higher as compared to others?

Thanks,

Hendy

Neutral Newbie
<<>>

Yeah, higher fuel consumption. [laugh]

Can compare with others similar class, what is the Fuel consumption ? Is Matrix in the average or lower end ?

Neutral Newbie

I think one BIG minus of Matrix brand aside.... NO AIRBAGS.. corect me if i am wrong...

I think this is impt.

If you have airbags, your inspection will incllude airbag inspections. LTA have not made this mandatory but it soon will be. They got to make sure the gas for the airbag is charged. What is the use of the airbag if it doesn't fire up. Furthermore their use is quite controversial.

Hello Everyone, [:)]

Just like to check with u owners of Hyundai Matrix,is there some of you have driven the car for more than 3 years or less.As a fren of mine is intending to book a new car but is sceptical about buying a Korean car as some say it gets problematic after 3 yrs.I told him that Hyundai has been improving thruout the years.So can u guys kindly give me your honest opinions and no offence to any Hyundai car owners.Would like to help out a fren who is first time buying a new car and budget below $65k and thinking of FC into consideration as well

Please feedback with your opinons [thumbsup]

Thanks

My present car is a Hyundai Elantra and prevously owned a Hyundai Excel. My Elantra, bought secondhand, is in its nineth year and am looking forward to my third Hyundai - a brand new Matrix! I have never had any problems with the two Hyundais that I owned and they gave excellent value for money compared to Jap cars.

so far driving matrix for 1 year no problem wif it except for the battery which only last me for 4mths,maybe because of my ICE,but they got warannty for battery...if you are looking for a good FC car,i think korean car is not the choice because the technology is not as good as jap car...like vvti,vti engine...while korean car only Dohc,sohc...for matrix,i like it is because of it spacious interior,huge legroom(cos me 6feet guy) n high driving position,better vision on road n also value for money..... if you are looking for hyundai cars,you can call my sis at 93808266,her name is irene...she is working as a SE in RTMT,authorised dealer in ubi megamart...mention that you from forum will get you better discount n freebies.......cheers

Hi Everybody,

I brought one in 2002 and sold in 2004. The reason, the Auto Trans had problem and

jerking during gear changing. I did the ATF oil changing and the problem still there.

Even, still under warranty but I'm that kind of ppl hate to go in & out of the workshop.

The mileage then is only 45,000km.

Another special issue. [:/]

My partner his Matrix is only 18 months old mileage is about 40,000km.

Guys believe it or not, his timing belt broke 2 weeks ago.

The KM still charge my partner for everything from towing to repairing, parts & labour.

When ask why the TB broke b4 the recommend time (i.e. 60,000km). and why still need to

pay. KM said this is not under warranty [thumbsdown][thumbsdown][thumbsdown]

For this TB I do not think anyone out there will change it b4 60,000km and if

it broke u know how much u need to pay for it. [jawdrop]

My partner is lucky, once the belt broke, he stop his car immediately so it did not

crash the engine. The bill is $800+++ if engine need to overhaul, then the bill

is counted by THOUSAND OF DOLLARS.

This is the only one of the incident it might happen in other makes. The judement still by yourself [lipsrsealed]

Regards,

MarcosTan

Toyota Rav4

to be fair, any mechanical parts are susceptible to wear and tear... be it expensive or economical cars... but the only difference its their after sales service, warranty and ease of availability of parts (if you decide to find your own workshop)

a typical korean car is 5k to 10k cheaper than their competitors...

I think many of you are worried of Matrix (or other models) high FC... why not put it this way, the savings you made (5k to 10k) can be treated as free petrol vouchers...

how many of us here will drive a car for their entire 10yrs lifespan, take for example, if you intend to drive for 5yrs and you save 10k for your initial purchase of a korean car, then you have 2k petrol voucher each yr, and that is close to $200 a mth!!! that's a savings. now do you still want to go light footed?

Neutral Newbie

I drove my previous Elantra without any major problems. My current Matrix is more than 2 yrs now but no major problems encountered so far.

Hi there,

Korean cars are actually not cheap. There is hidden cost. The 1.6L cars usually do not come with airbags and ABS. The absence of these items save you thousands. This neglect of safety is something that prohibit me from getting a Korean car. If you ask for them, Kia SE will tell you the cars don't come with them so you can't expect to pay extrat and get those safety devices fitted.

Regards,

OK if my experience will help yr fren to make up his mind. When I bought my matrix 1.6A 4 months ago the FC was horrible about 7 to 8 Km/L. After 3000Km it when up to about 8.5. Then decided to do some light mods....change my sparkies to denso iridium, replaced stock filter to KN performance type and installed voltage stabilizer for less the $500 and presto engine became very smooth and responsive and impressively FC now averaging 10 with best ever at 11.7 on a trip up north.My travelling mode 70%urban and 30% highway. Methink this standard is very comparable to many popular Jap cars of same wt. and of course better than most conti makes. By the way this is my 1st Korean and except for the built quality the engine and mechanicals feel solid and reliable.Refer to the J D Powers reliability survey closely followed by major manufacturers and you will be surprised by Hyundai ratings!

Hello MAZ75,

I was driving a Nissan Sunny yr 2000 before I switch to Hyundai Matrix 1.6 A more than half a year ago mainly to reduce my monthly instalment payout for the loan.

I must say that in terms of space for the family, Nissan is no match for the Matrix given that both are 1.6lit cars and this is my main concern - comfort. Leg space for hind pessenger is big, kids can stand and even sit on the floor at the rear passenger seat. In terms of entry into the vehicle, if you have older folks in the family with painful knees, the higher seat level in the Matrix allow them easier entry.

Based on lower monthly payout and better comfort, I went for the matrix. FC is of course higher considering it is 1.3 tons as compared to Sunny of slightly over 1 ton. I accepted this fact before going into Komoco for the test drive. Pick up is also a consideration but not a major one, on the expressway, once pickup andtravelling at 120 km on the expressway is stable I guess due to its weight.

Of course there are bigger 7-seater MPVs with more space, but working within your budget is one important point.

Also I find the engine quieter on the road except during wet days. The idling engine is also quiet as compared to the Sunny I had. Again - its only 8 months and I cant be sure of what might happen in the future. [sweatdrop] In terms of servicing, Komoco is on par with Nissan Tan Chong, price and attention wise. No unnecessary rip-offs.

I am into my 20000+ km servicing now and they have changed a cracked power steering belt. plus other routine maintenance parts like oil, spark plugs, air filter etc....

Hope that helps.

↡ Advertisement