Anyone driven Honda SIR with cone filters???

Cyrix

Neutral Newbie

hi bros in the house....me recently bought a SIR and thinking of installing a cone filter (K&N)....but seen the filter on the website....there are actualli 2 types..(correct me if i am wrong).....one is short ram type...the other is CAI type....any bros (pros) can tell me which one beta???...IMO....the CAI is quite long and may extend until need the bottom of my car....is tt true???...me worry abt rain water...or water from the road leh....but some say it is beta as draws cold air....as for the ram type...its short and will rest in the engine bay...(neber seen both in civics...so dunno whether my dimension correct or not).....but the bad part is the ram type suck in hot air from the engine and thus affecting low end power...but gd thing is no worries of water from road or rain....will a heat shield actualli help for the short ram type???....anyone seen or have a SIR with a CAI type installed???....will it actually be tt long and extend till the bumper????pros??? bros???...englightenment???

↡ Advertisement

Well come to the world of Civic. Get ready to mod until you seow !!

Well for a start, both SRI and CAI basically does the same thing...that is feed the engine with more air. SRI is inside your engine compartment. Cheapo version does not have the heat shield and unless you have thermo coated your exhaust header, likely chance is that you will lose power instead of gaining.

CAI is a pipe that will extend to the bottom of the bumper. This setup is good for power as it draws old air only. Problem is that your filter will get damn dirty easily. A lagi bigger headache is when it rains. Your filter will be soak and thru ineffective. Worst is that it act like a gaint straw and sucks water into your engine bay. Fret not...solution is the AEM by pass valve that is install along the piping.

Frankly IMHO, get the SRI with a customised heat shield. It will solve you lots of problem as it more practical in everyday driving.

You might want to visit Auto Dynamac at Ubi....he has done many of such setup...which he can do it with his eyes closed.

Alternatively, get a K&N drop in panel filter. Keep your filter box...ditch the resonator box below it...replace with a felxi pipe. Total cost....less than a 150 bucks. (Filter should be around 70-90 bucks and workmanship is no more than 50)

Neutral Newbie

bro..thks for the reply..dun realli understand the SRI...seen a CAI b4..but no one mentioned abt the SRI..can elaborate further???...ur ride is...???btw...wat is a AEM bypass valve???...wat's it for??? keep out water???...need to do rerular maintenance on it?????...or just let it be for the rest of my car's life????

Neutral Newbie

btw...i do have a drop-in filter.....but been planning to do a cone...for very long b4 i even bought my car...hhehehhehhe.....cost abt 100....but no workmanship involved leh...i just replace my stock filter....myself...so overall cost abt 100 onli leh...or did i do the rite thing???...hhhhhmmmmmm

Just like to add something which I read previously. There is 2 major diff btw CAI and SRI. CAI produce more HP, whereas SRI produce more Torque. Dunno how true.... but did see the dyno results. [:/]

SRI is short ram...ie shorter pipe. (Frankly I also dunno who came out with these terms.) So just take it that when people tell you CAI it means long pipe extending to bottom of the bumper ones.

Have you seen the Mugen box before ? If you have, that is know as a SRI. It basically a cone filter enclosed within a filter housing. It ensures you take in cold air, keeps heat out from the filter and higher volume of air entering the combustion chamber.

Resonator box is there to keep your induction noise down. No other function.

AEM By pass valve is there to prevent water from entering your engine thru your throttle body. It requires little maintance. Just clean it once in a while.

Ask yourself this question :

By varying the lenght of the pipe to the airfilter you can tune between improvement in torque or power ?

You gotta be kidding me.

Both work the same principle. Allow more air flow hence better combustion. CAI is good for more power as it draws cool air only. But not very practical for daily use as filter gets dirty very easily and not friendly to floods.

SRI stays within your engine bay...problem when people do not have a heat shield for this as the filter ends up sucking hot air instead of cold air losing power in the process.

Neutral Newbie

bro..i did enquire about a short ram K&N cone filter from speedworks...but Mr Loo told me they do not have heat shield....sad....where to get one with the heat shield???...the mugen box is gd???? if so, where to get one??? but if the cone enclosed within a housing...enuff air for it to suck or not???....maybe anyone can provide me wif a pic of their SRI????

Neutral Newbie

yo bro....me just bought my ride...do up my car first...hahhahahha....or else go out wif u all....lost somewhere...as dunno where u all go liao....hahaahahahah....but u can expect me.....heeehhehehhe

Neutral Newbie

wow...bro.....finally find someone riding DOHC Vtec....wat mods did u and ur frens do????...can share share ....

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

wow....get wat u mean of a twister....u say there's one from Green...where is Green??? what is green??? can elaborate more???? and most impt...how much for one???...the flexi tube from the twister need to be fix down by brackets???? or just duct to the bottom can liao??? yes...and lastly.....rain and water on road will affect it???...will the filter till suck in rain or water from the road???

Edited by Cyrix

Neutral Newbie

U can get it from www.reddotmotorsports.net

The Alloy twister is selling for $395. The flexi tube will be diverted either to the front for ram air(if feasible) or away from the engine heat. Rain water should not be a problem if the opening is not lower than the exhaust because if it floods, chances are your engine will die because of water entering via exhaust and not via air filter. I've travelled to Genting and Cameron and have been running for close to 15K km with this setup. Been through a fair share of bad weather without any problems.

Blk 3019A Ubi Road 1 #01-28

Tel :7645 9702

Look for Raymond.

If you know where Fong Kim is...they are located at the single storey factory opp them.

↡ Advertisement