Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic | 10 praises

Posted 15 October 2002 - 07:07 PM

Stepper
  • Stepper
    2nd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

What is the different between overhaul and top overhaul? dizzy.gif

Can someone help in listing out what is done during overhaul/ top overhaul?

Will gladly appreciate all inputs. thumbsup.gif

Posted 17 October 2002 - 01:17 PM

Vtim
  • Premium member
    Vtim
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Top overhaul means overhaul the top portion of the engine (normally without removing the engine), eg, Head gasket, valves, tappets, piston-ring etc..., overhaul nomally means the whole engine remove from the engine compartment, strip naked & replacing any faulty parts that cannot be reach by Top overhaul.

Top overhaul can be done on inline (straight) & V block engine but not the boxer (horizontal-opp) engine.

Edited by Vtim, 17 October 2002 - 01:18 PM.

宁可正而不足,不可邪而有余。
Me, Mr Alfarleyfordadai, A citizen of Sillypore, pledge myself to strike all the highest prize. Based on TOTO, 4D or BIG SWEEP. So as to achieve prizes, prosperity and progress for my 4 kids, wife and wallet. GOT BUY GOT HOPE, NO BUY NO HOPE. [/color][/b]
[/color]

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:43 AM

Eviilusion
  • Premium member
    Eviilusion
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Sorry for bumping this thread up.Have any of you guys done a top overhaul before? Whats the cost of it being done on SG? My car reaching its 10th yrs next yr and most prob will be prolonging the coe. Had radiator problems for a few weeks but mech says engine still okay. Just in case things get worst better to know the numbers before i take the coe plunge. TYI.....
Together We stand Alone

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:53 AM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Sorry for bumping this thread up.Have any of you guys done a top overhaul before? Whats the cost of it being done on SG? My car reaching its 10th yrs next yr and most prob will be prolonging the coe. Had radiator problems for a few weeks but mech says engine still okay. Just in case things get worst better to know the numbers before i take the coe plunge. TYI.....

One of the worst case would be engine gasket overheat and leak coolant.

You can sometimes see white smoke coming out of old lorries/vans, that's the gasket problem, engine burning coolant.

Cost to replace will probably be a couple of thousand dollars or less.

If you have an interference engine with timing belt, make sure the belt is changed at regular interval. Otherwise, damaged conrods, bent valves, etc can result - a few $Ks to replace and make right.

As for needing a top overhaul, I think there's no need, unless you want to rectify a fault, like to replace a leaking gasket.

Eviilusion praised this

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:42 AM

Eviilusion
  • Premium member
    Eviilusion
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

One of the worst case would be engine gasket overheat and leak coolant.
You can sometimes see white smoke coming out of old lorries/vans, that's the gasket problem, engine burning coolant.
Cost to replace will probably be a couple of thousand dollars or less.

If you have an interference engine with timing belt, make sure the belt is changed at regular interval. Otherwise, damaged conrods, bent valves, etc can result - a few $Ks to replace and make right.

As for needing a top overhaul, I think there's no need, unless you want to rectify a fault, like to replace a leaking gasket.

thanks......thinking of decarbonising the cylinder head and lap the valve seat after i renew the coe. 10 yrs of use there will surely be built up carbon and valve seat wear and tear. Yes i do the routine maintenance every 10k km but i think even with preventive maintenance there will be a time when it wont be enough. Last time i rode my cbr when i do maintenance they will visually check the valve seat......after 4 yrs of abuse can see a bit of dark patches around the seat and the mech says still okay but got slight leak around some valve seats. Didnt do it as i sold the bike a few month later....😁😁😁
Comp belt, timing belt and water pump was changed 3-4 yrs ago but will surely change them again after coe renewal.

Edited by Eviilusion, 01 July 2017 - 10:47 AM.

Together We stand Alone

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:50 AM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

thanks......thinking of decarbonising the cylinder head and lap the valve seat after i renew the coe. 10 yrs of use there will surely be built up carbon and valve seat wear and tear. Yes i do the routine maintenance every 10k km but i think even with preventive maintenance there will be a time when it wont be enough. Last time i rode my cbr when i do maintenance they will visually check the valve seat......after 4 yrs of abuse can see a bit of dark patches around the seat and the mech says still okay but got slight leak around some valve seats. Didnt do it as i sold the bike a few month later....😁😁😁

I highly recommend the Redline SI-1 cleaner for decarbonising. Just drop 1 bottles in the petrol tank and let it do the work.

Maybe repeat 2x.

I've used a bit only and found the spark plug carbon was much softer and able to scrap off by fingernail.

Without the cleaner, the carbon was black hard.

Before I scrapped my van at 16 yrs due to COE, I had only replace the top cover due to gasket leak.

Otherwise, overhaul is not really necessary imo.

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:56 AM

Eviilusion
  • Premium member
    Eviilusion
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I highly recommend the Redline SI-1 cleaner for decarbonising. Just drop 1 bottles in the petrol tank and let it do the work.
Maybe repeat 2x.
I've used a bit only and found the spark plug carbon was much softer and able to scrap off by fingernail.
Without the cleaner, the carbon was black hard.

Before I scrapped my van at 16 yrs due to COE, I had only replace the top cover due to gasket leak.
Otherwise, overhaul is not really necessary imo.

thats what acetone do too! 😂😂😂..not those acetone you find in diy shops but those that comes in tins that says only 'Acetone' on its front with no picture and logo. Maybe i will try what you recommended.Thanks for info bro.

Edited by Eviilusion, 01 July 2017 - 10:57 AM.

Together We stand Alone

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:45 AM

Mkl22
  • Mkl22
    6th Gear
    Author Image

A proper top overhaul also involves changing valve stem seals. For a typical engine the oil burning mainly comes from worn valve stem seals. Unless you have the wonderful vw Audi engines which burn oil from poor piston ring design. To burn oil leaking from the piston rings the mileage must be quite high, maybe 300-400k

Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:36 PM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Our COE system doesn't encourage to keep car, no matter how young or old.

I'll say budget around $5k for any repairs and forget about top or engine overhaul.

Repair when needed. If not needed, no engine trouble, don't splash the money trying to make it back to "new".

COE will end its life anyway, no matter how "new" your engine is.

Simpleonly praised this

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:33 PM

Mkl22
  • Mkl22
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Our COE system doesn't encourage to keep car, no matter how young or old.

I'll say budget around $5k for any repairs and forget about top or engine overhaul.

Repair when needed. If not needed, no engine trouble, don't splash the money trying to make it back to "new".
COE will end its life anyway, no matter how "new" your engine is.

Depends on what car! Some are worth keeping

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:33 PM

Ahbengdriver
  • Ahbengdriver
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Change the head gasket, valve  seals, valve cover gasket?  these are the primary wear n tears

===========================================================================
I am looking for another word other than "disgusting" to describe 4.62 minion but bcos I neber pass my PSLE, the only word I know is "KNNBCBB"

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:39 AM

Roh96
  • Roh96
    Supercharged
    Author Image

A proper top overhaul also involves changing valve stem seals. For a typical engine the oil burning mainly comes from worn valve stem seals. Unless you have the wonderful vw Audi engines which burn oil from poor piston ring design. To burn oil leaking from the piston rings the mileage must be quite high, maybe 300-400k

What are the symptoms of worn valve seals? white smoke from exhaust?

My car starts to consume EO, mileage 180K. I intend to renew COE but like to know what is the damage to fix this. Other than this, the car drives well.

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:06 AM

Mkl22
  • Mkl22
    6th Gear
    Author Image

What are the symptoms of worn valve seals? white smoke from exhaust?

My car starts to consume EO, mileage 180K. I intend to renew COE but like to know what is the damage to fix this. Other than this, the car drives well.

yup, oil burning.. the car to see this easily will be a BMW E90 320i.

but it depends on what car it is.

Back to Maintenance & Repairs  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic
Dynamics Mechanic Pte Ltd

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users