Punctured tyre repair

Hatchet

Theres 3 types of repair.

1) Internal Patching

2) Mushroom Plug

3) The classic "Gummy Worm"

Read up on the mix reviews over the internet and it seems the classic worm is still the best.

Theres 3 types of repair.

1) Internal Patching

2) Mushroom Plug

3) The classic "Gummy Worm"

Read up on the mix reviews over the internet and it seems the classic worm is still the best.

May I know what is Gummy Worm?

Number 1 and 2 very common but 3 dun noe? [confused]

The common worm like looking tyre repair kit that you can find easily in stores. Its the cheapest and reliable because the compound will vulcanize and mate with the tyre when done correctly.

The mushroom plug has the best sealing but the steel belting of the tire will cut the rubber plug away after some time.

Internal patching while it seal from the inside, it does not seal the hole in which water can seep through to the steel belt thus corroding it.

Usually most shop will use rubber cement to seal the hole after internal patching.

The common worm like looking tyre repair kit that you can find easily in stores. Its the cheapest and reliable because the compound will vulcanize and mate with the tyre when done correctly.

The mushroom plug has the best sealing but the steel belting of the tire will cut the rubber plug away after some time.

Internal patching while it seal from the inside, it does not seal the hole in which water can seep through to the steel belt thus corroding it.

Usually most shop will use rubber cement to seal the hole after internal patching.

Mr PM, do you know 1 of the key rational behind the internal repair?

the tyre mechanic can only inspect your tyre internally with tyre removed from rim for any onternal injury.

and are you aware of how the sticky worm is inserted into the hole? practically they are FORCING it into your hole in order to seal the hole.

base on my understanding the total diameter of the worm in U shape + the pushing kit is almost 5 - 10 time of the punctured hole,thus sometime it could cause the hole tearing or eventually after running for some distance same thing will occure.

AGAIN the idea is IS your tyre safe to continue serve you after the repaired?

Is risky to have a tyre repaired externally with hidden or internally injured tyre.

Tyre only fail when your car is on the move especially at high speed

Mr,Yeoph the screen shown clearly EMERGENCY TIRE SEALANT KIT

so this repair kit is for Emergency or temporary repair only

So best is still get the professional people do it in the recommended way (INTERNAL).

I did not mention that this is a permanent repair. I have been selling tyre changes and wheel balancers since 1976 right up to 1987. If you are old enough and have connections with tyre shops, you could recall the super power tyre changer from Repco Australia. This tyre changer was very quickly replaced by FAIP tyre changer from italy.

I write not to teach tyre changer history in Singapore but just to prove to you that I know why I am taking because of my long association with the auto service industry in Singapore.

I love to be corrected if you happen to know more technically on this subject than me :D

Mr PM, do you know 1 of the key rational behind the internal repair?

the tyre mechanic can only inspect your tyre internally with tyre removed from rim for any onternal injury.

and are you aware of how the sticky worm is inserted into the hole? practically they are FORCING it into your hole in order to seal the hole.

base on my understanding the total diameter of the worm in U shape + the pushing kit is almost 5 - 10 time of the punctured hole,thus sometime it could cause the hole tearing or eventually after running for some distance same thing will occure.

AGAIN the idea is IS your tyre safe to continue serve you after the repaired?

Is risky to have a tyre repaired externally with hidden or internally injured tyre.

Tyre only fail when your car is on the move especially at high speed

Yes sir, safety first. This was what I gather from people experiences in the forums located is the states. Singapore road and driving is nothing compared to them. Anyway is you want a peice of mind, this is the correct way to repair a tyre.

http://www.rma.org/tire_safety/tire_mainte...ty/tire_repair/

Yes sir, safety first. This was what I gather from people experiences in the forums located is the states. Singapore road and driving is nothing compared to them. Anyway is you want a peice of mind, this is the correct way to repair a tyre.

http://www.rma.org/tire_safety/tire_mainte...ty/tire_repair/

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENT

we are here to share our personal view and experience , and each of every one has own preference.

just some believe tyre just for you to roll on the road because i dont drive fast ,only from pt A to pt B

happy driving

A few days ago, i had a slow leak in 1 tyre due to a nail. Went to this shop "Tan Eng Hua Tyre" at Blk 721 Clementi West St 2 (near the Sheng Siong). Very efficient service and cheap, only $8 for a patch. Highly recommended.

• Praise 2

A few days ago, i had a slow leak in 1 tyre due to a nail. Went to this shop "Tan Eng Hua Tyre" at Blk 721 Clementi West St 2 (near the Sheng Siong). Very efficient service and cheap, only $8 for a patch. Highly recommended.

Thanks Timex1441,

Please dun go to stamford tyres, they charge $18 a patch for my isuzu D max (same size as a SUV), I went to their loyang branch yesterday evening. Until nw heart still abit pain.

Thanks Timex1441,

Please dun go to stamford tyres, they charge $18 a patch for my isuzu D max (same size as a SUV), I went to their loyang branch yesterday evening. Until nw heart still abit pain.

so how did Stamford Tyres repair the tyre?

Thanks Timex1441,

internal patch 18buks is cheap. 

external worm patch 18 buks is chop carrot head.

Turbocharged

Thanks Timex1441,

18 bucks for internal patching ? Or using the worm plug?
↡ Advertisement