I just did DIY oil change

Genie47

Neutral Newbie

DIY Oil Change is quite easy.

The agents typically jack up your car for easy simple access to the plug and have a huge funnel piped to a oil drum where they collect the used oil for proper disposal. So its not surprising that you find the oil sump drain plug a wee bit tight.

Some useful tips to share.

1. Remove the oil filler cap for easy draining.

2. Puncture the Oil filter and collect its used oil as well so that you do not spill onto parts of the engine block or on the floor.

3. Buy extra oil (like 200-500ml) and pour it into the engine block ju8st as the old oil has drained. This will help flush out sediments especially if the engine has cooled.

4. Wipe clean the oil filter conntection on the engine block.

5. Oil the runbber seal of the oil filter with new oil

6. Oil the rubber seal/washer of the oil sump drain plug. Check its thread condition and change if necessary (of course hand a standby)

7. Make sure the funnel and the oil filler opening is not a complete seal as you need the air to escape as the oil fills the rocker head. Otherwise bubble will rise from the funnel aerating the oil.

8. Gradually pour the oil to avoid creating bubble that will aerate the oil.

9. CClean the dipstiock before filling the oil.

10 After filling the oil, wait for a couple of minutes before checking the oil level. this level typically does not account for the fact that the oil filter may only be partially filled.

11. let the engine idle for 5 minutes. Stop the engine wait for a couple of minutes and check the dipstick again and tod up as necessary.

12. How tight is tight? I usually hand tighten the oil filter then apply 1/2 turn wiht a wrench. Same applies to the drain plug. Over tightening will damage the threads on the engine block.

13. Wipe clean the area around the plug and filter before starting the car and check of leaks after idling the engone.

Edited by Raycsk

(edited)

All these I have done. Except that the oil filter was hand tightened. No leaks beneath it but seems like I need to tighten the drain plug. There is a slight leak beneath it.

Instead of just fitting the filter in. I pre-fill it. Waste a bit while fitting it is not a problem. Good cheap engine oil is Delo 400 is. thumbsup.gif

Upper storey MSCPs have unusually clean parking bays to check for leaks sunny.gif.

Edited by Genie47

Hey Genie,

What is the actual part number for my Aveo? They don't seem to have the Aveo model listed.

Can I borrow your fumoto drain valve. I want to see if it will fit. I intend to change my oil soon.

I can be contacted at 9784-8842, thanks. [:)]

All Daewoos use the same valve, F106. If you like, you can use the nipple version but it is not necessary. Your next oil change with real oil after the break in is still a long way away. I suggest you let me try this valve I have first to confirm. Might be soon because the FC of this HDEO is killing me!