• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
28 replies to this topic | 15 praises

Posted 07 November 2004 - 04:20 PM

Lrrp
  • Premium member
    Lrrp
    Neutral Newbie
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

For those who DIY oil change, where do you dispose of your used engine oil? Is there an 'oil bank' where the used oil can be deposited for recycling, or would any garage accept the oil with a fee?

Posted 07 November 2004 - 07:39 PM

Burpmonster
  • Burpmonster
    2nd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

I believe that any garage would be more than happy to have you to 'help' them topup up their oil drum without $....

Posted 07 November 2004 - 07:51 PM

Ghost
  • Ghost
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

don;t think so, i remember last time is they are being paid to topup the oil drum,
but now is the other way round... unimpressed.gif now is the garage to paid $$$ to dispose the oil

Posted 07 November 2004 - 07:54 PM

Burpmonster
  • Burpmonster
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Alamak!!...times have changed...give you used oil to lay the tar road and yet have to pay $.....

Posted 07 November 2004 - 07:54 PM

Yeobh
  • Yeobh
    Supercharged
    Author Image

For every 180litre durm of used oil, the shop owner has to pay $$$$ to the oil disposal contrator who in turns sell to the recycling plant.
Visit My Facebook for the latest automotive breaking news & innovative specialty tools.

Posted 07 November 2004 - 08:08 PM

Burpmonster
  • Burpmonster
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Wah pian.....then the oil disposal contractor earn from two sides loh... ..........but ultimately....no money is easy money.......must work for it....

Edited by Burpmonster, 07 November 2004 - 08:09 PM.

Posted 07 November 2004 - 08:59 PM

Lrrp
  • Premium member
    Lrrp
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Do you know what is the market rate to pay the garage to accept about 3l of used oil?

Posted 07 November 2004 - 09:28 PM

Yeobh
  • Yeobh
    Supercharged
    Author Image

In Japan you have to pay the scrapyard about $150.00 to take your car besides the towing charges and other administration fee. It will cost the tyre shops about s$7.00 to dispose of a use tyre. There is alot of money to be make in car scraping business but not many takers because of the social stigma and great shortage of labourers
Visit My Facebook for the latest automotive breaking news & innovative specialty tools.

Posted 07 November 2004 - 09:31 PM

Yeobh
  • Yeobh
    Supercharged
    Author Image

If I recall correctly the disposal charges is s$25.00 per 180litre drum. Base on this rate you can compute yr damage. But only 3 litre the shop may up the price to five times or more to discourage DIY and protect thier interests

Posted 07 November 2004 - 09:36 PM

Burpmonster
  • Burpmonster
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

MMM.....some money just cannot be saved....unless you service your car in the North.....MOney Money MONey

Posted 06 December 2004 - 12:35 AM

Trust
  • Trust
    Clutched
    Author Image

Why not just pour into the drain?

sunny.gif smash.gif

Edited by Trust, 06 December 2004 - 12:36 AM.

Posted 06 December 2004 - 01:40 AM

Yeobh
  • Yeobh
    Supercharged
    Author Image

You seems to lack the intelligent and understanding of the serious consequence caused by your care-for-nothing attitude to both the enviroment and our drinking water. People like you do not deserve a place in this planet!!

Posted 06 December 2004 - 09:30 AM

Genie47
  • Genie47
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Listen here, we all drink NEWater here so scrap that idea. At least put it in the old engine oil bottle, label it and leave it at the rubbish disposal for the ENV guys to think of something.

Edited by Genie47, 06 December 2004 - 09:44 AM.

Men are like oysters, closed to suffering.
http://www.spritmoni...ail/264162.html

Posted 06 December 2004 - 09:44 AM

Genie47
  • Genie47
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Sorry for replying a month old post but I seriously doubt we "recycle" the basestock from the used motor oil in Singapore. It is really very expensive and the recycled basestock is more expensive than the new basestock made from virgin crude oil.

I suspect the oil just gets incinerated.
Men are like oysters, closed to suffering.
http://www.spritmoni...ail/264162.html

Posted 08 December 2004 - 12:34 AM

Turbobrick
  • Turbobrick

Genie is correct, in SG used oil probably does not get recycled so if you have to put the used oil in tightly sealed containers to dispose. NEVER pour into drain or grass area!

Here in the US the autoparts stores and quick lube shops offer free used oil recycling, EPA rules here are very strict so don't play play sweatdrop.gif

I think so fair I've passed the 50 gallon mark of recycled oil liao tongue.gif
I'm in GMT -5:00 time zone

Posted 09 December 2004 - 08:07 PM

Yeobh
  • Yeobh
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Back in the early 70's, there was this Robin group of companies, one the the big boss brother was involved in engine oil recycling. The recycled oil was sold mainly for machinery lubrication where the demands on the oil additives aree very much lower as compared to engines.
In the late 90's I recall reading in the Business Times, the company was awarded an ISO certificate. Just unable to recall the company's name.

MOE will never allow oil be burnt even at the incenerators

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:48 PM

Philipkee
  • Philipkee
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Resurrecting a very old thread. A year ago I topped up engine oil at autobacs. Now for autobacs you know it means that they have sell you the bottle of engine oil.

So what happens is i still have half a bottle of engine oil in the boot of my car. I kept it in case my engine leaks I have a backup. But now that I have a new car I was thinking of throwing it away. But throw where? How to dispose?

I read that garages might accept thinking but it's not like I can go to the nearest garage or AD and say here it is. .....

So appreciate if any bro or sis can assist. BTW it's not used engine oil. Relatively brand new. Still in the container that is half used but the oil itself is unused.

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:50 PM

RogerNg_185295
  • RogerNg_185295
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Resurrecting a very old thread. A year ago I topped up engine oil at autobacs. Now for autobacs you know it means that they have sell you the bottle of engine oil.

So what happens is i still have half a bottle of engine oil in the boot of my car. I kept it in case my engine leaks I have a backup. But now that I have a new car I was thinking of throwing it away. But throw where? How to dispose?

I read that garages might accept thinking but it's not like I can go to the nearest garage or AD and say here it is. .....

So appreciate if any bro or sis can assist. BTW it's not used engine oil. Relatively brand new. Still in the container that is half used but the oil itself is unused.

Maybe you can give it away or sell in carousel?

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:04 PM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Don't throw away the remaining "new" oil, Just use it as normal.

Your engine probably won't know the difference.

By the way, used oil are collected in drums and hauled away to be recycled. The recycling plant actually pay the workshops for used oil.

If you need to get rid of used oil, just bring it to a workshop. They will gladly take it off your hand, since they are paid for it by the recyclers.

Edited by Kb27, 02 January 2018 - 06:05 PM.

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:33 PM

Phang
  • Premium member
    Phang
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Don't throw away the remaining "new" oil, Just use it as normal.
Your engine probably won't know the difference.

By the way, used oil are collected in drums and hauled away to be recycled. The recycling plant actually pay the workshops for used oil.
If you need to get rid of used oil, just bring it to a workshop. They will gladly take it off your hand, since they are paid for it by the recyclers.

maybe his new car needs different grade oil

my old Hyundai Getz was my engine oil dumping ground,I mixed a cocktail of different brands/grades left over oil from my bikes and fed her... haha
Jamesc praised this

Back to Maintenance & Repairs  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic
Dynamics Mechanic Pte Ltd

Quick Reply

Tags: Disposal, Used, Engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users