Heavy Petrol Smell when u start up car?

Suede88

Neutral Newbie

Hi MCF pals, new 2 tis forum, got tis problem though i wish to consult u all on ..

got a 99 lancer glxi here, n recently (tis few wks) when i start up my car, there will be tis strong n heavy smell of petrol outside the car (coming from engine compartmet i think), really bothered by it .. (btw i use Shell Super 98) .. i suspect there is a blockage somewhere? izit rite?

wonder if i m the only one with tis problem .. btw i changed to denso iridium about 2 months ago .. wonder if it is related?

anyway thanz in advance! MCF is a great forum [:p]

↡ Advertisement

"strong n heavy smell of petrol"

Hi! there, Suede88,

Send your car to the w/shop, and get them to check the fuel regulator, fuel lines, also the fuel pump & filter, if it's in the engine compartment.

It could be the tube fittings on the fuel lines that's loose, check for fuel leak. You mentioned it's only when you start the car. Is the smell there if the car's not started?? If not, then it's definitely a leak in the fuel line in the engine compartment.

Do it NOW!! many incidents of combusted cars are caused by fuel leaks in the engine compartment, so, don't wait!!

BTW, WELCOME!! to MCF and enjoy yourself in here, after you've collected your car from the w/shop to solve the fuel leak problem.

Rgds

Paul Yong

Neutral Newbie

thanz Paul ! [:)]

shall send my car to a w/s for checkin as soon as possible for leakage in fuel lines ..

still wondering why it has to happen all of a sudden ..

Neutral Newbie

I got this problem a few months back. Found out that it was my FSE fuel regulator that is leaking. DIY it myself. [sweatdrop]

Its most probaly the fuel lines are leaking. [thumbsdown]

Get it check a.s.a.p. [;)]

Neutral Newbie

Oic dainses .. its gd tat u can DIY n save money [:)]

Wat's FSE fuel regulator btw? hmm n how much u reckon it would cost me to repair fuel line leakage?

Thanz [:)]

Does the fuel smell occur only after cold start or everytime U start the car? Also do make sure whether it's from the engine bay area or the exhaust as cold starts can cause the exhaust to have fuel smells as the cat-convertor has not warmed up and fuel mix is rich. [;)]

Neutral Newbie

hi turbobrick

well the smell is most obvious every morning when i do a cold start .. it seems to be coming from the driver's side (btw my fuel intake also on driver's side) n seemingly from engine compartment area.

moreover, for a cold start, i ve observed the rpm to be quite high .. arnd 1200 rpm .. maybe this combined with fuel line leakage is contributing to the heavy fuel smell ??

[:)]

Neutral Newbie

glad to know it wouldnt cost much .. really bz tis wk .. will onli check out next wkend .. hopefully all will be all rite in the mean time [:)] thanz btw

[:)]

most cars will have a higher than average rpm after a cold start while idling so that the engine can reach optimal temperatures more quickly.

[;)]

Neutral Newbie
[:)] oic .. it seems the spark plugs play a part too .. coz changing to iridiums have made my idle rpm higher .. tat is normal rite? n is a "sheeesss" sound coming from the engine after changing to iridium spark plugs common too? [sweatdrop]

Firstly, Welcom to MCF wink.gif I'm sure your stay here will be fun sly.gif.

Back to your problem.

Better get your mech to check for fuel leakage along the fuel line all the way to the injectors (if your's a FI) or carb ASAP. tongue.gif Don't want to have another car catching fire in the engine bay, in the worst case, of course sweatdrop.gif.

Hi,

Do check out your engine compartment for fuel leakage. I suspect you will not find any though. It also goes to show that during start and idling your car is burning rich mixture. Too rich that the unburn fuel escape out of the exhaust.

Slight fuel smell during cold start is normal and if left idling for too long than your cat will contaiminate faster, that is why car with cat converter are told in the manual, not to idle too long in the morning but to move off slowly after startup.

Your car is on auto choke, that is why idle is 1200. Maybe your spark is too weak during idling to give a strong spark, what is supposed to be good for high speed might not be so for slow and idling.

Edited by Sky8807

Hi there:

I wonder if a mechanic changed the spark-plugs for you.

If before you change the spark-plugs, there was no fuel smell. The fuel smell came after the spark-plug change, then its that mechanic's problem. He'd probably ruin your spark-plug thread while installing. The spark plugs did not sit properly and hence, the fuel smell.

And if your engine block is made of aluminum, and he did not wait for it to cool down before removing the spark plugs, he'll cause serious damage to the engine block.

Hope that helps.