Do new tyres steer to left?

Nav14

I changed my tyres last week and noticed that the car veers to the left when I release the steering wheel whether I am in the first, second or third lane. My mechanic told me that it is normal for this to happen when the tyres are new. Is this true?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

All 4 tyres ??

Try getting a second opinion from a computerised alignment centre. Maybe you can try Riverview Auto at AMK Autopoint. Kenny (the guy there) uses computers to do the alignment. Tell him you from MCF.

His full address can be attained from the Resources Folder. Do call him in advance as he is fully booked most of the time. wink.gif

Neutral Newbie

I think S$40 - S$60 .. cant quite remember.

He will test drive your car (with you inside) after the alignment to make sure everything is sui sui before handing it back to you thumbsup.gif

Wheel balancing is necessary to eliminate vibrations or wobbling caused by imbalance in the rotating wheel / tyre assembly.

If wheels are not balanced, the result could be

I found the answer as follows:

Have you ever replaced all your tyres only to find your car

pulling to the left?

Justin Lee - 06 April 2002

The Straits Times. Life! Motoring

Well, it is not because the new tyres are not fitted properly or that they are incompatible with your vehicle's steering geometry.

Chances are, a car on new tyres will pull to the left because the road is not totally flat in the first place.

For drainage reasons, roads slope ever so slightly towards one side, usually the left where drains are. This results in a car with new tyres pulling in that direction.

The reason that this is more apparent with a new set of tyres is because the old tyres replaced had probably adjusted to the roads' slight banking and shaped itself accordingly - tyre manufacturers refer to this as camber thrust.

After a few hundred km, the new tyres would have worn accordingly, and the pulling to the left should disappear. But if the pulling persists, your wheel alignment should be checked.

so wheel balancing is the thing they do with the machine when you change tyre. I think they hammer lead plates or something to balance.

Then, alignment is when they go down to the bottom of the car and adjust?

So its normal for new tyres to pull to the left? Just change the tyres of my dad's car to new falkens and notice the car will pull to the left when i let go of the steering wheel

So its normal for new tyres to pull to the left? Just change the tyres of my dad's car to new falkens and notice the car will pull to the left when i let go of the steering wheel

Simple find empty road and drive on the right.

If it pulls to your right then its normal.

If you see a bike coming please stop

and not like this bus driver.

:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfEU_3xJe64

• Praise 1

just MHO

1) likely is your wheel alignment is out so just go re-align your problem solve

2) possible is due to the tires ,go check alignment first and go back the shop for help(could be the tires [lipsrsealed] )

do share and continue your story thanks

Edited by Roberttan
↡ Advertisement