Consequence of not tightening radiator cap fully....

Elina

Neutral Newbie

hi, quite embarrassed to admit this, but this is what i encountered due to my carelessness...

sunday top up the water for my engine via radiator cap, but somehow did not tighten the cap fully.. [sweatdrop]

yesterday, on the way back from work, after abt 15km, felt the car vibrate suddenly and air-con not cold while at a traffic stop. as i drove on, started to hear this "tak tak tak" sound which got louder as i pressed harder on the accelerator and went up the slope at my MSCP.

luckily, managed to make it back to my carpark. opened the bonnet and saw, horror of horrors, the whitish liquid splashed onto the engine cover.

later, after the engine cooled down, topped up the water to full again. today drove the car, sounds and feels ok to me.

question is, would there be any damage to the engine?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

i think was definitely more than 1 litre, it was like 2 coke bottles, those are 1.5l each right?

qn is, what could caused that "tak tak tak" sound?? also did not notice the engine overheat signal come out.. [confused]

Neutral Newbie

oic, hope that is the case n not something more serious, think mayb i shld send for thorough check at the wkshop, for peace of mind.

Cud b your engine already starting to overheat hence the tak tak sound. Your pistons knocking.

Why is the water whitish? Is that the colour of your coolant?

Check your radiator overflow tank. What colour is the liquid inside? If it is plain water (clear) u sud add about 1 lit of coolant to it. Get the correct type for your car.

Try to remove the overflow tank & pour out the water & put it back & fill coolant.

If cannot take it out, just get someone to use a tube to siphon out the water till empty & add the coolant. Take care not to let coolant touch the paint as it will damage your paintwork.

Hopefully no major damage was done as it overheat for a short time only. Monitor the temp & coolant level for about a couple of weeks (from the overflow tank & NOT the radiator. In fact u sud not even open the radiator cap as u not so familiar with engines).

If serious, cud have cylinder head warp which is quite ex to repair. [thumbsdown]

BTW, what car u drive, Make/model/year? [confused]

Neutral Newbie

i'm driving mazda 323 1.6auto, Dec01.

thks for your advice, [thumbsup] but abit too cheem a gal like me... [:p]

Neutral Newbie

could be the water touched the camcover or extractor shielding and evaporated, leaving a whitish deposit...

Actually i think i'll be ok... as long as it sounds and performs ok now... and that the check engine light didn't come on....

Just monitor temp & coolant level for a couple of weeks. If no more problems, sud b ok.

Next time u service, ask mechanic to check your coolant (not water) & add some if not enough.

Cheers [:)]

Yes I was thinking that too, but sud be green or whatever colour the coolant is.

I suspect there is no coolant in her radiator, just plain H2O.

Neutral Newbie

If the coolant isn't too concentrated, it is possible that the deposit is whitish.... right? [confused]

Oh & btw, modern cars u don't fill water into the radiator directly.

U only check the overflow tank & top up from there.

The cooling system is a closed loop. No need to top up at all. If u constanly topping up, u have a leak in your cooling system.

The overflow tank sud b about half full when cold & full when hot. If it is this amount, don't fill water. You only keep diluting the coolant in the system till you only have water left.

Exactly. I think she always open the rad cap to check & of course she see level a little low so she adds water. Doing this many times will dilute the coolant till only water inside, which is bad for the system.

Check if there is oil when you top up the radiator from the main opening. Engine overheat can cause the gaskets to break, and engine oil would be mixed with the radiator water. If no oil, you should be pretty safe. thumbsup.gif luck!

thks bro....think u r indeed an expert in it...no wonder when i parked my car and checked the overflow tank, it was full...thought something was wrong [sweatdrop]

Not expert bro.

Just been driving for many years & i guess we do pick up some tips as we go along.

Guess everybody is the same. Just glad I can help here, that's all.

I also enjoy to DIY & that helps as we learn more stuff that way.

↡ Advertisement