Noisy Braking

Zacka

Neutral Newbie

Hi.

I just did my servicing.

And when i return from my workshop,

and i tried to brake, there is a screeching sound.

Sounds like metal rubbing with metal sound.

Some told me that this is due to the cheong verison

of the brake pad.

Is this true?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

yup

changed my brake

service my engine

change the oil

change the filter

the plugs

But now got sound.

Y?

It's actually my fren's car,

a Nissan Sunny.

I went back to the workshop they say its' like tt one.

How?

You are right, it's a metal to metal contact noise, chance your mechanics did not realise the need to apply cushioning grease or compund betwen the two components. The metal to metal contact noise is generated when the the caliper comes into contact with the pad.

Depending on the type of pad used, normally installation polymer compound or high temp synthetic grease are applied. Such application will reduce the metal to metal contact.

they have to sand down the new pads to remove the noise. if like that one then everytime anyone change brake pad kenna noise lah. don't make sense

Neutral Newbie

Thanks guys, i'll go back to the workshop

and ask them.

Maybe i'll change the pad to the original ones

if there is a need.

The sound makes the car sounds so old...

[thumbsdown]

Thanks Guys!

Neutral Newbie
You are right, it's a metal to metal contact noise, chance your mechanics did not realise the need to apply cushioning grease or compund betwen the two components. The metal to metal contact noise is generated when the the caliper comes into contact with the pad.

Depending on the type of pad used, normally installation polymer compound or high temp synthetic grease are applied. Such application will reduce the metal to metal contact.

hi, isnt it the pad being grinded by the disc?

I am refering to the back side of the pad not the face that comes into contact with the disc. With new pad if the dics surface is still flat without burnt or glaze markes ( hot spots ) then go ahead and use it if not send for surface skimming and honing. With proper skiming and honing to reduce the cutting tool directional marks , complete with proper washing to get rid of all the cutting metal particles, there should not be any more braking noise.When to surface comes into contact and one must be softer than the the other if not logicallay noise with be produce.

One way is to put some damping materials on the back of pads and the other is to prepare the pads appropriately like chamfering the edges of pads slightly before installing, cleaning away brake dust and make sure rotors are not badly 'eaten away' or surface needs to be grind ( honed) to reduce the uneven contact between pads and rootors.

Also ensure that the brake pistons do retract ( that is wheels can turn freely with just a little friction) when there is no postitve presure within the caliper.

Do install recommeded pads or good quality ones. [;)]

Try asking the workshop to install brake pad shims, they should have done that so don't let them charge you extra for their slip up [smash]

Last time I changed the pads, I tried to get new shims, but seems most w/s don't have them as the're not normally changed.

I just told the mech to do what yeobh said, apply some good grease to the shims. Never had brake squeak b4. [thumbsup]

For those pads that use shims,apply sythetic grease as cushion and for those that do not use shims apply polymer compound.

Neutral Newbie
Hi.

I just did my servicing.

And when i return from my workshop,

and i tried to brake, there is a screeching sound.

Sounds like metal rubbing with metal sound.

Some told me that this is due to the cheong verison

of the brake pad.

Is this true?

Hi Zacka,

Interested to know what brand of brake pad u are using.

↡ Advertisement