Cerato or Gen 2 ??? Serious opinions pls

Mugenchicken

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

I'm planning to buy either a proton Gen 2 or a Kia Cerato, but i really cannot decide on which car to buy after some pros and cons.

Cerato is cheaper, more spacious. Only problem is that i'm worried about the fuel consumption compared to Gen2 and the reliability of the car. And correct me if i'm wrong but i think the proton gen2's engine more power right?

Gen2 is damn nice, fast engine and better fuel consumption but abit stupid design because of my height (183cm) and the roof like only centimeters above my head when i sit in it. Although wat people say about the interior, but i kinda of like it and spare parts super easy to get across the causeway.

So fellows, please help me decide, which one? Confused...

Edited by Mugenchicken
↡ Advertisement

if die die these 2 cars, i take Kia. but goes with ur heart.... don't take comments from too many people....

But what is ur requirements? can reveal?

Neutral Newbie

Hi Julian, no requirements actually. I was looking for a 50k car. That is my budget... So ended up with these 2 cars.

I didn't want the getz or accent, i think it looks ugly (no offence to getz & accent owners), the aveo to me is quite small and under powered compared to the 2 others i mentioned and i dun really like the RIO.

Looking at how the prices have dropped over the pass 1 month that i have been searching, i believe these are the 2 cars worth having a look at.

Any other constructive comments and suggestion that will help me make a decision between these 2 cars are most welcome.

THANKS!!

Neutral Newbie

HI there,

Cerato will be better choice then Proton, as you know Proton standard is down the drain nowadays. More like lucky dip to buy a problem free car. On the PRO side proton has huge spare part market in Msia. This the only good point I can see why getting proton. Others nothing to talk about. I used to drive Wira back in Msia, everthing area goes loose after 3~5yr. [sweatdrop] dash board shaking, some oil leak, high FC, etc....

actually, if u looking for a transport in 50k range, any car will do as u r just looking for a transport, so i say u have to ask urself if u like the car. Well, i pick Cerato cause it's not a "Proton".... for myself i cannot imagine myself driving a "Proton" unless i am buying a used car.... no offence to Proton or Kia owners, as for Kia to me, will be best avoided as it reminds me of "cheap motoring".... when i buy car, i m more particular on image... so MCFers....don't bombard me as i made myself clear already....

The Gen2 is nice but the interior plastic is really terrible and is really hard like "stone age".

Well, for budget cars..... there are not many choices if u want something slightly bigger than "Getz" or "Picanto"

Well... if i were in ur shoes... i might go for the following that is within ur budget or slightly above:

Chevrolet Optra

Honda City

Suzuki Liana

Ford Laser

export proton should have better quality..dash board shaking??? i guess becos of the road condition in Msia lah.. [sweatdrop] so many holes [laugh][laugh] ..mine 6yrs old already..so far so [thumbsup]

Hi,

Gen 2 isn't that bad either. try the handling and u shall see hw cerato will perform. FC high for cerato i heard, even for M/T.

I can easily get 400km for 35l of petrol in my Gen 2. d: )

high speed stability and handling is smthing u will love when u are in NS highway.

interior looks nice in the nite cos of the orange speedo and dashboard controls. Do agree that the build quality inisde is 'plasticky'

moreover, dual airbags, alloy rims, nice color combinations for the seats, EBD and ABS.

dun tink u get those in cerato.

below is a list of cars u can consider:

1) new swift [thumbsup]

2) ignis

3) sirion

4) rio

5) accent

6) city

7) VIOS

8) Aveo 5

9) Optra

10) Passo

11) Sunny

12) Lancer

(edited)

yeah!

i do agree with u that export models haf better QA.

When i was in KL for 2 days.

saw many gen 2 break down.

but so far in sg, we dun see any. but u do see ppl going back to dealer and complain those nitty gritty problems.

d: >

Edited by Sei_fei_loh

If your budget is 50K, then I would sincerely suggest a used car.

Since there is always a premium on new car, and with 50K budget, your choice can be very limited. I would suggest oneto buy car base on ownership cost, not purchase price.

( I bought a 3.5 years Stream 2.0L for about 60K, with annual depreciation of 5+K. May be about $100/mth more than a 50K new car, but the comfort is different. )

Neutral Newbie

hey guys! Thanks for all the suggestions....

still very 50-50 leh... really having a hard time deciding. [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

I guess because of the roughly about the 4k difference between the 2 cars (cerato 4k cheaper), i'm leaning towards the cerato now.

4k i belive can do alot of mods for the cerato.

Headache liao!

(edited)

hihi..

sorry ah..

am i noe wats the selling price for cerato nw?

for ur info, aveo is selling some high $40k+ region. d: )

aint too sure abt the price, but paper advertise gen2 selling 52k+

happy scouting..

Edited by Sei_fei_loh

Neutral Newbie

Hi sei_fei_loh...

Cerato now going at $48,999 for sedan and $48,499 for the hatchback.

Actually i dun see a reason why i should buy a aveo when i can get the cerato for this price.

hey bro, im driving cerato MT. FC is about 12.5-13km/l, not that high contrary to what people say. For auto, there are those who get average of 11-12km/l.

been drving for 9 months. really a good car leh. bought it for 63k.. now only 49k.. u say leh?? [laugh]

frankly, if it bolis down to this two ...... there isnt much separating the 2 except for looks ........ Both are GIANTS in the home country laugh.gif

however, GEN 2 is defintely much nicer + sportier whereas Cerato is a bit bland + unclely tongue.gif Dun worry too much about build quality altho Proton has got a less-than-favourable reputation in that ........ On top of that, as one bro has already mentioned, GEN 2 comes very quite high specs for a budget car !!!!

I wld go for GEN 2 thumbsup.gif

Neutral Newbie

Hi Mugenchicken, I have been driving a manual Gen2 for the past 7 months and so far do not have any problem with the car. Of course it is not a perfect car, the interior feels plastic, the boot has to be opened from inside and space abit tight for tall driver, but these are minor problems to me, the main thing is everyday I enjoy driving my Gen2. Even one of my friend used to drive a twin spark Alfa thinks quite highly of this car (in term of performance). Beside this I also have very pleasant encounter with the service people at Proton unlike those busy service centre will tell you to come back 1 month later to get your things fix up.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks everyone for all the constructive opinions and sharing your experiences.

I have decided....... "Drum roll pls"...........

...... I will test drive both the cars first before i make a decision! [laugh][laugh]

Cannot decide lah.... [bigcry][sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement