Battery Working Voltage (Under what volt will it fail?)

Hondaes8

Dear all,

Anyone knows the working voltage of our battery. Any idea under what volt will it fail ??

pls advise

thks in advance :)

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

"under what volt will it fail ??"

Hi! there, HondaES8,

Battery will fail when all the cells fails.

Depending on the car you drive, 12V is the minimum, for FI, and less for carbs, as long as the alternator is still working.drivingcar.gif

Rgds

Paul Yong

Neutral Newbie

Depends on make. Jap cars can still start with lower voltage where conti car cant (due to higher cranking ampere needed). As a rough guide, I would suggest that anything below 10v at time of cold crank , better to change.

Use voltmeter to measure from the batt and get someone to crank. You will see a sudden drop in voltage, thats the reading to take. Anything below 10v means its about time liao.

Thks a lot Paul and EL69

I just had servicing done and they told me my battery voltage is about 12.5V. So was wondering if I should change my battery. I am driving a Civic by the way.

Appreciate your advises

there is 11 pcs of electrodes each emitting 1.2V ie max is 13.2 volt

anything abv 12 V is still within working limits.

(edited)

With engine off, battery holding charge should not be less than 12.4volt. When you crank the engine the battery voltage should not drop more than 9.5 volt.With engine running at 2,500rpm , switch on all the elctrical accessories to the max wattagw and switch on the headlight to high beam, the battery reading should be not less than 13.8volt.

See attached, this is a very simple battery , alternator & starter tester designe for DIY and profeesional.No need to remember all the actual readings, just see the bliking LEDs.

post-8-1117119723_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeobh