Grease your hinges ?

Andrewkb

Neutral Newbie

Just curious, does any of you grease your door hinges ? Or just some WD40 regularly will do ?

↡ Advertisement

mine still has a glob of grease on it..

should grease from time to time.. dont think wd40 is good enuff to replace good ol grease! [thumbsup]

agreed. WD will do the job fine. [:)]

or maybe you can use the KY Jelly if theres any leftovers in your drawers. [rolleyes][laugh]

dont bother with KY, just blow ur nose onto the hinges! [laugh][laugh]

Btw, why was this qn raised anyway? Does anyone have creaky hinges? If so, need to also check if they are rusted. In that case, WD can work. But IMHO, i find that grease works best for hinges, in general.

Just curious, does any of you grease your door hinges ? Or just some WD40 regularly will do ?

No need want lar

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Its ok to grease the hinge but dunt gtrease the arm ( the mechanism in between the hinges). I once gease it and my car door can't remain open especially when the wind blows or at a side slope... it just lose the spring effect of holding the door open (if u get wat I mean)

Edited by Wheeler

Old dusty thread . . . kack kack.

Any bro know where to buy grease?

I bought grease [hair gel jar size] from Homely Hardware Superstore, for my equipment servicing jobs.

I feel oil is better than grease, cos grease is too thick to get into the small gap in door hinges to lubricate. Singer oil for sewing machine is good but need more frequent application cos its rather light. Also can use engine oil.

Hinges should always be greased. Oil will flow away and disappear, grease doesn't.

There are certain applications that you should use oil and certain applications it should be grease.

Using WD40 for everything is one of the worse thing anyone can do. It is just a very light oil that disappears very soon. It is meant as a quick fix to loosen a bolt or as water displacement as what the WD stands for.

• Praise 1

Oil base lubricant are also used for door hinges in BITOG forum.

Refer: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbth...2251&page=1

Theory is the grease won't be able to penetrate deep into the hinge where the pin are to lubricate. A thicker oil lube would do a better job. Oil won't just "flow away and disappear" like you mentioned, they will leave behind a slippery residue.

To add: Grease is good for protecting hinges against rust and water-resistance by coating on the external.

Edited by Octopus