Radiator slight crack

Pisces69

Hi All,

I noticed a slight crack (< 1 inch) at the top of the radiator which does not cause any problems like heavy leaking.

I just top up the reservoir tank every couple of months as the leakage is very slight.

I was thinking of just using "Holts Radweld" to just seal the leak.

Anybody here used this b4 and any advice to give on this product?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

Why not just change that top section of the radiator. It probably doesnt cost much.

My 2cts worth.

Cheers.

It is perfectly Ok to Cold weld the crack at the top cover. Make sure you "V" groove the hairline crack with needle files so that you can get enough cold weld material into the crack hairline.

Edited by Yeobh

I know about "blazing" the crack but have to remove radiator & drain the coolant, which is very troublesome. Plus I just put in new coolant. [:/]

I was thinking about the Radweld, which is very easy to do (only takes a few mins) & can be done myself.

That's why I am looking for feedback if anybody tried it & does it work [confused]

Yup, That's about what I tot. Last time I changed the rad to a 2nd hand, I was also charged about $100.

I was thinking of using the Radweld as it's only $5 & I can DIY in less than 1/2 hour.

Also the crack at this moment is very small & does not pose any problem, but it will get bigger with time & might cause me some major headache in MY. That's why I need to get it fixed b4 that happens.

Hw young Ur ride.

Wat ever U do, Just do it b4 it get worse.thumbsup.gif

My last ride radiator minor crack on it's last 9 mths prior CEO expired. Hold back for 2 more months and ended seeking help from TOW service @ TPE.blush.gif

i was given choice then too....i opt for recon radiator...

had tried to repair myself with some diy welding cream...cannot leh....good luck to u bro nod.gif

Neutral Newbie

I ever used metallic epoxy to seal a small crack in the radiator in my Daihatsu Charade. No leak for 6 months and car sold.

My corona is coming to 17 years young. [laugh]

I noticed the crack about 1 month ago but I think i'd better fix it b4 it becomes a major problem on the NSH, 100 miles from SG on a dark & lonely night. [shocked]

Maybe I try the radweld first & if it don't work, I change to a 2nd hand radiator. My fear is the radweld might damage some of the internal components or the water pump.

That's why I'm asking if anybody has tried it b4 & if there r any drawbacks to it. [sweatdrop]

Yup. If I cannot DIY, i'll get a re-con rad from the scrap yards or if I get a good & reliable shop who can cold weld it.

OK Thanks for the advice. It cud just be worth a try for the metallic epoxy.

I supposed u can do it without draining the coolant out??? But must throughly clean & prepare the area to b treated first. Right?

Ha..shocked.gif What's the chance, my last ride was a Corona too. (Big-Back-Side)

I did enjoy my Corona veri much, but scrapped b'cos parf too high back then (over 20K). blush.gif

My passion for the Corona as follow,

• Easi maintenance
  • Low consumption
  • Spacious storage
  • Comfort sitting
  • Solid Aircon
  • Elegant
  • Reliable
  • Durable engine

Neutral Newbie

the crack was on top at that time. Water only seeped out when hot. So I never drain coolant. Good luck.

↡ Advertisement